“Tasty!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tom Yum - CLOSED

Tom Yum
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: wonderful little hole in the wall. food was excellent and very reasonable price wise
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Tasty!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I had thai food at a number of restaurants in CPT and this was the second best place! :) The quantity and quality of food is of good standard. would definately eat here again.

Visited September 2013

Frankfurt, Germany
“Authentic tom kha soup....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

I justed wanted to have a Tom Kha soup and I walked in this restaurant.
It is an average decorated restaurant and atmosphere seems to be cozy.
I wantedTom Kha with sea food thai spicy but cook had mercy on me and did not serve me very spicy. But is was almost as tasty as the famous soup place in Rama II, Bangkok!

I would recommend this place.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank MSingh G
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fresh ingredients,exquisite food and lovely service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

This excellent and reasonably priced restaurant has become a regular stop on my yearly visits to Cape Town. The menu is diverse,and you can go almost everyday and still find new dishes to try after a month! The portions are really big and everything is freshly made to order, spiced to perfection (hot or not with clear ratings on the menu) in an authentic thai fashion.
The waiters/waitresses are charming and very professional,while taking time to chat without ever being intrusive.
The decor is calming and stylish,conducive to a very relaxed casual atmosphere.
Try the PadThai,it is very tasty,but so are the curries and all of the other dishes:the only problem is choosing what you will have! Hope TomYum will stay in business for a long time...and according to the popularity of the place,especially on fridays and saturdays,it should be the case :-)

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank JacquesMS
Cape Town
“SO CONSISTANT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

After a few visits to Thailand and eight cookery courses later I found it near impossible finding an authentic Thai restaurant in Cape Town.
Some years ago I did a critic on a well know restaurant, and, when leaving the manager asked me what I thought of the meal (how he knew I was doing a critique – I do not know), the Thai red chicken curry should not be a watery mixture of coconut milk (watered down) with chicken floating in it, the Tom Yum Goong soup should have lemongrass and roasted chilli paste, both were omitted, the chef agreed with me, but, told me he was out of stock and he was just cooking for South Africans, I suggested that Boerewors should be a speciality of the house if that was so.
Tom Yum has an extensive Thai & Asian menu every dish that I have ever eaten was not made for South Africans, but, more for Thai chefs to enjoy, and, they also keep my favourite Grappa – long may they serve us.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Maxleigh
Riebeek Kasteel, South Africa
“TOO SWEET, NOT SPICY ENOUGH”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Very nice waiter and pleasant atmosphere, but I'm afraid that the restaurant did not bring back memories of Thailand. Thai curries should have that exquisite balance of sweet, salty, sour and spicy. My duck curry was very sweet and lacked bite and sourness. I put more chili om top but it simply isn't the same as all the ingredients cooking together to develop one whole dish. It didn't have enough lime juice either. My partner's massman curry was almost sickly sweet - it is a sweet curry and gets pineapple juice - but it was way over the top. I might go back but will this time order the chef to fire it up and use less palm sugar. Thai restaurants should stick with their authentic roots.

• Visited July 2013