“Never again!”

Ranked #99 of 155 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Ruesselsheim, Germany
“Never again!”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Let´s start with the small things I dislieked, when we arrived at Conifer Cape guesthouse. Our first night we spent in a room, which wasn`that clean and towels and handsoap were missing. Not a big deal, just bad prepared. I `d like to mention as well, that there was no safe in the room to keep our personal belongins. So far not that worse, but it will become. The manager offered us another room for the next day. But as we left the guesthouse early in the morning, by putting the"DO NOT DISTURB" sign to the door, we had been really suprised as we noticed, that the stuff grabed all our luggage, clothes, cosmetics...which weren`t packed, and moved it into another room. Actually I was upset, they ignored the privacy sign and I felt an invasion of privacy. So I checked my wallet, which was in one of my bags, because there was no safe in the other room and noticed, that all my dollar bills were stolen out of it! Same happened to my husband´s wallet. We talked to the manager immediately, but he wasn`t a big help!. I`m still annoyed that we didn`t call the police that day. So we decided to move to another guesthouse the next day. We really had problems with the manager to get our money back for the three more nights we actually wanted to spent at Conifer Cape guesthouse. And of course, we didn`t get back the money, which was stolen, Would you like to stay in an accomodation, where you have been ripped by the stuff?!
And by the way, the breakfast wasn`t that outstanding like it is mentioned in other ratings-sorry!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Kathrin R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at Conifer Cape. Our room was nice and the bathroom had a claw foot tub that filled quickly as well as a great shower. Our bed was very comfortable and the bedding appropriate for the weather. My husband and I slept likes babes with the window open and a light blanket. We woke up to a beautiful view of the red wall framing green leaves outside the bedroom window. There was an air-conditioner but with the great weather we had when in Cape Town we chose not to use it.

Breakfast at the guest house is lovely! Christo makes an amazing cooked breakfast fresh every day. His eggs are deliciously unlike anything else we had while in SA. Make sure to not miss them.

Christo is more than a manager. The house has been in his family for years and although he manages it, he is also an excellent host. He handled my husband and I, who prefer to carve our own vacation, very well and graciously offered to help where he could. He also went above and beyond when he offered to find a guest house for us to stay for the third leg of our vacation as he was fully booked. Christo worked around our lack of a GPS, limited email link, closed roads in Cape Town because of an event and helped us find restaurants, areas of interest and even drove us to a guest house when he was full. This is not what a Hilton or Holiday Inn would have done!

I would highly recommend the Conifer Cape. Even though my husband and I were there as a couple, I think this guest house would also be good for families. The room we were in had an attached room with another bed. If you had babies, I would say to talk to Christo for access to a fridge as there isn't one in the room.

Room Tip: Get a small car as the parking space is a squeeze as is all other parking space in Cape Town. Let...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leoandena
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2013

My friends (themselves Capetonians) found this gem of a guesthouse for me and it could not have been more perfect. I stayed here for two weeks and was very sad to leave! Christo, the Guesthouse manager, and his staff made me feel at home - if in a more luxurious home than my own! - and cooked the most delicious breakfasts.

The early 19th century house is charming, the room was kept spotlessly clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. My room opened onto the garden and as I was here for work as well as vacation this made my room and the garden an ideal space for reading and studying as well as relaxing with a coffee.

There is parking right outside the hotel entrance, but the spaces are rather small - if hiring a car I'd recommend you chose a compact. There is a large shopping centre - The Gardens - nearby (easily walkable) with shops, cafes and ATMs and a bigger centre with restaurants and a large gym a little further away (5 minutes drive), both with ample parking.

The guest house's location is quiet and peaceful yet with easy access to the city's sights. The guesthouse manager was happy to recommend places to visit and dine and to suggest and book tours for guests. He even joined me to sample a tour of the wineries. For Valentine's Day he treated guests to home-made chocolate-dipped strawberries, strawberry muffins and bubbly. What could be more delightful! A wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: One of the rooms on the ground floor opens directly onto the garden.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Joy S
Werther, Germany
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We have twice visited the Conifer Cape and both times were a pleasure. The rooms are large and roomy, light and cool. The bath rooms good and the breakfast excellent. The manager Christo and the staff of the Guest House are friendly and obliging. When we return to Cape Town then this is a real, "not to miss" stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RTF549
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

We spent two nice days there. The 4 Room in the first floor is very nice with views to the extraordinary well done garden. The breakfast is outstanding!
We highly recommend this hotel to stay in Cape Town. The neighbordhood is nice and very quiet.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Enriquegrey
Gaborone
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We have just spent 4 days at this beautiful guest house and slept very well on good mattresses with lovely linen and comfortable, expensive pillows. No scrimping of the light bulbs in this establishment either and proper bedside lights to read by. Both the bathroom and bedroom have heaters, though we were in summer so used the fan instead. Two large sash windows overlook a beautiful garden and have blinds so a nice breeze is possible if you prefer.

No need to unpack on the floor as there are sturdy places to put your cases (both) and plenty of strong hangars in the wardrobe.

In the morning there is a banquet of cereals, fresh fruit, full brekko freshly cooked non-oily deliciousness with proper plunger coffee. The walls have many signed photos of famous musician guests - even Donald Swann - who stayed there over the years. Or you can sit outside under the oak trees.

Best of all the hosts were most welcoming and friendly and helpful, IF we wanted help. At no time did we feel cornered - though THEY might have! If they did they didnt show it!!

Room Tip: There is one room on the ground floor but the rest are upstairs. The bannisters are strong and the...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Flea F
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Really charming, beautiful guesthouse in the center of Cape Town. The host, Christo, is extremly welcoming, competent and helpful. Christo drove me around for an hour to get me a bottle of wine! The bedrooms are beautiful, tidy and well equiped. The breakfast room and the gardens are beautiful.Safe neighborhood. Breakfast is exceptionally good! Overall, Conifer Guest House feels like home only nicer!

Room Tip: All fine! Very quiet neighborhood!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family