“Well Positioned Italian”

Il Leone Mastrantonio
Ranked #32 of 1,155 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: During our recent visit to Cape Town, we ate at this restaurant on the strong recommendation from the owner of our hotel. He was right! Very good good, BYOB nad great staff and a very friendly efficnet waitress. great food...highly recommended
Knysna, South Africa
“Well Positioned Italian”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Il Leone is an easily accessed charming restaurant close to the Waterfront and the CBD. You are greeted by the enthusiastic host and the service was excellent . The food was very good and the linguini prawns special was excellent as were the rack of veal and the beef pasta. The starters were generous and good as were the creme brûlée and creme caramel. The wine list was good but the choice of ordinary whiskies was a bit limited.

• Visited December 2013

• Hebrew first
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Not what we expected”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had heard good things about this restaurant and were looking forward to some good Italian food. The decor is fashionable with plenty of tables down and upstairs. The menu had a large choice and we selected mussels & salmon to start. the salmon was OK, but the mussels were swimming in a tomato sauce. My wife had to ask for a bowl for the shells and a finger dip, the bowl for the shells turned up, but no hand wash, the napkin had to do. for the main course I had a ravioli which I could just about see through the spicy tomato sauce, the chilli was over powering and I had to scrape it off the pasta to get a hint of the ricotta. I still felt the burning in my mouth when we arrived home. to finally cap it off we were overcharged 155 rands for something we didn’t have. I appreciate we may have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time and many more people would have a good meal, but to many things were wrong about the meal. We had far better meals in Cape Town

• Visited November 2013
Jaisalmer, India
“Very disappointing experience”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I had dinner with three colleagues at Il Leone in November 2013. The welcome is friendly and the restaurant has a pleasant atmosphere, but the food is very poor.
I ordered a plate of mixed antipasti for the table. What arrived was a sorry collection of ham, salami and stodgy mortadella, thick cut and lumpy.
I then had the Panzotti, which was big and stodgy, swimming in melted butter but with no real flavour.
My florentine steak was well cooked but lacked any seasoning. The vegetables were grilled and dry.
The only redeeming feature of the meal was the wine list, which has some unusual wines at reasonable prices. Unfortunately that isn't enough to make me try again.

• Visited November 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excelent!”
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Great food, service and environment. Trully recomend it when looking for a great pasta and having a good time!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great service exceptional food”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Visited for dinner and was blown away with the service we received from Tina and the food was exceptionally good too. Recommend this to all visitors to Cape Town - a great Italian experience.

• Visited October 2013