“Very good dining”

Il Leone Mastrantonio
Ranked #30 of 1,156 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: During our recent visit to Cape Town, we ate at this restaurant on the strong recommendation from the owner of our hotel. He was right! Very good good, BYOB nad great staff and a very friendly efficnet waitress. great food...highly recommended
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very good dining”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

A very nice Restaurant and helpful staff. The broad menu provides a good range of dishes for every taste. A single person I arrived without a reservation and, though very busy they found me a table in moments. I have dined here before but it's a while ago and for whatever reason I have not added a review, I don't know why not?
My waiter was helpful and happy to talk through various dishes I asked about. One thing that was apparent was that the dishes on special seem to be the same each time I have visited. If they are so popular why not add them to the menu permanently?
I must agree with another reviewer in commenting that this restaurant can get rather noisy with inconsiderate groups of 'boisterous' alcohol fuelled diners. On the evening I was there a party of about six or seven including three of the rudest ill-disciplined children I have seen for a long time.
A girl of about 8 or 9 years of age running around the tables and at one stage ran into and was knocked flying by the Head Waiter. Mummy's reaction...... Get up off the floor darling! Fortunately it was not a waiter carrying hot food she ran into. Moments later, all three children were climbing up the Stools at the Bar and one of them knocked an order of drinks flying off the bar. Parents reaction ? Nothing... not a word or move to control or discipline the children. At this point had the group not been preparing to leave, I would have walked out! The Head waiter, after the party left, visited the other tables apologizing for the noise and disturbance. I would comment that children are always welcomed into Italian Restaurants and treated as future customers.
This group were clearly not South African. S.A. Family groups would never tolerate such behaviour.
These children were not babies or toddlers and it was obvious they were allowed to run riot wherever they are and, from the state of the table on leaving they clearly had never been taught how to behave properly or use cutlery at a table. After they left the waiters were on hands and knees picking up debris from the floor under the table. Quite apart from the incident at the Bar.
This kind of customer group could destroy a good restaurant very quickly and I will certainly look more carefully next time I visit Il Leone.
Once order was restored, I enjoyed a good meal with good service. I chose a steak with some outstanding fresh vegetables in season which was as good as it gets. Starter and dessert were equally good and were served with good timing.
Il Leone is not cheap, but it is worth the money......... with one reservation........ They need to ensure the kind of behaviour described above is stopped or it could do serious harm to the business.

• Visited March 2014

• Hebrew first
Alicante, Spain
“Doesn't live up to the hype!”
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Twice in two years we have visited this place and if we're back in Cape Town next year I'm afraid it will be avoided! Service is good from some staff but bordering on cocky from others and that would be fine if the food was exceptional but it falls well short of that!
My friend and I also felt very bloated on the verge of being slightly poisoned the following morning and all we can put it down to was a spaghetti carbonara starter we shared or the Don Pedro's we both had but either way something wasn't right!
The line fish of the day main course I had was not to the standard you would expect in a establishment of this supposed reputation!!!
But the icing on the cake was being denied access to the 2 wifi connections, not good buisness sense!!!
Could be so much better!!!

Cape Town
“My Favourite Italian Restaurant in Cape Town (not a pizza joint)”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This place is one of the very few Italian restaurants that I will specifically order pasta at. I don't know why but almost every time I order pasta in a Italian restaurant (or pizza joint) I am dismally disappointed. I end up having to flavour it up myself with the free garlic, parmesan and chilli just to be able to eat it. Not with this place. Their pasta's (and all food really) are divine!!! I am actually salivating just thinking of it as I have not been in so long (we don't often eat in town unfortunately as it's a 30 minute drive)

The restaurant is warm and cozy, simply decorated but still classy and I love the historical old building it's nestled in, and the genuine hardwood floors!

The staff from what I can remember are well-trained, polite and efficient - the type whom I guess get a daily update from the chef as to what to recommend, what's in season and therefore superior or what may not be in stock (before you set your eyes on something) & can also point you in the right direction with wine choice/pairing. The way restaurants of this caliber (or any caliber really) should be!

I won't lie - Il Leone is not cheap, but it really is a treat and particularly a great dinner place for a romantic meal for two!

Visited June 2013
Cape Town
“Total Disaster”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Although a reservation was made more than three weeks ago, upon scheduled arrival after a Show (9 p.m.), there was no available table. We were advised that guests who were expected to leave were still dining. Eventually a table for 10 was found upstairs and, as there was no other option and too late to go elsewhere, we decided to accept it (we were three adults). It was not pleasant having to sit bundled together at a large table.

The noise level was horrendous. We literally had to shout to be heard - no carpets, curtains or noise absorbing tiles - sorry not a venue should you be looking for a pleasant evening with quiet ambience.

All non-pasta/pizza mains are supposed to be served with vegetables and potato wedges. Once again an apology - the restaurant had run out of POTATOES and would not substitute pasta without an additional R30 charge - in my view an unacceptable alternative.

I requested a strong cappuccino and was charged for two cups.

The prices were high in relation to value - food was tasty enough but my Saltimbocca arrived luke warm.

This is one of the worst restaurant experiences I have ever had in Cape Town and will give
IL Leone Mastrantonio a strong thumbs down.

• Visited March 2014
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Very long wait on a Saturday night”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Service here was horrific. When we complained we were told "it's a Saturday night." The logical conclusion is they don't want customers on a Saturday night because they aren't equipped to serve them. Food was okay, nothing memorable but the poor service was.

Visited March 2014