“horrible hotel do not waste your money here”

The Amalfi Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #101 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
London, UK
“horrible hotel do not waste your money here”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Staff unattentive and ill equiped self catering facilities. Front desk seems to never know what they are doing. Stay was frustrating and noisy. We requested a bigger room, which we were willing to pay for, reception kept saying they would get back to us and just never did. After 5:00 nobody available at desk. We requested outside furniture which was twice ignored and eventually just gave up as we never did receive this. In general do not waste your money here. I have never been so frustrate with a hotel and we travel loads. HORRIBLE!!!!!

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank globetrot01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hungarian first
Johannesburg
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We were staying in Cape Town for four days. At short notice our son decided to join us, unfortunately the hotel we were staying in could not accommodate him, but phoned around on our behalf to find something for him.
Amalfi had a "room only" no breakfast available which was quite close to where we were staying. We were quoted what we thought was a high price over the telephone, being told it was a reduced price as a favour to the hotel in which we were staying, but we decided OK as it worked for us, as he would be joining us for breakfast. When we arrived to check him in, we were received by a different person to whom our hotel manager had made the arrangements with over the phone.The price that reception then charged us was considerably cheaper than the so called special price given to our hotel manager as a favour....simply put the so called special favour price from we assume was a manager/owner at Amalfi was a total rip off!!
Further to that the room was very noisy, my son got accidently locked in the bathroom, wind blew in the room, lots of roadworks and building work happening very close, terrible place, we would not recommend this accommodation at all.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank PhilAyres

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We found a good 2-night deal on Booking.com for this place which included secure parking and a wi-fi coupon. The staff was very friendly to us--we stayed for two nights over a rainy weekend and having visited all the sites we wanted to see our first time around Cape Town, we just needed a base to recharge. The suites had a fridge, microwave, electric kettle, dishes, and flatware and were simply decorated--met our needs. Within a block away from Amalfi you will find a Spar, Woolworth's, and Checkers for your grocery needs and several laundromats--We went to Mr. Laundry (50 ZAR up to 5 kilos). There was also a bagel place called 'New York Bagel' nearby and a decent Asian take-out place called 'Shin Thai' right across the street. The coffee shop 'Kos' (free wi-fi) in the lobby of Amalfi had a friendly staff and solid breakfasts and coffee. All in all, not a bad option if you need a convenient place to crash in Cape Town.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Hossegor, France
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I have stayed twice at the Amalfi. It provides good value for the price at 450r for a single room. I also like the kitchenette. The first time I stayed there I got my own gate opener, so I could come and go as I please, but the last time I stayed, they no longer has any available, and I had to ask the front desk person to escort me to my car everytime I wanted to leave. This was fine until I was actually ready to depart, and the staff left me in the car park, trapped! The staff apparently had gone home, and totally forgot about me! Thankfully a neighbor saved me with his own gate fob. Also the shower was totally freezing and I took a miserable shower. When I informed the manager, she said "we will check it out". That's it...and then asked me when I planned to return to their hotel. I told them never. I don't recommend this hotel, it's running on a shoe string budget, and the staff really don't seem to care at all. Also the room was dirty.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank travelsurfer1313
Johannesburg
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed at Amalfi for 3 nights as a couple, and overall we were happy.

Pro's:
- Kind and helpful reception staff, good consistent cleaning staff.
- Staff helped bring in our bags from the Amalfi parking lot where we parked our hire car. We found the parking convenient and safe.
- The position is excellent. Convenient to hop in the car and drive anywhere.
- Close to all amenities, you couldn't ask for a much better location.
- The room and bathroom were both clean. The aircon was great. The flatscreen TV was nice to have but we didn't make much use of it being on holiday.

Con's
- We thought we got a great room with a small seaview, on the left hand side corner of the building, on the first floor. We had a nice balcony and thought that the sea side and sea view would be a real treat, but it wasn't. For some reason THE BIRDS do not sleep in Sea Point, and they kept me up all night every night. Sounded like a bunch of Hardy Da's all night long. Also, the building is situated close to the neighbouring building, and we were kept up all night by an arguing couple in a flat in the building next door overlooking our room.
- The toilet seat of our toilet was rather small and uncomfortable, although it was clean.
- The basin in the bathroom was close to the mirror and i found the space small when i had to brush my teeth.
- The bed in our suite was a double bed, and not a queen size which was quite small for us being used to a king size at home.
- The one night we arrived back at Amalfi late and almost didnt find any parking bays left, we were lucky enough to squeeze into a tight spot. The next morning we were inconveniently disturbed to move our hire car in the parking lot as the wall next to the car needed to be painted. They should have cordoned off the area or informed us the day before.
- The kitchen cutlery and crockery is very mediocre and average. Did the job, but no more.

Would i stay here again? Yes. It is great value for money.

And also in most likelihood we would stay in a different room with different amenities etc. Every room has different beds and different fridges and furniture and stuff, so there is little consistency and you may be luckier in some rooms with bigger or better beds, etc, than others.

Room Tip: Choosing a good room is a toughy, but I would suggest you ask if you can look at a few rooms first b...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eddy B
Paris, France
Reviewed 14 March 2012

nice, clean, spacious rooms, balcony not far from Spar and restaurants, And you can catch the bus (big white one narrow or something like that) witch is taking you like in 10 min to Waterfront.

They washed our plates and glass every single day.

Room Tip: not the street view, see view is really quiet, but you can t see actually the see.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Babucica
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Checked out of the Westin after work stopped paying, found this place amazingly clean and almost too good to be $70 a night. Air con, clean rooms, balcony and great staff - seriously think having the outdoor bit makes it better than the Westin. Plus it's close to real food and the beach. Don't be put off by no pics, it's awesome.

• Stayed February 2012
#57 of 109 in Cape Town Central
The New Tulbagh Hotel
The New Tulbagh Hotel
#95 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to The Amalfi Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!