“Ok from outside, rotten from inside”

The Amalfi Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #101 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
london
“Ok from outside, rotten from inside”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

When I arrived at Amalfi, I was pleasantly greeted by staff and got an overall good impression of the place, after that it went all downhill once I was booked in, I wish I could have ask for my money back or paid at the end of my stay, because I would have left after one day, on my retun the first night there was no parking bay available, so I had to park my car outside, which I was charged every morning by street collectors, out of ten nights I got parking twice in a bay. My room was dirty and full of woman's hair. Long black hair. I complained at reception and my room was cleaned again, but on my return there was still hair in my bed and on the floor! As I was on holiday I would have like to sleep in, but no chance , as they check the electricity every morning and ask if you want your room clean, they do not have. DND cards for guest. On closer inspection of the room, the fridge was old and unclean, room was not executively furnished. This place should be called "Amalfi 2* apartments" NOT Amalfi executive apartments" there's nothing executive about this place. The staff was friendly but not professional or experienced to deal with international guest, the wallway was very noisy in the mornings hen the staff clean rooms, shouting fom one floor to the other, would never ever stay here again, even if they charge me half price, No No No, HIGHLY NOT RECOMENDED" The only positive to this place are the location

Room Tip: No to room 302
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank izzymohh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hungarian first
South Africa
Reviewed 9 February 2013

The term Executive Suite is deceptive. This was the only vacancy at a very busy time in Cape Town. At least it was a roof over our heads. The view is onto another building through broken blinds and when one opens the toilet window, anyone who goes past can look in. There is a balcony but not much to see.
The security was good enough though as one needs electronic cards to get in the elevator from downstairs.
There is a bed, couch, kitchenette area and in our case, a mouldy bathroom (probably because no visitor ever felt inclined to open the window) near the entrance.
If you like to eat in your suite, there are minimal facilities. If however you do not mind just sleeping in your room and you are out the whole day, you may be able to cope.
The linen was clean and in good enough condition.
Staff seemed pleasant enough and there are some eateries downstairs which we did not frequent.

Room Tip: Choose a room furthest from the lift. For then you are unlikely to have passers by and this will en...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SouthAfricaConcerned

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

We had a 2night stay at Amalfi and were Pleased with the warm welcome from the reception. The location is good as it is within walking distance to Sea Point and the Hop On Hop Off bus( stop 14 on the Red Line). SuperSpar supermarket and Clicks Pharamcy is just within walking distance to get your necessities. There's a lovely place to get good breakfast just outside the reception area. however, I'm not really pleased with the cleanliness of the bed sheet and pillow. It kinda affected my opinion. Maybe it's just luck that we got that room. Something to consider if you guys wanna consider a short stay though.

Stayed December 2012
1 Thank yagiza
London, UK
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Staff unattentive and ill equiped self catering facilities. Front desk seems to never know what they are doing. Stay was frustrating and noisy. We requested a bigger room, which we were willing to pay for, reception kept saying they would get back to us and just never did. After 5:00 nobody available at desk. We requested outside furniture which was twice ignored and eventually just gave up as we never did receive this. In general do not waste your money here. I have never been so frustrate with a hotel and we travel loads. HORRIBLE!!!!!

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank globetrot01
Johannesburg
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We were staying in Cape Town for four days. At short notice our son decided to join us, unfortunately the hotel we were staying in could not accommodate him, but phoned around on our behalf to find something for him.
Amalfi had a "room only" no breakfast available which was quite close to where we were staying. We were quoted what we thought was a high price over the telephone, being told it was a reduced price as a favour to the hotel in which we were staying, but we decided OK as it worked for us, as he would be joining us for breakfast. When we arrived to check him in, we were received by a different person to whom our hotel manager had made the arrangements with over the phone.The price that reception then charged us was considerably cheaper than the so called special price given to our hotel manager as a favour....simply put the so called special favour price from we assume was a manager/owner at Amalfi was a total rip off!!
Further to that the room was very noisy, my son got accidently locked in the bathroom, wind blew in the room, lots of roadworks and building work happening very close, terrible place, we would not recommend this accommodation at all.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank PhilAyres
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We found a good 2-night deal on Booking.com for this place which included secure parking and a wi-fi coupon. The staff was very friendly to us--we stayed for two nights over a rainy weekend and having visited all the sites we wanted to see our first time around Cape Town, we just needed a base to recharge. The suites had a fridge, microwave, electric kettle, dishes, and flatware and were simply decorated--met our needs. Within a block away from Amalfi you will find a Spar, Woolworth's, and Checkers for your grocery needs and several laundromats--We went to Mr. Laundry (50 ZAR up to 5 kilos). There was also a bagel place called 'New York Bagel' nearby and a decent Asian take-out place called 'Shin Thai' right across the street. The coffee shop 'Kos' (free wi-fi) in the lobby of Amalfi had a friendly staff and solid breakfasts and coffee. All in all, not a bad option if you need a convenient place to crash in Cape Town.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Hossegor, France
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I have stayed twice at the Amalfi. It provides good value for the price at 450r for a single room. I also like the kitchenette. The first time I stayed there I got my own gate opener, so I could come and go as I please, but the last time I stayed, they no longer has any available, and I had to ask the front desk person to escort me to my car everytime I wanted to leave. This was fine until I was actually ready to depart, and the staff left me in the car park, trapped! The staff apparently had gone home, and totally forgot about me! Thankfully a neighbor saved me with his own gate fob. Also the shower was totally freezing and I took a miserable shower. When I informed the manager, she said "we will check it out". That's it...and then asked me when I planned to return to their hotel. I told them never. I don't recommend this hotel, it's running on a shoe string budget, and the staff really don't seem to care at all. Also the room was dirty.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
City Bowl
Ikhaya Lodge
Ikhaya Lodge
#77 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to The Amalfi Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!