“Superb, brilliant, wonderful - DO IT!”

Hike Table Mountain
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hike Table Mountain is an owner-operated mountain-guiding business specializing in hikes and climbs on Table Mountain. A passion for nature and mountains coupled with a commitment to service excellence lies at the heartbeat of what we do, ensuring you get the ultimate mountain experience. Run by qualified, attentive, competent, fun and highly-experienced mountain guides. All hikes and climbs are customized to suit your level of fitness and sense of adventure. We are the only guiding company offering hikes up all Table Mountain routes. Whether you are a first-time hiker or seasoned trekker, adrenalin junky or nature lover, we make sure you get the experience you are looking for.
Reviewed 14 November 2017

To begin with, I was slightly apprehensive about the India Venster climb as from the cable car station it looks pretty much vertical, but Mike, our guide, put those fears to rest without making it any less exciting. The first third of the climb is stepping up large steps most of the way, with Mike telling us about the flora and fauna we encountered along the way. The rest of the hike is a mix of trail walking, scrambling, and the odd climb up technical sections of rock (some with metal staples and chains in the rock). Mike was excellent at all times and made everyone feel at ease. The end result was a wonderful hike up a beautiful mountain in a lovely part of the world, and I feel very happy to have done it. If I'm back in SA next year, I'll almost certainly be doing it again.

One great point is that by setting out early, you start off nice and cool. By the time you're at the top at about 0900, the sun is just getting warm. There's an excellent cafe at the top so you can have a nice fat breakfast to fill up, then take the cablecar back down. From there it's a quick Uber back into town.

1  Thank TomJ3046
All reviews
"the india venster route"
in 107 reviews
in 15 reviews
"fitness levels"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 9 November 2017

Best part of our trip! This is a 'must' when you visit Cape Town. Although you can take the cable car to the top, you should definitely hike. It makes the experience so much more worthwhile. You will definitely need a certain level of fitness, however, as there is legitimate rock climbing and uphill trails on the India Venster trail. We actually had a member of our group turn back within the first 15 minutes because she couldn't keep up. Our guide, Darin (spelling?) was so great. He was super friendly and funny and really helpful but let us keep our own pace and lead the way.

The weather is tricky and we were definitely lucky that our day wasn't too hot, windy, rainy and the mountain was visible. Even if the weather looks 'blah' in the morning, you'll probably still be able to hike because the weather changes so much on the mountain. The India Venster trail provided unique views over Camps Bay and other angles that you can't see from the top of the mountain.Bring water and snacks and a warm/breathable jacket because you will be on the mountain for 3-4 hours.

Side note: if you are using the Big Red bus tour, there is a stop at the mountain which is really helpful if you want to jump on right after and continue your sightseeing.

Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

I did the Platteklip Gorge route with Lynette this morning and had an amazing time! From booking to pick up to the hike itself and beyond, everything was so easy and professional. At first, I was a little worried about my ability to do the route. But Lynette was incredibly encouraging and more than happy to go at my and my fellow hiker’s pace. Plus she was so knowledgeable about the history and ecology of the mountain, I learned a ton! I am so, so happy I did the hike and highly recommend Hike Table Mountain (and Lynette in particular)!!!!

1  Thank littlewanderer7
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

For me this was one of the highlights in Cape Town. Myself and my partner are not experienced hikers and so opted for the Summit Stroll - a 2.5 hour hike around the summit of the mountain. For us this was the best option as we got to see all of the iconic views while our amazing guide Lynette gave us detailed information on the surrounding nature and history.