“Shocking Service”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I was quite frankly shocked at the despicable service I received at this establishment. Three of us went there and waited one and a half hours for our food only for my duck to be served cold and the sushi to have been hastily made at the very last minute (we saw this ourselves - they only started to make the sushi at the sushi conveyor belt after we started to complain) to complement the stone-cold duck (the waitress agreed that the duck was ice cold).

When we asked for some consideration given our inconvenience the best the manager could offer was a round of shots and he could not even take the time to come to speak to us. When I went to speak to him, admittedly angry by this point, he did not apologise nor make any attempt to remedy the situation.

Instead he chose to remain behind the sushi counter and allow the other patrons to defend him rather than taking the time to address a legitimately upset customer. Whilst I probably went over the top in my frustration with the situation I nonetheless feel that the service was absolutely shocking. It is not the fact that there was a problem but the fact that there was no meaningful attempt to address the problem.

We ended up going to Pancho's down the road who managed to serve us our food within 20 minutes of us ordering it and whose service was impeccable.

One and half hour's for sushi and some cold duck? I strongly recommend that you avoid this establishment.

1  Thank Graham M

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Great food, good service and reasonable price. A soup, and enough sushi for one person will not be more than 15 USD.

1  Thank Marko K
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We ate delicious sushi off the conveyor belt. It was perfect, no complaints.

The chefs were very friendly and even made us a few extra special titbits.

Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

You will most definetly not find better sushi in Cape Town than at 1890 ( or Charlie's as its locals know it)! Do not be fooled by the simple exterior, it is made up for in the food and the fresh fresh fish. Not to be missed!

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Good, fresh sushi! I like the conveyer belt idea, and this allowed me to try a few new types of dishes that I haven't tried before (like hand rolls and cucumber wrap instead of seaweed). The fish is nice and fresh.

A tad expensive by Cape Town standards, but still a good price for sushi.

Really nice atmosphere too, modern and clean inside.

It became one of my favourites!