“Trip away for overnight with friends”

Aquila Private Game Reserve
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The weather was wonderfully bright and sunny, but chilly. The Lodge is organised and we felt VERY welcome.. we were expected and greeted warmly. We went straight into lunch which was buffet and plentiful followed by a game drive. Our ranger was informative and we saw lots of game including hippo out of the water. We returned for fireside cappuccinos and a brief rest before dinner where we were entertained by a marimba female trio.. very good ! Buffet dinner was fine. Accommodation standard... breakfast BUSY ! followed by horseriding - 6 ladies who can't ride was quite funny ! we experienced a tiff between an elephant and a rhino which was a bit disturbing once we realised why they were fighting.( the male elephant wanted to mount the rhino female.) .. I foresee a problem here... anyway, it was a good experience all round and we enjoyed ourselves. !

Room Tip: I think the cottages are probably cosier for couples.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 July 2013

We have just returned from 10 days in Cape Town. We wanted to go on a safari as we had been to Kenya twice and loved the early drives and the looking out for animals.
We got picked up from our hotel on time and were greeted with a drink and a lovely setting . The first thing I spotted as I walked to the front of the lodge were 2 elephants strolling across the vista . Fantastic . We had a lovely lunch in a great lodge .We then went on a game drive on a Quad bike .and saw a Giraffe , Hippos , 2 buffalos ,Zebras , Springbox , and wildebeast. We had a game drive in the evening and the next morning but only saw the same animals . They only have 1 giraffe and 2 elephants . I hated seeing the lions in large penned areas ; They were fat and don't hunt so are just given carcasses. Our room was lovely but all overpriced for what is just a wander around a small area to see the same animals . 1 game drive would have been enough to see the animals as they seem to be in the same place and the food was very samey . No trees so we were not sure how the animals will survive in that environment . A nice day out as we were only in cape town but we wouldn't go again .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rugby2013_13
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Arriving back home after spending the on safari with the Aquila-team, I can look back on a day that was absolute therapy and pure bliss!

I knew the day was going to be good when the driver turned up exactly on time for the arranged pick up. The drive to the reserve was pleasant and on arrival, on a freezing cold morning, we were welcomed with a nice sherry and a warm towel to break some of the cold.

After a delicious breakfast we got onto the vehicle for the game drive. While settling into our seats trying to shiver off the bite in the air, along came a gentleman, handing out a blanket and hot water bottle for each guest! We all agree that this was undoubtably the cherry on this amazing day!

The game drive was so much fun as our guide, Daniel, is clearly quite well informed and likes what he does. He shared some very interesting facts in a very quirky way. Ten out of ten to you Daniel, keep it up!

After the game drive and a visit to Animal Rescue Centre, we were treated to a very tasty, warm lunch and a quick tour of the facilities, before our driver, Chris, drove us back to Cape Town leaving us with a warm and relaxed feeling.

I will surely visit Aquila again gladly. A big thumbs up to the management and team of this gem in our tourism industry. And trust me that blanket and hot water bottle will not be forgotten!

Well done guys!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2013

What a wonderful adventure we had! The breakfast and lunch were splendid, served on a large wooden table, with an exotic decoration, so many different plates and desserts I lost the count, it was a feast for the eye and palate!
The pool and little villas where comfortable with standard rooms, the main attraction was the view and the Safari, we had such a great time watching all those free animals in their native environment. The tour guide was excellent and the experience worth the trip that included champagne. Cheers for the big five!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that face the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2013

It is a very good setting but totally over priced. The standard rooms are standard nothing more but you pay for 5 star. For what I paid I thought the staff would go the extra mile but at the end it was just average.

The buffet is the same every day. You get the feeling that they just wants to make money with as little effort as possible.

The game drive was good and herw they tried to make it comfortable for you with hot water bottles and blankets but being to other reserves in SA this was again a tourist trap to see the Big 5.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I choose to do a 1 day visit to Aquila because I was short on time. I am glad I did. It was great. I am unclear as to why other reviewers referred to it as a big zoo. Yes it's contained, but it's quite large and the animals roam freely. The lions are kept away from the other animals and across the road they have a enclosure for sick animals.
I would recommend it if you are short on time and would like to do safari. The guide was great. When I return to South Africa, I would probably do a longer trip though. It was quite fascinating and word really can't describe it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank windycityf
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This was, by far, the best adventure we had in Cape Town. We took a 1 day safari here and were able to see and interact with all of the Big 5 and more. Our bit of excitement was having our truck rammed by a Water Buffalo. Our guide Daniel was informative and fun. The stop in the middle for a glass of champagne was a great added touch. I would highly recommend this tour for everyone. We did not stay here. We stayed at the Waterfront.

Room Tip: The buffet could have been better quality. It would have been nice not to have to fight the birds fo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple