“Great gem of a museum - informative and interesting”

Cape Town Diamond Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: The Cape Town Diamond Museum pays tribute to the world's most precious gem, the diamond. Discover a 3 billion year old story unfold from a diamond's formation to the final polished stone. The Cape Town Diamond Museum also pays homage to the most famous South African diamonds and showcases specimens of Kimberlite rock dating billions of years old. Situated in the bustling heart of the Clock Tower precinct at the V&A Waterfront, the Cape Town Diamond Museum is a must-see for any visitor to Cape Town. Book in advance recommended.
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I think I have learnt so much from this short but really informative visit - Ms Styger is such an excellent guide: her enthusiasm is infectious! Its only 5 minutes walk away from the main V&A shops, and it opens every day till 9pm, so its a great option to get away from the malls for a bit!

CTDiamondMuseum, Manager at Cape Town Diamond Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Zicko123

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Cape Town Diamond Museum on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate the positive feedback and we are very happy to hear that you found the tour informative.

We will be sure to pass your lovely compliment on to Ms Styger.

Kind regards
The Shimansky Team

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I definitely know more about diamonds now than I did before I went there.
Recomended.
You can go for free by simply downloading an entry voucher from their website!

CTDiamondMuseum, Manager at Cape Town Diamond Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Rose, thank you for visiting the Cape Town Diamond Museum. We are pleased you found the tour to be informative and enjoyed sharing our knowledge on the fascinating world of diamonds with you. We hope to welcome you back to the Museum soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

go to V&A Water front, head towards the clock tower, cross the little bridge, go inside the shopping center, aim to the first floor, "Shimansky" is the place. a lady tour guide will take you for a half an hour free tour inside the museum. highly informative, It goes without saying that my wife loved it so much, but -to my surprise- I loved it too !!. being surrounded by all this amount of Diamond is so fantastic.... enjoy.

Dear Rafa e, thank you for your review. We're so happy to hear you and your wife loved the tour of the Cape Town Diamond Museum. We hope to welcome you back to the Museum on your next visit to Cape Town.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by this little gem (excuse the pun), which was right under our noses. As Capetonian University students, my sister, a friend and I decided to check out the museum to gather background information for an economics assignment about the Diamond market in South Africa. Our guide was knowledgeable and friendly, and the tour was informative, concise and there was plenty of time for questions and pictures, I would definitely recommend this Museum.

CTDiamondMuseum, Manager at Cape Town Diamond Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Ray-Moh94, thank you for visiting the Cape Town Diamond Museum and sharing your experience. We're pleased you enjoyed the tour and trust you acquired enough information about the diamond market in South Africa and how it was formed.

We certainly hope to welcome you back to the museum in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is kind of a different museum than the ones you are probably used to... It is really run by a diamond company - Shimansky. And there is no option but to take their guided tour. In my case, I was the only person so it was like a personal tour. Their website has a voucher and you can get free entrance to the museum with that. I showed the voucher on my phone, didn't even print it... It works.

The tour takes less than an hour. For a person like me who doesn't know anything about diamonds, you will learn so much at the end of the tour. Though it kind of feels awkward to be "guided" for the tour by someone working there (not a professional tour guide), you get used to it. She explains what a diamond is, what are the qualities they look for in a diamond, history of diamond etc. At the end of the tour, you can see the workshop (only open during the week) and their showroom. Overall I had a great experience and it was very different than what I expected

1  Thank eerdem

Dear Eerdem, thank you for sharing your experience at the Cape Town Diamond Museum. We're pleased you learned a lot from the tour and are only happy we were able to share our knowledge on diamonds with you.