“Trendy Sports bar serving good German food”
Review of Cafe Extrablatt

Cafe Extrablatt
Ranked #195 of 1,163 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
“Trendy Sports bar serving good German food”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I really liked this place. Large open bar/restaurant downstairs and a more formal sit down restaurant/shisha lounge upstairs.

Good varied menu serving hearty german cuisine and serving great local craft beers from CBC. A short walk from the Green Point football stadium and showing football on the TV I have no doubt on match days this place is rammed but when we visited it had a real laid back bar feel to it.

Great place to meet friends for a drink and a bite to eat.

• Visited March 2014

Cardiff
“Maybe we were unlucky.”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Glancing through some of the recent 5***** reviews received by this restaurant, I wonder if there are two with the same name. Our experience was, sadly, nothing like what the other reviewers had.
We were show to our table, and asked if we would like to order drinks. I said that we would like to see the menu, and order our food, before we ordered drinks. After several minutes, we managed to attract the attention of our waitress. She again asked if we wanted anything to drink, and I again repeated my request for menus.
There was no excuse for delay. There were only two other tables in the restaurant, that had diners at them. They were obviously regulars, and there was a procession of drinks taken to them. We really should have left the place there and then. Unfortunately we didn`t.
Finally, we gave our orders for food and drink. As it was now after 21.00 we had decided that the quickest meal would be schnitzel. Also, as the restaurant seemed to be modelled in an Austrian/ Germanic way, we expected them to be delicious. Wrong on both scores. The food took forever, and was barely edible. My veal was burn on the underside, and bone dry. My wife`s chicken was barely cooked, and the crust was coming away. The chips were flaccid, and some of them were raw in places.
I asked to speak to the manager. I was told that he was "upstairs" and not available. There was no one else able to resolve my complaints. I told the waitress to tell the manager that he had a very dissatisfied customer, and that I would be coming back the next day to complain personally, and also to be given a refund. Needless to say, the next day I was told by the front of house that there was no record of my complaint, and that I could not be helped!!

• Visited February 2014
Cape Town
“Excellent Restaurant if you plan an intimate party”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I was looking for a venue for my wife’s 40th party. Somebody recommended this restaurant to me. After going through to the venue and inspecting it I was quite excited. Café Extrablatt has a wonderful upstairs area that is private (separated from the main area downstairs with its own bar and restrooms) but does not lag any amities you would expect from a restaurant. It has a balcony (which features drop down blinds that we did not need because of the good weather) as well that allows for guest to sit outside and enjoy their meal or food. The seating is bistro style and not the standard venue tables that you might expect from a venue but that adds to the charm of it. We had a DJ, a karaoke machine that was connected to the 2TV’s that is provided by the venue, a dance floor, a photo booth and a buffet that all was set up perfectly to not interfere with each other.24 adults and 10 kids running around the area constantly and nobody felt that it was cramped. We opted for the buffet because it was easier for the amount of people that attended the party. The restaurant is not halaal certified but I discussed the food with the owner and he was very accommodating by preparing only items that did not get in contact with any pork during the preparation of them. The food was absolutely fabulous. Everybody that attended the party commented on it. We had roasted leg of lamb and line fish (which was yellow tail) as mains. The lamb was absolutely succulent and not dry (which is a common problem when having this on a buffet). The fish tasted like it was just caught one hour before being served and was absolutely fresh. The sauce it was prepared in was heavenly!! The food was served with savoury rice, mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables which accompanied the mains perfectly. I can truly recommend this venue and restaurant to anybody that wants an intimate party in a wonderful location with warm and helpful staff and an owner that is very interested in making your party a success.

• Visited March 2014
“Great place to relax”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great ambience and super service me a Thai is somewhere we come back to! Food varied especially for a vegetarian, having 4 choices was a new experience Herne Capetown. It's very relaxed and the waiting staff are great

Visited March 2014
Boksburg, South Africa
“Excellent”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We were a family of 8 adults, came across this restaurant while walking Main Road looking for an uncrowded place to eat. We had a great waiter who served us immediately and didn't have to wait long for our meal. Food was awesome, tasty and hot. Pasta Bolognaise, Chicken Schnitzel, Chicken Strips, Burgers, all divine. For 8 people : meals and drinks (including Cocktails) and including a tip fo great service R785,00.

• Visited December 2013