“OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #332 of 1,135 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$10 - US$70
Cuisines: Steakhouse, International, Grill
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: We offer a range of succulent signature steaks, delectable meat dishes and shellfish. Our grill prepares our meat at a temperature of 1800° Fahrenheit. The result is moist, tender, melt-in-your-mouth steak, accompanied by a wide variety of mouth-watering sauces from around the world.With a stylish and contemporary feel, Bistro 1800 boasts a culinary offering, rich with international flavours and attracts local businessmen and professionals and other discerning restaurant goers in search of a refined, consistent and high quality offering.Whilst the Head Chef selects only the freshest seafood, meat is the star of the show at Bistro 1800 . Owner, Paschal Phelan, brings with him many years of experience in the meat industry in Ireland and, under his direction, his team ensures the best quality by inspecting suppliers' farms to maintain the highest standard of their meat offering.
Great Missenden, United Kingdom
“OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

As the Famous Butchers Grill has gone off the boil it was suggested that we try Bistro 1800 for a great steak. I was hoping for something better - I had rib eye and my wife the fillet both of which were OK. There were not many diners even with a big convention in town.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Excellent steak at a fair price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We had dinner at this restaurant in February 2014. We went after having read good reviews on their food. Our experience was that they were good, but not great. The service was a bit on the slow side and the place looked somewhat run down. The bathrooms were dirty and looked like it needed some maintenance. We ordered a bottle of red wine and a glass of white wine. The white wine was not cold and we had to ask for ice, which took ages to come. However, the steaks we had were excellent and well cooked and we really enjoyed the food. Unfortunately the overall experience was let down by slow service and an impression of poor upkeep.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Meeeeeeat.. and wine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I am a HUGE steak fan and this is one of the best places in Cape Town for the meativores - along with Nelson's Eye. They have a special oven there what basically broils your steak in a few seconds at 1800 degrees - outside is perfectly seared, juices remain trapped in the meat and the flesh remains oh so tender! Yum.
I also discovered an incredible Bordeaux Blend at the Restaurant - recommended by the staff - Marianne Desirade 2004. One of the only properly aged wines I have had in SA. I actually had to enquire about the Estate and went to do a wine tasting and ended up staying there for my trip to the Winelands! Well done Bistro 1800 for food and service.

Sheffield
“Good steak if they have it...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We had our dinner here one night during our stay at the Cape Royal. The service was ok but for a restaurant associated with a 5 star hotel quite disappointing.
We were sat down and were given a menu copied onto an A4 sheet of paper. The wine list was copied on the back of the menu unreadable due to bad copying. When we asked for another menu we were given the original ones. My husband decided to order a rump steak and i decided to go for the Springbock steak. We also decided to order a Pinotage wine. Once we had given the waiter our food order he informed us that they were out of both of our food choices and the wine. My husband then decide to order a sirloin steak only to be informed that they were out of this as well at which point we asked the waiter what was actually had available from the menu. He apologised and informed us that due to Valentine's day they were busier than expected and have run out until the monday of the "popular" cut of meats.
Overall very disappointing evening.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Best Steaks in Cape Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Having a Grand dining card is honestly one of the best choices I could have made, mainly because Bistro 1800 is a partner so I the get 2 for 1 deal! If it weren't for that, I'd definitely have an issue with the price point.

The Atmosphere is quite relaxed and the staff friendly, although the service a bit slow at times.

Nevertheless, the food is spectacular. The Double Baked Cheese Souffle could be more consistent but the Chateaubriand is honestly the most amazing piece of meat I've ever had - more tender and juicy than the fillet!

My only criticism is that the sauces are rather small so when having a 300g piece of meat, one usually runs out of sauce. As for another review complaining about the chef singing, I quite like the laid back atmosphere and enjoy the entertainment. Obviously this might not be for everyone but when he's performed on many occasions I've been there, the music didn't seem to loud.

Overall, Highly Recommended!