“Recommended to all”

The Backpackers in Green Point
Reviewed 8 January 2014

An excellent backpackers! Friendly & helpful staff, clean rooms, good atmosphere and very reasonable rates. Walking distance to shops,restaurants with a tuk-tuk awaiting should you need to travel further. Really enjoyed everything during my week stay.Would definitely recommend the BIG to both international & national alike.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed in a private room at B.I.G just a few days ago. I want to start this review by saying this place is GREAT and has every little extra you could ask for in a backpackers- staff super friendly and willing to help, great free breakfast, free wifi that is fast and covers all areas, towels provided, clean rooms. The only thing I would say about this backpackers is its extremely expensive- we paid R800 ($80) for a double room for one night, which is pretty much double the price of any other backpackers we went to. We stayed for 4 night following this at Observatory Backpackers, which is slightly further out the city but is a brilliant place for only R400 ($40) for a double room per night. It's 90% as good (rooms just as nice, free wifi, but no breakfast) yet half the price. If you're just on holiday for a week or so, need tips for all you activities from staff, and have the cash, stay at B.I.G, but if your travelling for a long time an being a bit more careful with cash, or if you have a car so it's okay to be slightly further out of the centre, then I would recommend observatory backpackers.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 6 January 2014

You cannot really call it a backpackers even though you pay backpacker rates.
The beds are cozy and clean and the dorms bathroom was cleaned everyday.
The staff was extremely kind and helpful at all time.
Breakfast was included in the rate and very satisfying.
The location is awesome as well, just 10 walking minutes to the waterfront.
Definitely #1 hostel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed in a double room with ensuite bathroom and it was just perfect. We would always come back and we strongly recommend it!

Pros:
- Small, intimate and cosy
- Stylish decor with lovely details
- Very helpful and attentive staff, almost family atmosphere
- Great continental breakfast included
- Very clean
- Great value for money (!!!)
- Great dog community ;-)

Cons:
- Location (Greenpoint) is a bit far from the hotspots, but as you have to take a cab anyhow, it really doesn't matter

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed at the B.I.G. for a week with my 2 teenage daughters. We stayed in the 4p room with our own bathroom and shared roof terrace. Room is big, everything spic & span clean, they even make the beds and put fresh towels every day; for me that's far more than I expected from a backpackers.
Owner/hosts are so welcoming and give you a warm feel, happy to arrange your travel needs. The braai on Thursday evening is great and gives the opportunity to meet different people!
Location is great, just off the main road opposite the football stadion. Supermarkets around the corner if you decide to cook your own food in the huge kitchen at the B.I.G.
I would certainly recommend the B.I.G. to everyone; it's a 5 star backpackers!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We travelled for 99 days through Eastern Europe, Turkey and South Africa - this was the best hostel experience by far - head and shoulders above all our other experiences... don't miss it. Great location, great staff, great breakfasts, super clean, super friendly, just super...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2013

What a place!! Honestly, the most amazing hostel; you wouldn't even call it a hostel. it's a home away from home and you truly become a part of the family. My friends and I stayed there for 10 nights... there were 5 of us and we were nicknamed the BIG 5. Amy, Lynda, Jess and Ivor are amazing, always welcoming us home, helping us with anything we needed throughout our stay and inviting us to sit and chat and have dinner and a wine with them. They are truly passionate about Cape Town and this shows in all the advice and local knowledge. The rooms are always in pristine condition and the free breakfast is a fantastic addition. The facilities are world class and after travelling the world i can safely say that this is one of the best i have ever stayed in. We love Dave's MOOSH bed.. especially after a big night out on the town! We stayed back in October and we still talk about the fantastic time we had there. We miss you guys! i would recommend this hostel to everyone and anyone who would listen . You won't be disappointed. We will be back one day soon.

Room Tip: If you are in a group of 5 - get the girls dorm to yourself! Bliss!