“4 days stay of bliss”

The Backpackers in Green Point
ahmadnagar, Maharashtra, India
“4 days stay of bliss”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

we, a family of 4, stayed for 4 nights at the B.I.G. the location is a walkable distance from V&A Waterfront. the services are excellent and so was the booking procedures. the best part are the people. they go all the way to help you in being comfortable in your stay as well as your tour bookings.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Thai first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I came to Cape Town just to do a shark dive. When I arrived I was informed that the dive I had booked had been cancelled. Everyone made such a huge effort to try and find me another tour and thankfully I managed to get a last minute place. I couldn't have done it without their help.
The location is great, about a 10 minute walk to V&A. Airport shuttle was good value at 180 Rand, you just need to contact the hostel and they will arrange it for you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank sabwills
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The experience of staying at BIG had been awesome..however last time when I checked in, they could accomodate me only for a day as they didn't hv enough rooms vacant..
They put me onto some other backpacker, which was not as per my taste.. I found an alternate accommodation and move in there..but nothing could undoubtedly beat the energy and vibrancy of the big. It was byfar a good experience which pushed me again to chk on the availability and thereby get myself stay put again in this hostel. I was to travel the next day, and therefore i booked only for a night. Bearing in mind, the aura of this place, I cancelled my trip to enjoy one more night with them.
BUT ALAS ! To my surprise I was really appalled and flabgasted when the front office rushed me out of my room and said the check out time is 11am.. With all fact and figures they were very well aware that i am extending a stay, but still they jugged me out of the room.. Saying that there is another occupancy in the room, and you have to shuffle ur space..
With a smile.. I agreed thinking the shuffling would be seamless and effortless... But what did I know of the plotting or illicit framework I was been victimized to..
I was not given a room for nearly two hours and when approached.. They told me they need to make the room. Having just two attendies to the housekeeping, they weren't asked to make up my room and it's only when I approached for my room, they came up with it.. "Oh you know we are trying to accomodate you and so u need to bear with us, till the time they make up the room". It was clear they wanted to me chk in as per the scheduled time frame of 2pm or 3pm, and this is why this malicious game was played on..
I felt ridiculed and very nomadic by their approach.. They don't empathize with their guest and are really commercially driven.. Service and hospitality is definite an ace within but it's betting the border of how commercial they are.. All this game was just played so that I could stay put with them for just limited hours.. They didn't even notice the time I checked in.. Which was nearly half day passed..
All in all the place is good., the people are really good but they missed the quality of humane and decency., they left no stone unturned in making a mock out of me and ridiculing me.
All there, great place to stay but don't expect anything much.. There is a lot behind those beautiful faces and smiles.
My assertive and candid thoughts.. Pertaining to my observation.. Wish u guys the best.. Do well..
AMY.. Definitely a great place you have created.. N what I kept on telling ppl, but doubt I would still continue... This place is like an OASIS IN A DESERT.. This is still my though when it comes to ONLY the AESTHETICS of ur backpacker...
I still doubt, may be the first time I checked in... N was not given an extension saying that rooms not available.. After this episode I doubt if the rooms were really not available.. Or may be this was a way to drive me off.. Anywaiz all the best..!

• Stayed June 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I spent 4 nights at The BIG after a 2 week trip in SA that finished in Cape Town and wish I could have stayed another 2 weeks just here. This is a great hostel, with wonderful, warm staff, who make this place really special. Every single person is super friendly, chatty and helpful, never short of time for anyone and more than willing to impart their vast knowledge, so you can plan and have a great time. Thank you, all! The hostel evokes a really fun, upbeat spirit, but there's an incredibly relaxing feeling to The BIG too. The rooms are clean and comfortable, with towels provided and an incredible breakfast included. The space throughout the hostel is great, with a TV room, a 'library' room, a huge kitchen and a large communal table for eating, chatting, day-planning etc. I feel like I barely scratched the surface with all that Cape Town has to offer and so I will be back. When I do return, I plan to stay at The BIG.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is basically a hostel for people of all ages. The atmosphere is down to earth and very relaxed, although there are rules that are designed to keep the place peaceful. The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful. Ivor was awesome. He lent one of our party his coat one day and then a scarf the next. I'm sure he'd have given the shirt off his back had he seen a need. We met some very interesting travelers at breakfast. We all loved it and would not think of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: There are various types of rooms. my wife and I got a private room and our 19 year old son was in a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed at the BIG with my 8 year old son in February and I cannot recommend the place highly enough. The place was spotless, the staff were helpful and friendly and the location is brilliant if you want to stay away from the City Bowl but close the centre. What made it so good was that the hostel has a social, friendly atmosphere, encouraging individuals to get together for a night out while at the same time avoiding being a 'party hostel' making it ideal for families and those who like a beer AND their bed! The advice given by the staff re days out, restaurants etc was always nicely tailored to our requirements. Hopefully we will be back again soon some time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I spent five nights at the BIG and I simply cannot say enough good things about the hostel and its wonderful staff. The location is great, an easy walk to the vibrant and bustling V&A Waterfront, and the facility is extremely well maintained and perfectly clean. The rooms were comfortable, well equipped and beautifully decorated. Considering the low cost of a night’s stay I didn’t have high expectations of the free breakfast, but I was pleasantly surprised to find a lovely selection of fruit and cereals each morning… and coffee, lots of coffee!

It’s obvious that the staff genuinely care that their travelers have a great experience and they were keen to share their knowledge of the area. Whatever I needed they were quick to offer me advice, from maps and must see spots to help with finding a vehicle rental, no question went unanswered. When I returned to the BIG each evening after a day of exploring and excursions I was consistently greeted with a genuine interest in what I had been up to. When I got back one afternoon quite sunburned, two staff members immediately expressed concern about whether I had brought an after sun product with me. I hadn’t, but stubbornly insisted I was fine and could tough it out with regular lotion. Despite that, within minutes one of the girls was knocking on my dorm room door bearing gifts of aloe cream. As a solo traveler it was really comforting to know that I was surrounded by people who were caring, engaged and interested in the well-being of their guests.

If my travels ever take me back to Cape Town I will absolutely be booking here again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo