“Home”

The Backpackers in Green Point
Reviewed 23 June 2014

A Gem in overpriced Cape town, Knowledgeable, friendly and energetic staff and a great location ,with most comfortable rooms , offering a host of add on's like day trips to wine farms and around the peninsula! This Backpackers is so much more than a hostel rather more like home away from home

Room Tip: Ivor's Braai is a must!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 June 2014

If you have the opportunity the stay at BIG backpackers then consider yourself lucky. The facilities are wonderful. The entire place operates like a home. It's comfortable and warm. They have a library room for quiet time, a TV room and a great big open kitchen that provides a great space to meet other travelers. But if you stay here for any reason, stay here for the staff. I have never witness individuals work so hard to make sure that you are taken care. Yes, they book tours, take your laundry and check you in. But they go above and beyond to make sure that you looked after. If that means giving you advice on how to plan the rest of the trip or restaurants that they like going to. These people truly care. You get so much more than a bed at BIG you get true South African hospitality and these guys do it best.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2014

love your place!! love the rooms! love the people!!

really enjoyed my time here thank you for the extra special attention you pay to the little details!
the rooms are beautiful and the staff are all so friendly!
i look forward to returning!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2014

we, a family of 4, stayed for 4 nights at the B.I.G. the location is a walkable distance from V&A Waterfront. the services are excellent and so was the booking procedures. the best part are the people. they go all the way to help you in being comfortable in your stay as well as your tour bookings.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I came to Cape Town just to do a shark dive. When I arrived I was informed that the dive I had booked had been cancelled. Everyone made such a huge effort to try and find me another tour and thankfully I managed to get a last minute place. I couldn't have done it without their help.
The location is great, about a 10 minute walk to V&A. Airport shuttle was good value at 180 Rand, you just need to contact the hostel and they will arrange it for you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank sabwills
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The experience of staying at BIG had been awesome..however last time when I checked in, they could accomodate me only for a day as they didn't hv enough rooms vacant..
They put me onto some other backpacker, which was not as per my taste.. I found an alternate accommodation and move in there..but nothing could undoubtedly beat the energy and vibrancy of the big. It was byfar a good experience which pushed me again to chk on the availability and thereby get myself stay put again in this hostel. I was to travel the next day, and therefore i booked only for a night. Bearing in mind, the aura of this place, I cancelled my trip to enjoy one more night with them.
BUT ALAS ! To my surprise I was really appalled and flabgasted when the front office rushed me out of my room and said the check out time is 11am.. With all fact and figures they were very well aware that i am extending a stay, but still they jugged me out of the room.. Saying that there is another occupancy in the room, and you have to shuffle ur space..
With a smile.. I agreed thinking the shuffling would be seamless and effortless... But what did I know of the plotting or illicit framework I was been victimized to..
I was not given a room for nearly two hours and when approached.. They told me they need to make the room. Having just two attendies to the housekeeping, they weren't asked to make up my room and it's only when I approached for my room, they came up with it.. "Oh you know we are trying to accomodate you and so u need to bear with us, till the time they make up the room". It was clear they wanted to me chk in as per the scheduled time frame of 2pm or 3pm, and this is why this malicious game was played on..
I felt ridiculed and very nomadic by their approach.. They don't empathize with their guest and are really commercially driven.. Service and hospitality is definite an ace within but it's betting the border of how commercial they are.. All this game was just played so that I could stay put with them for just limited hours.. They didn't even notice the time I checked in.. Which was nearly half day passed..
All in all the place is good., the people are really good but they missed the quality of humane and decency., they left no stone unturned in making a mock out of me and ridiculing me.
All there, great place to stay but don't expect anything much.. There is a lot behind those beautiful faces and smiles.
My assertive and candid thoughts.. Pertaining to my observation.. Wish u guys the best.. Do well..
AMY.. Definitely a great place you have created.. N what I kept on telling ppl, but doubt I would still continue... This place is like an OASIS IN A DESERT.. This is still my though when it comes to ONLY the AESTHETICS of ur backpacker...
I still doubt, may be the first time I checked in... N was not given an extension saying that rooms not available.. After this episode I doubt if the rooms were really not available.. Or may be this was a way to drive me off.. Anywaiz all the best..!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I spent 4 nights at The BIG after a 2 week trip in SA that finished in Cape Town and wish I could have stayed another 2 weeks just here. This is a great hostel, with wonderful, warm staff, who make this place really special. Every single person is super friendly, chatty and helpful, never short of time for anyone and more than willing to impart their vast knowledge, so you can plan and have a great time. Thank you, all! The hostel evokes a really fun, upbeat spirit, but there's an incredibly relaxing feeling to The BIG too. The rooms are clean and comfortable, with towels provided and an incredible breakfast included. The space throughout the hostel is great, with a TV room, a 'library' room, a huge kitchen and a large communal table for eating, chatting, day-planning etc. I feel like I barely scratched the surface with all that Cape Town has to offer and so I will be back. When I do return, I plan to stay at The BIG.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends