“Best Guest House You'll Ever Stay At”

The Backpackers in Green Point
“Best Guest House You'll Ever Stay At”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Anything that I say here will not truly give justice to what a great place The BIG is. It has everything any person/traveller would want:

- Nice rooms which are cleaned daily.
- Great breakfast included
- A living room with the comfiest couches. This includes an elevated chill area with the best pillows around. This also includes thousands of films and series on their hard drive.
- Weekly Bri's (aka BBQ's)
- Great staff who provide great advice and will go the extra mile to book you cool activities and trips to do in and around Cape Town.

These are standard amenities which you might not expect, but would want and get from a great guest house. Amenities which The BIG has in abundance.

Except for these standards which you expect from a good travel accommodation, The BIG has something else which other guest houses do not have. This comes from the general atmosphere that the staff provide. In BIG everyone feels a part of a family. Because of this great atmosphere you inevitably end up meeting lots of new friendly and fun people. This atmosphere is also helped by the honest bar; where you take what you want and write down what you've taken to be put down on your tab. This extra sums up the great vibe which The BIG inspires.

While I was staying at The BIG there was even a doctor staying at the hostel...but after a month at The BIG I had to leave :-)

A special shout out to:
IVOR, SHARMS, JESS aka Cookie, AMELIA, and LYNDA
You guys are wonderful people. You made my trip that more special.

Lots of Love

Dr Dolittle

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Amelia K, Front Office Manager at The Backpackers in Green Point, responded to this review, 3 October 2014
Dr Doolittle

Thanks for the review.
For the record you are family, please come back. Thank you for the laughs, pictures and friendship.
I hope your studies and interning goes well.

take care

Ivor and THE B.I.G. TEAM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Thai first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 23 June 2014

A Gem in overpriced Cape town, Knowledgeable, friendly and energetic staff and a great location ,with most comfortable rooms , offering a host of add on's like day trips to wine farms and around the peninsula! This Backpackers is so much more than a hostel rather more like home away from home

Room Tip: Ivor's Braai is a must!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 June 2014

If you have the opportunity the stay at BIG backpackers then consider yourself lucky. The facilities are wonderful. The entire place operates like a home. It's comfortable and warm. They have a library room for quiet time, a TV room and a great big open kitchen that provides a great space to meet other travelers. But if you stay here for any reason, stay here for the staff. I have never witness individuals work so hard to make sure that you are taken care. Yes, they book tours, take your laundry and check you in. But they go above and beyond to make sure that you looked after. If that means giving you advice on how to plan the rest of the trip or restaurants that they like going to. These people truly care. You get so much more than a bed at BIG you get true South African hospitality and these guys do it best.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 18 June 2014

love your place!! love the rooms! love the people!!

really enjoyed my time here thank you for the extra special attention you pay to the little details!
the rooms are beautiful and the staff are all so friendly!
i look forward to returning!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
ahmadnagar, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 12 June 2014

we, a family of 4, stayed for 4 nights at the B.I.G. the location is a walkable distance from V&A Waterfront. the services are excellent and so was the booking procedures. the best part are the people. they go all the way to help you in being comfortable in your stay as well as your tour bookings.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I came to Cape Town just to do a shark dive. When I arrived I was informed that the dive I had booked had been cancelled. Everyone made such a huge effort to try and find me another tour and thankfully I managed to get a last minute place. I couldn't have done it without their help.
The location is great, about a 10 minute walk to V&A. Airport shuttle was good value at 180 Rand, you just need to contact the hostel and they will arrange it for you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank sabwills
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The experience of staying at BIG had been awesome..however last time when I checked in, they could accomodate me only for a day as they didn't hv enough rooms vacant..
They put me onto some other backpacker, which was not as per my taste.. I found an alternate accommodation and move in there..but nothing could undoubtedly beat the energy and vibrancy of the big. It was byfar a good experience which pushed me again to chk on the availability and thereby get myself stay put again in this hostel. I was to travel the next day, and therefore i booked only for a night. Bearing in mind, the aura of this place, I cancelled my trip to enjoy one more night with them.
BUT ALAS ! To my surprise I was really appalled and flabgasted when the front office rushed me out of my room and said the check out time is 11am.. With all fact and figures they were very well aware that i am extending a stay, but still they jugged me out of the room.. Saying that there is another occupancy in the room, and you have to shuffle ur space..
With a smile.. I agreed thinking the shuffling would be seamless and effortless... But what did I know of the plotting or illicit framework I was been victimized to..
I was not given a room for nearly two hours and when approached.. They told me they need to make the room. Having just two attendies to the housekeeping, they weren't asked to make up my room and it's only when I approached for my room, they came up with it.. "Oh you know we are trying to accomodate you and so u need to bear with us, till the time they make up the room". It was clear they wanted to me chk in as per the scheduled time frame of 2pm or 3pm, and this is why this malicious game was played on..
I felt ridiculed and very nomadic by their approach.. They don't empathize with their guest and are really commercially driven.. Service and hospitality is definite an ace within but it's betting the border of how commercial they are.. All this game was just played so that I could stay put with them for just limited hours.. They didn't even notice the time I checked in.. Which was nearly half day passed..
All in all the place is good., the people are really good but they missed the quality of humane and decency., they left no stone unturned in making a mock out of me and ridiculing me.
All there, great place to stay but don't expect anything much.. There is a lot behind those beautiful faces and smiles.
My assertive and candid thoughts.. Pertaining to my observation.. Wish u guys the best.. Do well..
AMY.. Definitely a great place you have created.. N what I kept on telling ppl, but doubt I would still continue... This place is like an OASIS IN A DESERT.. This is still my though when it comes to ONLY the AESTHETICS of ur backpacker...
I still doubt, may be the first time I checked in... N was not given an extension saying that rooms not available.. After this episode I doubt if the rooms were really not available.. Or may be this was a way to drive me off.. Anywaiz all the best..!

• Stayed June 2014