I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in late November 2007. It was my first time to South Africa, so I cannot compare it to any other Hotel in that country.
The Hotel itself is a decent and clean place. For the nightly price of about 849 Rand (129 USD), it was a good quality hotel. The room was quiet, clean, well serviced. The lobby is small but efficient and staff is helpful and available.
Even before I arrived, I was communicating with them via email and they were very responsive, friendly and informative.
There is a small pool is the back and some room for Sun bathing...though not many guests (myself included) used this.
There is NO GYM here and NO 'Complimentary' Transportation to/from the Airport or anywhere else. Shuttle to the Airport can be booked about 4-6 hours in advance and costs 200 Rand one way.
The front desk can accept Credit Cards, but all cabs and other shops prefer CASH.
The rooms do NOT have an alarm clock, so you either have to use your own clock/watch/cellphone or ask for a wake up call.
The rooms have limited wireless access and it has to be paid w/ credit card. The business center downstairs is quite lame. It is nothing more than a booth with 1 computer and a SLOW connection. You purchase internet time from the front desk and use credit at this computer.
Breakfast: This was one of the better things about this hotel. At the lobby level, there is a large dining area that serves breakfast from 6 to 11 am. They have a Full (HOT) Breakfast and a smaller (Cold) breakfast option. Both are buffet/all u can eat.
Full breakfast consists of Eggs cooked to order...cooked in front of you on a grill-stove plus porridge/oatmeal, bacon, sausage, ham etc...plus the Cold Breakfast below.
Cold breakfast consists of FRESH SQUEEZED OJ or GUAVA juice, fresh cut fruit (melon, papaya, pineapple. orange), cereals, yogurt, breads, croissants, jams, honey etc.
The FULL breakfast runs about 84 Rand per person...came out to about $12.50.
I am a big breakfast guy, so this was well worth it. Plus the food options were very good. I'd rather pay than eat the 'free -day old danish' that is served at other hotels.
The Hotel is reasonably close to Long Street which is the main shopping/bar/eating/restaurant scene. About a 10 -12 minute walk. Walking is only recommended in the day time...at night you can take a cab. Cabs to Long St from the hotel run about 30-50 Rand.
Also nearby...about 5-7 min walk....is a small Shopping Center/Mall that has some basic stores, a Pick N Pay (local equivalent of Vons/Ralphs Grocery Store) and a bank ATM to get more cash.
Cabs are easy to get in Cape Town...both at the Hotel and most major hangouts. The Hotel is also a 40 Rand cab ride to the International Convention Center and about 50 Rand ride to the Wharf area. We were fortunate to know a local who had a car so we were able to explore the outlying areas of town as well.
The hotel was picked by a company that I was consulting for..and it was pretty last minute. I think that, if done with adequate time, it is quite possible to get a really good hotel/deal in an even better location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- There's a square on the block in the Mother City. SunSquare Cape Town Gardens is located in the vibrant and cosmopolitan suburb of The Gardens, on the edge of the Cape Town City Bowl. This trendy hotel offers guests more of what they want, making their hotel experience a memorable one. SunSquare Cape Town Gardens is close to the CBD as well as the Cape Town International Convention Centre, whilst the Cape Town International Airport is only a short 20-minute drive from the hotel. For leisure travellers, the hotel is beautifully positioned at the base of Table Mountain - one of the new 'Seven Wonders of Nature' - and is close to Long Street, which has an array of day and night time activities with its vast selection of chic restaurants and boutique shops. The hotel is also located within close proximity to main attractions in the area, such as the V&A Waterfront and the gorgeous beaches of Camps Bay and Bloubergstrand. About the hotel SunSquare Cape Town Gardens combines affordability and comfort with modern accommodation for individuals who know exactly what they want. The spacious lobby extends into a bar area, providing a relaxing place for guests to socialise and enjoy themselves - chatting, working or listening to music. The lounge area leads off from the lobby and is yet another comfortable space where guests can read the newspaper, conduct business meetings, or just sit back and relax. Guests can also unwind and have a drink by the terrace, which looks over a lovely pool deck and has magnificent views of the city. For those guests who want to stay fit and healthy while staying at the hotel, the well-equipped gym comes in handy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotelopia, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your SunSquare Cape Town Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garden Court De Waal Hotel Cape Town Central
- SunSquare Cape Town Gardens South Africa