We will review this hotel but understand it is closing for refurbishment in April for approx. five months. When we arrived at lunchtime on the 30th December there was one female member of staff at the desk in reception who looked thoroughly miserable and gave us no smile or welcome to the hotel whatsoever - not very nice when you've been travelling for 24 hours. We were given the card to access our room but there was no offer to take our luggage to the room and no other staff to be seen in the reception area. When we got to the room we didn't have the mountain view we had booked and went back to reception to query and the 'miserable face' just told us that our agent hadn't made the request (despite it being on our paperwork) and there were no other rooms available.
Our room and bathroom were okay but "tired" as reviewed by others, however, the beds were comfortable and the shower hot and powerful. The wardrobe appeared new but hanging space insufficient for our two week stay and a chest of drawers would be an advantage as opposed to the shelving that I had to access by standing on a chair.
The buffet breakfast was very good with plenty of choice. We had dinner in the restaurant several times where they provide a buffet or a la carte menu, both of which are limited but to be fair most guests eat out elsewhere. Unfortunately, there were very few staff members in the restaurant that had a smile for anyone and talking to other guests they were of the same opinion.
The pool area was nice with plenty of clean towels and staff came around periodically to take orders for drinks. Andrea was particularly nice (she also worked in the restaurant) but she left in our second week. We must also mention Freddy who booked restaurants and arranged taxi's for us, nothing was too much trouble and his enthusiasm is an asset to the hotel.
We had not booked a car from home assuming that it would be possible when we arrived but there were none available anywhere. Without a car the V and A Waterfront is quite a distance and although we did walk it once, during the day, not really recommended. About 15 mins from the hotel is Kloof Street which has numerous restaurants - give Kloof Street House at no. 30 a try, a lovely venue. There is a small shopping mall 5 mins from the hotel with a PicknPay supermarket where we preferred to buy fresh rolls, etc for our lunch and cheap wine to stock the chiller in our room.
Overall we were satisfied with our stay and it would appear that with an upgrade there will be improvements to the decor, bathrooms, etc. We would suggest that management give staff a "pep talk" regarding their attitude to guests, nobody wants to go on holiday and be confronted with miserable faces and if certain members of staff (particularly reception) find that so difficult then perhaps they shouldn't be doing the job!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- There's a square on the block in the Mother City. SunSquare Cape Town Gardens is located in the vibrant and cosmopolitan suburb of The Gardens, on the edge of the Cape Town City Bowl. This trendy hotel offers guests more of what they want, making their hotel experience a memorable one. SunSquare Cape Town Gardens is close to the CBD as well as the Cape Town International Convention Centre, whilst the Cape Town International Airport is only a short 20-minute drive from the hotel. For leisure travellers, the hotel is beautifully positioned at the base of Table Mountain - one of the new 'Seven Wonders of Nature' - and is close to Long Street, which has an array of day and night time activities with its vast selection of chic restaurants and boutique shops. The hotel is also located within close proximity to main attractions in the area, such as the V&A Waterfront and the gorgeous beaches of Camps Bay and Bloubergstrand. About the hotel SunSquare Cape Town Gardens combines affordability and comfort with modern accommodation for individuals who know exactly what they want. The spacious lobby extends into a bar area, providing a relaxing place for guests to socialise and enjoy themselves - chatting, working or listening to music. The lounge area leads off from the lobby and is yet another comfortable space where guests can read the newspaper, conduct business meetings, or just sit back and relax. Guests can also unwind and have a drink by the terrace, which looks over a lovely pool deck and has magnificent views of the city. For those guests who want to stay fit and healthy while staying at the hotel, the well-equipped gym comes in handy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, HotelsClick and Cancelon so you can book your SunSquare Cape Town Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garden Court De Waal Hotel Cape Town Central
- SunSquare Cape Town Gardens South Africa