“Especially aimed at housing students”

Best Western Cape Suites Hotel
Ranked #81 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for five months as a student. Came across a lot of other students living there for a longer period, this resulted in sometimes loud noise late at night, but other than that it was fine to live in. The apartments really differ, you can have a 2-room apartment with a large living room, or 3-room apartment with smaller space.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony and dressoir, that makes it so much easier. Also choose the rooms with...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
BWCSH, General Manager at Best Western Cape Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Good day,

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We chose this accommodation really because we wanted to keep our rewards points and we wanted to be in the city but in hindsight it wasn`t the best choice. The location is in District 6 which is not the best location, even walking around in the day has an uncomfortable feel! Found the best way to get to the V & A Waterfront was by taxi as the free shuttle seemed to be constantly booked for airport runs. Twice we asked at reception for a light bulb to be replaced on the balcony but it never happened. We had booked a tour with an independent company who sent a fax about a pickup time, it never arrived in our room. When I asked at reception about it they did remember the message but didn't know why it hadn't been delivered to our room! The plus side of this hotel was the breakfast, there was a good selection of food available which was constantly replenished. The restaurants provided quite an extensive menu, and the staff were very pleasant. There was a great pizza bar which also provided a take-away service. The free airport shuttle had to be booked in advance but it was a great service. Another downside was the pools needed attention, I love a swim but there was no way I would venture into either of the pools as they were cloudy and what looked like brown slime on the bottom.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
BWCSH, General Manager at Best Western Cape Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Retire09Uk,

Thank you for completing the Tripadvisor survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Managment & Staff

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Best Western for the first weekend in Feb for my brothers brith day weekend and for the JNB Met. My partner, brother and I shared a 2-bedroom apt on the first floor.
Decor: a bit standard and not extremely modern. Nothing fancy but nothing negative about it either
Room: the rooms we nicely sized. One room had 2 single beds and the other had a dbl. There 2 bathrooms, one en-suite and the other at the entrance (this was the main reason we chose this option, 2 bathrooms really do assist with getting out of a room in time). There was a general living area and small kitchen as well as a small balcony (which never used). Overall enjoyed the spacious room and beds were comfy (I never like hotel pillows, so will reserve my comment here).
Cleanliness: room was cleaned once a day and was too standard
Price: after much research into options this was probably the most reasonably priced hotel in 'central CPT'
Location: I felt the location quite convenient, as it's just outside the CBD. Those who know CPT know that the city is small and easy to get around. We were never more than ten min from anything major (waterfront, CBD, cableway, Newlands, greenpoint).
Overall: checkin was simple and efficient. Breakfast was basic and adequate - both hot and cold available with cereals, fruit, scrambled eggs as well as an omelette station. I enjoyed my stay here and this was part of a really good CPT weekend. For us being on the second floor was acceptable as we had just a bag each, I would imagine if you're traveling with lots of bags then request a ground floor room as there are no lifts. There was free parking if you had a car.
Enjoy your trip.
If you're looking for comfortable but not fancy I would def recommend this hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yogeshn

Thank you for completing the Tripadvisor survey regarding your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN Cape Suites Hotel.
By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed here for a week recently and found the hotel to have everything you would want. Contrary to some other reviews, I experienced consistently good service from all the staff I encountered.
The hotel felt a little bit out of the centre of town, although as I relied on taxis a lot, I didn't quite get my bearings. The hotel offers a free shuttle service to town, the waterfront, to the cable car, and to the airport, if booked in advance. I made use of this and found it an excellent service.
Breakfast was great, good choice and good quality. I didn't make use of the pub or evening meals but the menus appeared to include a good range of meals including vegetarian options. The kitchenette area was well stocked with equipment and utensils if you wanted to prepare your own food.
I found my room clean and well serviced every day. The suite door felt a little bit flimsy, but I didn't experience any problems with it, and perhaps the famous Cape Town wind was more responsible for that! I had no security concerns, as there seems to be a security guard at the entrance at all times.
For more money you can find hotels closer to the touristy Waterfront, or with more up-to-date decor, but for the location, the price and the star rating, I found this hotel spot-on.

Room Tip: Rooms directly opposite reception can be a bit noisy in the evening with cars and guests coming and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
BWCSH, General Manager at Best Western Cape Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

You get what you pay for. Although there were a few issues-non working air conditioning, shower head had an odd angle, etc. Pverall it was in the location that was good for us, and served the purposed of spending the night as we were out most of the day.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
BWCSH, General Manager at Best Western Cape Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed for a long time at the Best Western Cape Suites Hotel. First I was really satisfied, but after two weeks my opinion changed. The worst point for me was the staff, because they do not listen to you when you have recommandations, complaints or suggestions as you can see here at Tripadvisor too. (The negative reviews are ignored)
The cleanliness got worse. The bathroom was not cleaned well and the floor was dirty too.
The guest laundry was a colossal cheek. I went to the reception in the morning and they told me that the laundry is available NOW. At the end I had to wait till 4 pm., because there were other guests who asked the staff earlier than me. Unfortunatly, it was everytime the same, although I indicated to this situaion.So why is there no list, where name/room number and time are mentioned?
Last but not least, I would not recommend this hotel, because of the rude staff members at reception (female ones) and the points above.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
BWCSH, General Manager at Best Western Cape Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

On behalf of our entire team, we would like to take this opportunity to apologize for not exceeding your expectations.

At the BEST WESTERN Cape Suites Hotel we strive every day to provide a superior customer experience that's why we value our guest feedback so much. We will use the feedback you have given to us to implement improvements and to address all issues raised, as a matter of urgency, to ensure we provide a better experience and customer service in the future.

Please also be assured that this is not the level of service we pride ourselves upon.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We are staying for 4 months in this Best Western Hotel. Therefore we have got a good insight into the internal procedures, which are not always the best and need to be improved.

Cleanliness: The cleaning ladies do only the bare necessities. That is the reason why the rooms are not as clean as they should be. Little animals like ants are unfortunately staying guests in your room.

Guest laundry: A total chaos! There is no proper procedure behind the available machines, although there is a simple solution for this problem (introducing a simple table with room number and time) - they are not changing anything. If there are some questions, complaints or recommendations nobody feels accountable for this issue.

Reception: The female staff members are very unfriendly and rude to (especially) female guests, in contrary to the male receptionists who do their job properly.

Hotel: The location and hotel facilities (pool, ...) are great but due to the negative points it is hard to enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Europe_female
BWCSH, General Manager at Best Western Cape Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance during your stay at the BEST WESTERN Cape Suites Hotel, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at + 27 (0)21 461-0727.

Matt Antonelli