Best Western Cape Suites Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Kimberley Hotel(Cape Town Central)
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Parliament Hotel(Cape Town Central)
  • Breakfast included
Townhouse Hotel(Cape Town Central)
  • Breakfast included
Cape Diamond Hotel(Cape Town Central)
  • Restaurant
Ikhaya Lodge(Cape Town Central)
View Hotel
Adderley Hotel(Cape Town Central)
  • Pool
Taj Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
  • Bar/Lounge
The Three Boutique Hotel(Cape Town Central)
View Hotel
Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel(Cape Town Central)
  • Pool
All reviewstable mountainshuttle servicecomplimentary shuttleenjoyed my stayself cateringpleasant stayshuttle bushire carspacious roomhome away from homesouth africawaterfrontcbdctcape
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 June 2007

DON'T STAY HERE - absolutely horrendous. Supposed to be 4 stars. I wouldn't give it 2. Found a dead rat in my room along with lots of creepy crawlies. Room was cold. No hot water. Internet was NINE times more expensive than local internet cafes. Staff were quite surly. breakfast was non existent. Won't be back here.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank vanti
BWCapeSuitesHotel, Management at Best Western Cape Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2007

The facts are as follows:

1. Management first received the portion of this complaint dealing with Internet cost via Best Western International. Our subsequent request for documentary proof elicited no response from the complainant. After a thorough internal investigation, we could find no evidence that the overcharge occurred. Best Western have closed their file on the matter.

2. Then followed this present TripAdvisor complaint.

- Management received no report of the alleged vermin from the complainant during his stay. Suffice it to say that our procedures and standards make an occurrence of this sort highly unlikely.

- Management received no report of a lack of hot water or of an air-conditioning failure from the complainant during his stay. We have subsequently investigated the matter and found the relevant technical systems to be functioning normally.

- Our experience indicates daily that our guests quite enjoy our buffet breakfasts, which are served every morning in the Wild Bar, before venturing forth to experience the magic of Cape Town and surroundings.

Reviewed 1 May 2007

My Brother in Law swapped his Time share for one week to stay here and we were not disappointed.
The apartment was clean, with all the amenities and was serviced daily with fresh fruit and a great view over Table Mountain ( Room 39 ).
Two pools which we did not use as it was a bit cold but the restaurants are very reasonable if you do not fancy travelling out as we did not after being out and about all day.
Friendly staff and a very good reception that runs a free shuttle service to the V & A a few times a day but book in the morning as it does fill up fast.
You are five minutes from the Wtaerfront and a taxi costs about 40 rand so not bad at all.

I would highly recommend staying here but do get a room on the second floor if stiars are not a problem to you as they are much more private and quieter.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank stora
Reviewed 17 January 2007

I left it very late to book accommodation for a last-minute trip to SA at the end of December 2006 – so late that pretty much the only accommodation available to us for 6 nights was the Best Western Cape Suites. The reason why it wasn’t full up too became very evident during our stay.

First off, the hotel advertises a free airport shuttle service, which I booked for our arrival at Cape Town Airport. However, when we arrived there was no one there to meet us and we had no choice but to take a taxi to the hotel. When we checked in at the Cape Suites the receptionist immediately knew who we were but there was no apology whatsoever for them not being there to meet us at the airport, just a “Call Clifford” shouted resignedly to the person over her left shoulder – Clifford presumably being the driver who had just left to pick us up. One wonders just how long were we expected to wait at a new and strange airport for our transfer. I had let them know which flight we were on - what more could I have done?

We were told our room was not ready for us. This was 11 am and we had just got off an 11½-hour night flight from London and had then been forced to travel to them by taxi. The staff were aware of this but we were told that the room would still not be available until 2.30 o’clock. Given that check-out is at 11 am one wonders, even if someone was in the room before us (which I doubt as they certainly were not full), what they were doing in there that took 3½ hours to complete.

We were offered an office to sit in which had a shower room to “freshen up”. My husband, who had had a small toilet accident on the way there, was able to take a shower but what they hadn’t told us that there was no hot water and the shower was freezing cold. It was the quickest shower he'd ever taken. I was so tired that I lay down on the office floor and went to sleep. I presented no small surprise to the few people coming in and out of the office. We were both completely knackered and just wanted our bed and I repeated this several times to the staff. They checked back on us a couple of times and eventually suggested that we might like to wait in the pool area instead, which we did. 2 o’clock came and as I stood up from my pool sunbed to go and see if there was any news, one of the staff looked at me as if he’d had a revelation. They had been looking for us for half an hour apparently. Unfortunately for us, no one had had the common sense to walk 30 paces from the reception desk and look in at the pool area. It’s not as if we were hiding!

Regrettably, this mental slowness and lack of common sense on their part permeated our entire visit.

The story so far would no doubt be just a small annoyance for your average traveller, but if I add at this point that my husband is in a wheelchair …

The room was adequate for what we needed – plenty of space, on ground level and wheelchair accessible. However, it did look very tatty indeed. White melamine kitchenettes do nothing for me at the best of times. There was a microwave, kettle, hob, sufficient cutlery and pots and all that. The fridge was turned off – why? There was apparently a hairdryer (so the brochure told us) but I was buggered if I could find it. The cane chair in the room was broken and wobbly. The TV was set at a strange angle on some unit so low down that you had to sit bolt upright in bed to have a chance of seeing it. You couldn’t adjust it, move it around the room or up to the next shelf on the unit as the aerial connection was too short and kept coming out of the wall. The TV reception was very poor and the choice of programmes appalling.

The bathroom was spacious but tatty. Simple things like the tiled corners not being finished off left a bad impression. There was a huge water stain on the ceiling that made you wonder out loud what had been going on in the suite above. A second door in the bathroom that was no longer required was simply nailed shut and painted over in the hope that no one would notice, but it was glaringly obvious. One press in the corner opened to reveal a gaping hole that went up and down as far as you could see – and we were on ground level.

The room was a ‘courtyard’ room. Unfortunately, this meant having strange cars parked 12 inches away from your window on floor level. As there were no net curtains or frosted glass, this meant that with the curtains opened in the room, anyone parking their car outside could see directly into the room and directly at you. The choice was to stay fully dressed or close the curtains. Closing the curtains plunged the room into complete darkness. Really not ideal. And all for the want of a bit of forethought and a few nets.

Housekeeping was not up to scratch at all. The mat in the room was never vacuumed and was in quite a disgusting state. I rolled it up in the end and put it in the corner of the room so we didn’t have to look at it. But each day it was put back down again. The situation with the towels became a very unfunny joke. Day 1 we had a shower towel, two bath towels and two hand towels in the room, as you would expect. Day 2 the shower towel, one bath towel and one hand towel were removed and not replaced. After Day 3’s housekeeping visit we were left with no towels at all. We were forced to go to Reception to request some and were given some damp towels from under the counter. No apology or explanation was given as to why our towels were taken and not replaced. Excuse me, but is it not a universal thing these days that towels put in the bath are for replacing and ones hung up again are to be reused? It’s a pity no one told these people that.

I hid two of the towels in the press before Day 4’s housekeeping visit, which was just as well because she took the two towels left in the bathroom away and didn’t replace them. Day 5’s housekeeping visit saw the end to the remaining two towels. I was forced to go and ask at Reception again and got a full set of five towels sent with a maid. Again no explanation or apology for having removed all the towels from the room. We left on Day 6. Quite what the thinking was behind removing all the towels I don’t know, and no one ever told us, but from the talk in the restaurant we weren’t the only victims. We were lucky to have towels at all by all accounts.

We were given two toilet rolls for the six days. I wonders what would have happened if we'd got to the end of the second one, but fortunately that didn’t happen.

Tea and coffee making facilities were available in the room. Two tea bags, two coffee sachets and four sugars. These were used on the first day but were not replenished for another two days. I had to resort to ‘pinching’ tea bags and fresh milk from the breakfast room in the mornings.

Most of the suites appeared to be self-catering but bed and breakfast packages are offered (which we had) and dinner is also offered in their restaurant. The food is hot and the portions good but the service really is quite appalling. On Day 2 we waited 40 minutes to be served our dinner after the waiter had taken down our order and drinks order on a serviette. Our drinks didn’t arrive at the table until after the main course 40 minutes later. We'd had to remind them twice. The side orders arrived 15 minutes after we had eaten the main course and we'd had to remind them twice to get them. We left without paying and no one even noticed. Our waiter was nowhere to be seen. But any attempt to charge us for what we had had would have been met with a very loud argument from me. The service was nothing short of appalling. They looked quite busy that night be even so, a 30-table restaurant (or whatever it is) should always have enough staff to cover the 30 tables. There really is no excuse for service that bad.

The concept of customer service is lost on Cape Suites. Reception was very slow, apathetic and very difficult to deal with. They were all very inexperienced and lacked smiles. Pleasant enough, I suppose, but certainly not over-friendly or happy to see you. Their lack of knowledge was laughable. We asked what time the Minstrel’s Carnival was due to start that day as we wanted to catch it. Nobody knew. This is one of the biggest carnivals in Cape Town’s calendar and no one could tell us anything about it. Unbelievable! I was at the Reception area several times over our 6-day stay and other people were being met with the same blank response to their requests for information and were getting equally frustrated with the staff. Heavens above! How thick and uninterested do you have to be in your job not to know or acquaint yourself with anything going on in the city in which you live?

Cape Suites advertise that they offer a free shuttle service to the V & A Waterfront daily. Yes they do, so long as you are ready to leave at 8, 10, 12, 2 or 4 o’clock on the dot and that there’s not more than (I think) five of you going. Outside of those times your only option for getting down to the V & A Waterfront is a taxi (less than a fiver) or your own hire car.

As we had another week to go in Cape Town (thank God not at this establishment but in the lovely Constantia winelands), we needed to get some laundry done. If you get your laundry to Reception before 9 am they will get it back to you by 6 pm that day – so says the brochure. Unfortunately not. I brought the laundry to them at 10 o’clock at night to be sure it was in for their 9 am deadline the next day. It still hadn’t reappeared by 6 pm the following night. By mid morning the next day I had to present myself at Reception to discover its whereabouts. The receptionist couldn’t get an answer from Laundry on the phone and begrudgingly went down to them personally. She came back with three of my items on hangers. Great, except I had left in 21 items for laundering. No apology and no explanation and apparently this was my problem as the look she gave me could have withered an hibiscus in full bloom. She went off again and returned with the other 19 items in two cardboard boxes. This all took 15 minutes and I was expected to wait there. For this ‘service’ I was expected to pay just under 400 Rand. Hardly a cheap service - and hardly a service.

They have internet access available at two PCs, which costs 90 Rand per hour. This is nothing short of extortionate and the connection is poor.

And I don’t know which suite ordered a 6 am wake-up call on New Year’s Day but they didn’t get it – because we did.

And all this for a supposed 4 star establishment … I don't think so!

I could go on but it’s giving me a headache. We had two weeks in Cape Town and I’m so pleased that I didn’t book more than 6 nights in Cape Suites. I really couldn’t have coped there for 13 nights. They really do have an awful long way to go in terms of customer service. There will be a steep learning curve.

Summary: On the poor side of adequate. Certainly not 4 star and really quite a trial to stay there.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
15  Thank sarah351
Reviewed 27 November 2006

What a great place this is, the welcome is always the same and continues throughout the stay. Very obliging staff who can help if it is possible. Terrific shuttle service to the Waterfront or other tourist hot spots. Great rates for these spacious self-catering suites with all kinds of additional facilities on site, restaurant, bar, laundry, two pools, barbeque organization - this is one to visit time and time again.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled solo
1  Thank Lynette
Reviewed 23 October 2006

Cape Town is a fantastic city and there are so many hotel options that i wouldn't recommend this one.
The staff are surly and completely unable to make room change requests or give a second key without management approval which never seems to occur. The rooms aren't cleaned very well with multiple day stays. Despite the blurb saying their shuttle is available til 10pm, every day i was there you could only get it four times a day (none of the times were after 4pm). The actual bedrooms are not air conditioned, there's only a tiny unit in the corner of the lounge room (for the two bedroom unit) which would be totally ineffective in the middle of summer. The "clean up" the dining room staff at breakfast are very ineffective and bascially you need to chase them to clean a table for use.
The price may be the only good thing about this place but by the time you pay for taxies to take you places you'd be better off staying somewhere more central to where you want to be. I only stayed there as it was a group booking/conference scenario and would never stay nor recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business