“Very poor service”

Ranked #7 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Very poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Four generations went to Cape Grace for afternoon tea. It started well with a huge selection of teas and a lesson on the perfect infusion. Our waitress was excellent but she was badly let down by the restaurant manager and kitchen staff. After half an hour she informed us all the scones had been sold so more would be cooked however they would serve the afternoon tea minus the scones. An hour after arrival the food arrived. Our waitress was most apologetic. The restaurant manager manager arrived just as the two under twos started to cry and the rest of the party were eating to ask if everything was ok. Not a good time to discuss the problem! Once the meal was completed we went to pay and our waitress once again apologised. We asked that the restaurant manager be informed of our apalling wait. She went to inform him, we heard her telling him but he never came out to offer any apology or a discount. If this is service at Cape Grace we will continue to stay at and enjoy The One and Only where the service and food has been outstanding.

Room Tip: Go stay at The One and Only
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank Glynis C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

From the moment we stepped into Cape Grace we were blown away by the wonderful service. Absolutely everyone we encountered from Concierge to the great staff by the pool were gracious, helpful and super smiley. Our room was beautifully appointed with amazing attention to detail. Can't wait to go back !

• Stayed March 2014
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed at the Cape Grace Hotel in Cape Town for 3 wonderful nights in March 2014. Everything was wonderful from the check in to the very early check out. Our small group left at 4:15 a.m. with coffee and breakfast bag in hand. Excellent service.

The location adjacent to the harbour makes it so easy to walk around and enjoy the surroundings. The room is very nice and comfortable, take the time to enjoy a soak in the glorious deep bathtub.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room with a view of the harbour (sailboats) not the working harbour side.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicole P
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed post cruise at the Cape Grace per recommendation of my travel agent the end of March,2014 for several nights. I knew I had made the right choice, as I was warmly greeted by the hotel driver of the luxury car that was sent to transfer me to the hotel from the cruise pier. The door staff and front desk staff could not have been more helpful and welcoming. My room was not ready, so they arranged to have my valuables and personal items secured while I went shopping. The room was fantastic with special attention to details such as "room Spray" provided in the toilet/ bath area ! The spa was warm, relaxing and I received one of the best massages for very reasonable prices.
I want to add that the Cashier -Tashwin went above and beyond assisting and making arrangements to ship all my purchases directly to my home in the US. He took care of everything including the packing, fumigation process and he even called me at my home to update me on the status of my shipment twice ! I fell in love with my hotel experience at the Cape Grace and would highly recommend anyone to stay at this oasis gem of a hotel in the heart of V&A waterfront in CapeTown . I received so much more for the worthwhile price I paid and would stay there again in a heartbeat . As a solo woman traveler , I felt completely safe and secure and at "Home" at the Cape Grace !

Barbara A

Room Tip: I stayed on the 3rd floor and recommend the 3rd or 4 th floor....the higher floors perhaps have less...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Contessa925
Rancho Mirage, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Everything was wonderful from check in to check out. The rooms are very comfortable with excellent amenities. The location adjacent to the harbor, is very good and within very easy walking distance of excellent shopping. he décor is superior and the service excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
rodl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed at the Cape Grace for two nights in February before embarking on a cruise along the west coast of Africa.

We arrived at Cape Grace after an early morning arrival on a BA flight from London where the service had been, to put it kindly, graceless. Such a contrast to our arrival at Cape Grace where from the very start we experienced gracious service that was excellent in all respects.

As we were early in arriving it was no surprise or hardship that rooms were not ready. We were greeted with a drink and then shown in to the dining room for an excellent breakfast. We were offered the option of leaving a mobile number with the promise that we would be called if a room became available before the usual check-in time. At 10.30am that call duly came and we were in our room and able to get refreshed before exploring the V&A Waterfront.

Throughout or stay the hotel maintained the same level of impeccable and friendly service.

On our second and last night we ate in the hotel dining room. We had a truly delicious meal accompanied by some excellent South African wine, chosen after an interesting conversation with the sommelier. Given the strength of the pound against the rand, the cost of this superb meal was about half the cost of something of similar quality in London.

Although we were leaving to embark on a great adventure, we still felt very sad about leaving Cape Grace - but we will be back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rodl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

If you want a remarkable hotel experience, I strongly recommend the Cape Grace Hotel in Capetown. The rooms and all public spaces are extremely beautiful-even the area to wait for the elevators on each floor have a living room feel. The staff greeted us by name at breakfast, remembered where we sat the previous day and were all very helpful. When you return after dinner, the doorman welcomes you "home". I don't think we've ever stayed in a hotel in a city that was lovelier. The location was also perfect. 5 minute walk to all the wonderful waterfront restaurants and to the Robben Island ferry. The views from the rooms are also gorgeous.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple