“Excellence”

Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Ranked #11 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Outstanding service from the minute u step out of your taxi Margaret at breakfast was lovely Danny who drove us to Camps bay and the waterfront were just two of the many helpful staff. Room was great [superior upgraded] . A really lovely meal we had the tasting menu with wines.A great week .

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank grahamggm
Write a ReviewReviews (1,623)

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Used Orient Express to plan our entire trip to South Africa including Botswana. They did a fabulous job. We ended by staying at the Mount Nelson in Capetown for one week. It was wonderful as was my entire experience with Orient Express.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bigalruth
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Very nice hotel, excellent restaurant, great spa and outstanding afternoon tea. But i think its too expensive compared to other 5 star hotels in the city.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Folky
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Gorgeous room, thoughtful service and two wonderfully creative meals.

• Stayed: November 2011
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Thank you for taking some of your time to write this review. Happy to hear that you enjoyed our chef's creativity.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

Outstanding Service, from the moment you step out of your vehicle! Beatuiful decor and stunning rooms and suites. Excellent food and wine and we really enjoyed the Afternoon High Tea as well! Although the Mount Nelson has kept up with the times extremely well, one still feels as though you are stepping back in time! A wonderful experience!

Room Tip: Try and book a room/suite with a view of Table Mountain!
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments . Happy to hear that you find the Grand Old Lady charming and keeping up to date.

Reviewed 20 November 2011

I guess I better start with the booking-Shahieda made sure everything was correct and the email confirmation was sent.When I arrived at the airport the driver was waiting with a name card and I was soon on my way back to 2 weeks of unashamed luxury!
Roberta checked me in and I found myself in a beautiful cottage suite.The view from the garden onto the 7th wonder was breathtaking.The room is divided up a bit like an old French town house.The bedroom at the back with the bathroom with a seperate toilet in the middle leading onto a huge lounge with a settee you could snooze on(I made full use of this!!!The bed is really comfy,the number one priorty for any hotel!
The room has everything the modern traveller needs and once I had a wireless router in my lounge the internet was trouble free.They are working on upgrading this,as the South African speeds are not yet up to European or US standards.
I had dinner the first night in the recently refurbished Planet restaurant,and finally after 11 years they have got a high standard restaurant with a great chef and Carl the sommelier who is a character.In the past it had always amazed me that a hotel which produces such outstanding afternoon teas struggled to produce haute cuisine,but this is no longer a problem!!
The second time I dined the aforementioned Carl produced a Pinot noir 2009 chaminix from Franschhoek,that is the best wine I have drunk in the last 15 years.He was going to give me a different red with my main course,but it would have been rude and remiss not to have a second glass!The food was well flavoured throughout and the plate of chocolate was truly excellent.
I did,as usual,have afternoon tea on one occasion.The savouries are great with alsorts of interesting canapes.It is also a fascinating place to people watch.
Patrick the F and B manager made sure my cocktail party I had in my suite went without a glitch meaning I too could enjoy myself,rather than having to worry if glasses were being re-filled and canapes were being circulated.
It is just as well I did plenty of exercise in the gym to burn off the calories!!The gym as I have said in past reports is still very dark and only has windows at the top of the wall with no views.I believe that it is being moved to the spa,where it will have windows.Not before time!!!Turning to the Spa this is a really amazing building with huge treatment rooms with separate his and hers saunas and steam rooms.They have a great team of Masseuses,I think Grizelda is terrific,she knows exactly where to find those stress knots and will always tell you it is for your own good!!!The mark of a good massage is how well you sleep the night after,and that was achieved.It is just as well the bedroom walls are thick otherwise my snoring would have kept others awake!
The swimming pool loungers are really comfy and after a couple of days Thando knew exactly my drinking habits and would produce this without having to be asked.
Breakfast is a joy lots of fresh fruit,smoked meats and fish and eggs cooked to order and the chef bribgs them to your table,no standing at the egg counter!
Margaret(who the rest of the staff call Omar)-I always joke that she is my African mother,Katie and Marie-Claire make sure the that everyone's different requirements are met with a warm smile.Again they do not have to be asked,a major plus!
Sarah(like Sonia see my Vila vita parc review) is in charge of the front office and she exudes calmness even when she is rushed off her feet.I guess you have to have this skill to be good at this,although utterly different people their professional characteristics are remarkably similar!!Although Sarah does not eat meat she was relaxed when I was describing the carnivore delights I had enjoyed!!!The reception team are fun and again always smile,Monique is great fun as well as being very efficient.Christal came out with a classic line when I asked if she was busy one morning,she said "yes,lots of check-ins and check-outs," as if this was a surprise on reception!!!
There are obviously plenty of things to do and see in Cape town,from the beauty of a trip up the mountain,to a trip to Cape point or wine testing in Stellenbosch,Paarl,Franschhoek.A trip to Kirstenbosche gardens is a must.I was also this time able to take in a test match at Newlands(shame the pitch was awful) the game was over in 3 days!Plus a theatre trip to the delightful theatre on the bay at Camps Bay.So who arranges all this?The concierge team and it would be remiss of me not to mention them all by name-Jo-Anne is in charge,with Byron has her number 2-then vaguely in height order Michelle,Althea,Osnat and Meegan.This is without doubt the best organised and best run concierge desk I have experienced-nothing is too much trouble and everything is possible.They ensure restaurants are re-confirmed,theatre tickets are purchased,transfers are to time.They write everything down,so there are no hand over glitches a common problem in business generally not just in hotels!They will pick up thinks from shops-ensure that if you have a visitor coming to see you they will take them to you,rather than you having to wait like a spare part.
The hotel also has a new GM Xavier who is always about and seems very hands on.I hope he will be like Andrew Cook and stay for many years-as he has a happy, relaxed but professional approach which will filter down.
It is an amazing experience and I thank my lucky stars that I can stay in such a wonderful place,Go to Cape town,enjoy and as long as you remember not to do silly things with regards to personal safety,(wearing copious amounts of jewellery etc),not walking at night you will have a fabulous time.It is a gem of a city,and the hotel is simply iconic
I have written separate restaurant reviews on trip advisor.
Kendal mint!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

Thank you for posting this nice comment full of passion! It is a wonderful feeling to know that repeat guests that have been coming to our property for many years are enjoying their vacations with us.

Reviewed 17 November 2011

Outstanding wine and food pairing lunch at Mount Nelson. All organic ingredients - a taste sensation!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Many thanks for your feedback. I'll pass the compliments to our chef, Rudi Liebenberg, and his staff. Bon appetit!