“high tea experience, if this is your cup of tea”

Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Cape Town
“high tea experience, if this is your cup of tea”
Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

have to book early for this experience,the place was packed.
great ambience, quite posh.
tons of old character charm. very regal.
food was average.
this is a must if you are into teas and cake.
millions of tea options.
one of those have to do activities to get the T shirt.
can be a nice way to while away an afternoon with great company or things to do, like a book, iPhone. iPad.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Mumbai
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Located at the foots of the table Mountain in the heart of Cape Town, one of the oldest properties in the city, mount Nelson is a beautiful place to stay. beautiful gardens surround the property and its away from the noise of the waterfront. Take a higher floor room and you will have a nice view of the harbour as well. Great breakfast which we enjoyed throughly.

Room Tip: The newly renovated rooms on the top floor are the best
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2012

This is one of the best, if not the best 'large' (ie. non-boutique) hotel I have ever stayed in. The reason for this is simple: the service is impeccable. We were upgraded to a superior room, which defnitely got the trip off to a great start. This is the kind of thing ALL hotels should do. Why not go the extra mile to impress your guests at no extra cost, giving them a room that is not booked anyways? In any case. Amazing. The beds are pure heaven. I actually wanted to inquire about purchasing the pillows and linens, but had no room to pack them for the rest of the trip. The courtesy car they have can take you the Waterfront, Table Mountain and a few other places for no charge. An amazing added bonus. The food is fantastic, with a great breakfast in the spectacular gardens. The concierge was flawless, booking us a rental car, securing Springbox tickets, anything we asked. Always professional and timely.
The grounds are lovely and quiet. Very secluded and we never heard any noise at all. There is really nothing I have to say that is negative other than the temperature in the room which was a bit warm, but this was easily solved by opening our patio and spending some time staring at Table Mountain.
Far superior to the V&A Waterfront, which is touristy and unauthentic. You can always hop a cab down there for dinner or shopping, but much better to stay at the MN. Also had dinner at The Planet, which was excellent.
Enjoy your stay!

Cape Town
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Given that I was the Public Relations Manager of this iconic pink hotel from 2008 to 2010, this review may appear to be somewhat biased. I must say though that despite my strong ties to the hotel, and despite having been fortunate enough to stay at and review luxury hotels around the world, Mount Nelson still never fails to surprise and delight me. My boyfriend and I celebrated the eve of his 30th birthday at the hotel this week. We arrived on a sunny winter afternoon and spent the afternoon playing Bananagram (a word game similar to Scrabble) and taking Afternoon Tea - a pastime the hotel is famous for (Afternoon Tea that is, not Bananagram). We sat on the verandah that leads off from the lounge - close enough to the tea table to keep our plates well-stocked with Executive Chef Rudi Liebenberg's more-ish mushroom empanadas, cucumber sandwiches and other tasty indulgences. Before we knew it the sun had started to dip below Signal Hill, so we pulled on jumpers and comfy shoes and set out to explore the neighbourhood on foot. With it's lush garden setting it's easy to forget that the hotel is located in the city centre. A hop across Orange Street and you're in Cape Town's green lung - the Company's Garden - and a short stroll down Government Avenue, links the hotel to the city's main streets for shopping and sightseeing. We perused Long Street and dodged the throng of customers spilling out from its bars and cafes onto the street and felt like tourists in our hometown. After having walked off our tea, we decided to indulge again, this time on pizza and pasta at Nona Lina - a low-key Italian eatery just round the corner from the hotel. We walked back to the hotel along Kloof Street and lingered in the hotel garden, under the clear starlit sky. Boyfriend's birthday hour was drawing near so we reclined on a couch by the fireplace at Planet Bar with nightcaps, and later moved outside onto the terrace to share a Montecristo No.5 under the stars. We retired to our suite in the main hotel building, overlooking the garden with its central fountain and fairy-lit palm trees. The recently refurbished junior suite felt exceptionally roomy and comfortable. The bathroom was spacious enough for me to take a bubble bath while the boyfriend showered, and we both loved the scent of the Plantation amenities, and their generous size. Boyfriend loved the convenient floor-lights in the bathroom and under the bedside table. We slept with the door to the juliet balcony open to the night sky and the tranquil fountain below lulling us to sleep. Breakfast was served in the lounge the next morning due to the Oasis wing and it's breakfast room being totally overhauled (the renovation is expected to be complete this October). We slept late and arrived as the breakfast spread was being cleared. The gracious staff let us fill our plates with the likes of bircher muesli topped with raspberry coulis, freshly baked pastries, fruit and cheese. We slowly sipped our tea and soaked up the sunshine on the terrace. Our time at Mount Nelson was brief but we departed feeling like we'd had a holiday. I'm often shocked to discover that many Capetonians have never set foot in the hotel grounds - a great shame since it's an institution that has played a great part in the city's history. It's not an everyday sort of place, but an occasional Afternoon Tea or a drink at Planet is reasonably accessible and so worth it to experience the beautiful setting and indulge one's nostalgia for a time when the highlife was all about elegance and refinement. In an age when provenance is the one ingredient that flash new hotels and eateries just cannot create or compete with, Mount Nelson is the real deal. For an experience you'll never forget: think pink.

Room Tip: The Garden Cottages are a great option for honeymooners and couples wanting a little more privacy. T...
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 31 August 2012

So there are a few things I need to point out first: I live in Cape Town and my house is about a 10 minute drive from the Mount Nelson yet I still make a point to stay there for a little R&R , mainly on special occasions.

My parents had taken me to the Nellie on quite a few occasions growing up for a Sunday lunch and then when I was older they would meet me there for a cocktail at the bar. I always loved the hotel, even declared at the age of 8 that I would live there when I grew up, but thought it was expensive and that I would not be able to afford it if my parents weren't treating.

My husband ( he was a boyfriend back then ) had recently become a fan of all those cooking shows ( think Ramsey, heston blumenthal, etc ) and I was subjected to watch all the shows with him. One evening we were watching a episode of Gorden's Ramseys where he talked about the chefs table he had at most of his restaurants and how great it was for the guests to experience a working restaurant. I was immediately inspired and decided that for my husbands 30th birthday I would organise a chef's table experience.

The next day I started looking at options and found that a chef's table, specially in Cape Town, is a rare find. On a last minute effort I emailed the Mount Nelson and received a prompt response saying that they do in fact have a chefs table and they would be able to create a special evening for the two of us. And this they did.

The cleared out the normal large table they have and put in a smaller more intimate one and we then had a evening I'll never forget. We had a chef, Colin, dedicated to cooking for only us for the evening along with our own waitron and a somilier for the evening. It was amazing! Think over 11 courses all paired with special wines.

It was so good that I booked the chefs table for the following month on my Dad's birthday and took the whole family. It has since become a tradition. We go , to the now planet restaurant, on every special occasion ( birthdays, anniversaries, celebrations, etc..). We don't only go to the Chef's table but also the main restaurant itself which is truly beautiful. The service is not lost and the staff are amazing.

Generally people think that the Nellie will cost a fortune but it is extremely reasonable. They have an amazing special on Mondays at the moment - R330 pp for 5 courses with wine pairing. I spend more than that at a Saints around the corner on burgers and a few cocktails!

There is no pretension from other guests or staff either which most people oddly assume you would get here.

We have been going to Planet bar and restaurant now for a few years and have gotten to know the staff quite well. They are an extraordinary group of individuals who take pride in what they do and make you feel welcome every time.

I've also stayed at the Nellie on a few occasions after my planned diners, best not to drink and drive even when I live so close, and the rooms are elegant and simply perfect.

If you are looking for anything special or just want to know you are getting quality and fantastic service - then go to the Nellie, you wont be disappointed.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 26 August 2012

8 nights at the Mount Nelson--all fantastic. The staff was professional yet friendly along all lines of work. The concierge assisted with multiple day trips over the course of our stay. We enjoyed afternoon tea (a must! especially the Bee Sting cake) several times while taking in the beautiful property sites. Both restaurants provided outstanding meal service during our stay but the Planet Restaurant was definitely an "over the top" experience. Great location to walk to local sights. Absolutely amazing room with phenomenal views of Table Mountain . . . highly recommend the Mount Nelson Hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2012

1 night stay. Everything went well from BEFORE I booked in. Immediate advice when I asked for the name of "that nice italian place near the company gardens". Helped at very short notice for a large booking at the in-house Planet Restaurant. Helped gracefully as the booking numbers went down (some friends you just cannot rely on, no?) from 9 to 4.

INCREDIBLY nice dinner, with Farai, our waiter, also impressing as a sommelier. Food quality and presentation right up there, and I have eaten at most of the top 10 SA restaurants. Service fantastic, and informed. The chefs rock!!

Room superb - large, spotless, understated elegance, all amenities working and high class. Staff excellent throughout - sometimes the cachet of an establisment rubs on off on the people working there in the wrong way, and you get staff looking down at guests, being snotty and generally acting like hipster waiters in a Camps Bay hotspot - none of this here - friendly, polite, relentlessly efficient.

So, most of my superlatives used, and this review just barely made 4 paragraphs. I have nothing much more to say exept this: "thanks to all of you - we really really really enjoyed our stay!"

Room Tip: Junior suites great value for money
1 Thank steynv01