“Best Staff in the World!”

Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Best Staff in the World!”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We recently stayed at "The Nelly" for our 50th anniversary. Having stayed in many 5 star hotels we were expecting good things. All I can say is from the fabulous welcome in reception to our checking out that everything was perfect! All the staff were polite yet very friendly and obviuosly well trained. Yes - the hotel is Colonial in style but not in attitude or atmosphere. Great food, super bar, lovely spa and very attractive pool. From the Colony buffet restaurant overlooking the wonderful gardens and pool you would never realize you are in the heart of Cape Town. Any downsides? Only that the wireless internet signal was quite weak in certain parts of the hotel, but this was never a problem as there were ethernet cables in the rooms. A fabulous experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2013

We held a meeting for over 100 people at the hotel and the venue was universally enjoyed. The rooms were delightful in a charming style. The breakfast buffet and the buffet lunches in the Oasis restaurant were outstanding. Nothing was too much trouble at this hotel and I would love to stay there again for pleasure instead of business. The view of Table Mountain is spectacular. The only downside was the spread out buildings and many with lots of stairs. Not a problem for most on holidays but something to be aware of.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Gilford, New Hampshire
Reviewed 23 April 2013

This has been our go-to hotel in Cape Town, but my most recent visit has left me thinking about finding a new spot. We haven't been here in 5 years and there have been a couple of cost saving measures put in place that have made the stay a little disappointing. First, the hotel now shuts down some of their rooms during the off season. Our favorite suite (Hof Villa 700) was among these rooms, so we couldn't stay there this time, and although our suite in the main building is nice, I miss the Hof Villa 700, which is its own separate little house with 2 floors and a large balcony off of the bedroom on the second floor.

Also, the Mount Nelson used to have the most extraordinary breakfast spread, and it has been downsized. It is still a good spread, but it is nowhere near as extensive and certainly doesn't have the lavish, fancy feel it used to have. Instead of an omelette/egg station as part of the breakfast, there is now the option to order something off of an a la cart menu for an upcharge. Instead of a table with bottles of champagne on ice for you to pour at your leisure, there is the option to purchase beverages off of the menu. They still have a great selection of cheeses, which I like. They also have quite a few hot breakfast meat choices, which I don't care for, but I appreciate that they have them. They have delicious, soft sour dough bread and fantastic cinnamon muffins, as well as delicious lattes - big plusses. Their fruit selection is extensive, but a little lackluster. The strawberries certainly look like they've seen better days, but I do understand that produce selection is not always under the end user's control. They are missing what I think to be pretty basic breakfast items, like some sort of potato - hashbrowns, wedges, fried, whatever - I'm not picky, but I like to have some sort of taters with my eggs. Unless you pay the upcharge for the specialty egg dishes (omelette, benedict, croque madae, etc...) then only scrambled eggs are available. That is fine except that this morning, for example, the egg dish was empty the entire time I was at breakfast. Another hot dish pan was also empty the whole time and I have no idea what that was because, well, it was never there. I am definitely harping on the breakfast, but it just used to be such a draw, so it was so disappointing during this stay. Honestly, I'm not even a huge breakfast eater normally, but I really loved their breakfast here, so the change has made a real impression on me.

Other than that, the staff is friendly and efficient. The property is gorgeous. Just walking around the grounds is a real treat. And I know they must have bad weather sometimes, but I have never been in Cape Town when it wasn't beautiful weather, so that only enhances the beauty of the grounds in the hotel. I haven't used the spa, but the gym is nice. It is in its own building. It is not huge, but has a good selection of machines and equipment whether you're into cardio, weights, yoga, etc... Both pools are nice. The rooms are light, airy, comfortable, and spacious. Good location - close to everything, but without a feeling of being in the bustling town center.

All in all, I still think this is a great place, but I am very cognizant of the changes in the past 5 years. Had I never stayed here before, I would probably give it 5 stars, but I know what it used to be like, so I have to downgrade it a little.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank catie3
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thank you for choosing the Mount Nelson Hotel once more during your recent visit to Cape Town. Our property has close to 200 rooms and during the months with less demand, we do close the Tauton and Hoff Villa wings which have only 10 rooms. If you do plan on coming back in the future, please contact me directly and I will do my best to have suite 700 available for you.
I am sorry that the breakfast was not at the level that you expected. All your points are well noted. Please however note that all specialty eggs (soft boiled, eggs Benedicte, omelettes, etc..) can all be ordered "A la carte" at no additional cost. The same applies to pancakes, waffles and crepes. Apparently you were not explained this which is unfortunate and for which I apologize.
Hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again on your next visit to Cape Town.
Kind regards,
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 22 April 2013

This is by far the best hotel staff my family has ever experienced. My daughter loved that they would have her favorite cup of hot chocolate in front of her, seconds after sitting down. She giggled every morning feeling important like in the movies! The buffet breakfast was by far the best breakfast in the World. We never missed breakfast! The rooms are spacious and beautiful, from a time era long past. The swimming pool and spa are modern and so lovely. The grounds are huge and well maintained with beautiful flowers and foliage. High Noon Tea's presentation is fabulous, with 25 types of teas and scrumptious chocolates and desserts. Our room had the view of Tabletop Mountain. Loved watching the clouds roll in and out from sunrise to sundown, it was never the same and when the Dr. Winds arrived the clouds galloped in. By walking out the front door, It's a nice walk to downtown through the park. By going out the back door, it's close to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Hawaiian555
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 April 2013

This was the first hotel we checked into after traveling for some 20 plus hours from D.C. Just entering the property through the large white columns was impressive, the grounds beautiful. The check-in was flawless, with bellhops ready to help us wary travelers to our rooms. The rooms were beautifully appointed, huge windows overlooking the gardens. In the mornings, we walked through the gardens to our breakfast, which was a combination of buffet (many tables full of food, one dedicated to meats/cheeses, one to fruits (some I've never seen before), one to breads, and so on). Despite all the hot food (including 3 quiches), you could also order off the menu and there were also freshly made waffles and such. Many fresh-squeezed juices. We were not there for tea, as we were out and about touring CT and surrounding areas, but in the evening, we enjoyed the veranda, having wines and soup. One evening my sister and I also enjoyed the restaurant in the hotel, we were terribly disappointed that we were so tired because it was probably the best restaurant we ate at while In Africa, 5 star all the way. The beds were crazy comfortable, pillow topped and nice duvets. Very clean. Huge tub.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank scgirl34
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We went there for morning tea - tried out 3 different teas - they served savoury as well as delicious cakes. You never felt that they were rushing you. A thoroughly enjoyable experience. Will go back to try their afternoon tea next time we're in Cape Town.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 427sue
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The hotel's pampering provided the perfect conclusion to a cruise vacation. On staff tour guide Darrol Lee picked us up right at the dock. He proved to be so charming and knowledgeable that we booked him for our entire 3 day stay. He rapidly assessed our interests, and provided a spectacular insider's journey around the Cape area. The front office staff was extremely welcoming. With a smile Chad Bartman offered us a wonderful upgrade. He proved to be attentive throughout our stay. The suite was massive, and featured a long veranda with a view of Lion's Head. The grounds are absolutely stunning with a backdrop of Table Mountain. The food venues are varied and excellent. The elegant old world lounge and conservatory is famous for its afternoon tea. The Planet Bar has a whimsical decor and serves up super cocktails and scrumptious appetizers. The sunny Oasis poolside restaurant is the scene of the unbelievable smorgasbord breakfast and the tasty å la carte lunch. The wait staff was totally attentive. We did not get a chance to experience the popular Planet Restaurant, but I assume it is on a par with the rest of the facilities. I am simply in love with the hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms with views of Table Mountain or Lion's Head
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple