“Elegance and charm”

Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Ranked #11 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I came back to this charming and brilliant hotel. Like everything in life it has it's flaws but the gardens the afternoon tea surrounded by the cape mountains makes it unbeatable. Yes some rooms are better than others, I prefer staying away from the main hotel in the green park wing in a room with a belocony that looks towards the mountains, also if you want to treat yourself the apartments opposite the small pool are fabulous. This hotel is magical and due to business I also had to stay at the table bay hotel with its grand big rooms but with so little soul that when I closed the door the world closed in on me. At the Nelly outside beauty and the inner soul exist. Yes I had a small issue but the hotel manager got on the case and sorted it. I will be back.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 May 2013

My wife and I were treated especially well at this hotel and the high tea was a highlight. Service was excellent from the initial introduction on arrival to the delivery of our luggage to our rooms to the exceptional service at breakfast. The chef made up a separate platter of sumptuous gluten free cakes for high tea for my wife who has coeliac disease while I just thoroughly enjoyed the huge selection from the main table. (Be sure to inform well in advance if you have dietary needs). Every aspect of our two night stay was most enjoyable. Our room was excellent and very clean, as was the bathroom. Very comfortable bed assisted with a great night's sleep. Loved the gardens and surrounds and especially appreciated the complimentary transport via a Toyota Prius to the Waterfront shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Inform well in advance for any special dietary requirements for the high tea.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2013

My husband and I got a complimentary two night stay at this hotel. Greeted with a warm welcome we were soon very disappointed in this 5 star establishment. The porters took at least 20 - 30 mins to bring our luggage after we had to call them to bring it from the car they had taken to the garage. The room was absolutely beautiful but with a broken chandelier and coffee machine across the room from the only plug point, we soon realized that the hotel is in desperate need of decent attentive staff to check the rooms. We carried the coffee machine across to the desk so we can have a coffee only to realize that not only were we not informed on how to use the machine but also found old coffee pods from previous guests still in the machine as well as no milk for our coffee. Eventually our luggage arrived. Porters did not apologize for the delay and also did not mention that they had broken the handle on my luggage(obviously ripping it out of the car). Although we were not paying for the room, it doesn't seem right to damage a guests luggage without saying anything and leaving this for the guest to find out for themselves.
Breakfast service was great though and must say that the staff were exceptional! I regret not remembering the names of the staff that attended to us (Margret perhaps?) as they were really attentive and looked after us with care.

Room Tip: We had the garden suite which was very private and more like a small apartment.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GCSJohannesburg
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Please accept our sincere apologies concerning the services issues that you encountered during your stay at the Mount Nelson Hotel. Attention to detail is key in our business and it obviously seems that this was not the case during your visit. On the other hand, happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast service from Margaret, who is one of stars that has been shining here over 25 years.
Best regards,

Reviewed 5 May 2013

My wife and I met a friend in Cape Town for lunch at the Mount Nelson and ended up staying for the night. The ambiance is fantastic! We experienced high tea after lunch and then were off to see more of Cape Town. We returned to the wonderful atmosphere and staff of the Mount Nelson for a wonderful and restful night and fantastic breakfast before we headed off to Hermanus. It was a true five star experience which we will treasure in relation to the location and the staff!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I just had the pleasure to stay at the Mount Nelson for 3 days and really enjoyed it. I stayed in one of the renovated rooms in the annex, and they are beautiful. What I especially enjoyed is the garden. From the small balcony of my room, I could enjoy it, and at night, the lights, the palm trees, the calm - quite wonderful.

I also enjoyed the nice breakfast, with plenty of fruit, cheeses, müsli etc. afternoon tea looked lovevly as well.

I was not quite convienced by house-keeping (and this being a five star hotel, with high prices, this is the main reason why I dont give a 5 star rewiev). on my first day, i put a opened bottle of wine into the mini-bar (which doesnt stock any wine, so it was quite obvious that it was "my bottle". Went to the pool to swim, and back to the room, and it was gone. On the second night, no turn down service. Of course no big deal, but as even a 3.5 star place in the Timbavati (= a tented lodge in the Krüger National Park) managed, I would except at least the same, if not more, from a 5 star hotel in CPT. Also, next morning, at 08h40, at knock on the door, "can we service your room now". Quite early, but I was out of bed and almost ready, so I answered - not now, but I will be out of the room in the next 10 minutes. I came back to the room at 15h10 and the room was unmade. again, not a tragedy, but not what i except from a five star hotel.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Having always stayed in rented villas by the beach in Cape Town I was sceptical about going to a hotel in the middle of town but my fiancé and I were blown away by the hotel. From arrival to departure, the staff were magnificent and the quality of the hotel unquestionable.

We would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2013

With Table Mountain as a backdrop, this historic hotel has so much potential, but it fails to meet expectations. Built on land formerly used for slave and horse auctions the Mount Nelson was the first hotel to offer hot and cold running water in South Africa… today service lacks. As one example when it came to cleaning our room (or more literally not cleaning our room) the hotel was very quick to make excuses, placing blame on the guest first, and taking responsibility last. The hotel is renowned for two things - there afternoon tea and there gardens. The gardens, in my opinion are neither extravagant nor are they bad, but instead somewhere in the middle. I noticed weeds coming up between many of the paving stones. The afternoon tea is the hotels only saving grace. With 32 teas including their own blend, and hosts to assist with recommendations and steeping, all you have to do is sit back, enjoy the cucumber sandwiches and scones (the have an amazing spread of sandwiches, pies, cakes, and other sweet and savory treats laid out) as a pianist tickles the ivories. Once you have experienced the afternoon tea, it's easy to see why it's so popular – from multi generational families to middle aged women, to young professional Capetonians dressed in their finest. The pros of this hotel include the gardens, an excellent afternoon tea and breakfast and a decently sized gym and pool. The cons however outweigh the pros. Specifically service was poor, there is only one small elevator and views are limited in a town where almost every hotel has jaw dropping vistas. Honestly, while staying here, with my view of the pool and surrounding office buildings / shops it didn’t feel very Cape Town’ish. Too bad Table Mountain is behind the hotel! Also I was not impressed with the Prius vehicles used for free transfers (other comparable hotels in Cape Town offer transfers in BMW’s, Jags and Mercedes’). Interesting as well that free transfers are offered to Camp’s Bay and Table Mountain but not to the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Perhaps they are concerned guests will see the waterfront and want to stay at one of the nice hotels there! My personal recommendation is visit it for afternoon tea, but don’t stay overnight.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Safari_Tim
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Please accept our sincere apologies regarding the services issues and happy that you enjoyed the afternoon tea.
Just a few clarifications further to your review. Our courtesy car, the Prius which is a hybrid car (and hence eco-friendly unlike Mercedes and BMW), offers complimentary transfers to Camps Bay, Table Mountain as well as to the Waterfront. Mercedes, and other luxury cars are also available to our guests but at a fee.
The area where the Mount Nelson is the heart and soul of Cape Town. Company Gardens, Kloof Street, and Long Street are footsteps from the hotel. It is the historical and authentic location of Cape Town rather than a commercial area with a shopping mall. It may require a little more time to discover and understand. We have some fantastic guides that offer historical walking tours of the surrounding area.
Our property has close to 200 rooms with diversified views. Some rooms have Table Mountain views, Signal Hill views, Lion's Head views or views of the garden.
Finally, the property has more than one lift. The Oasis wing, where you were staying, has three floors with ten rooms per floor. This wing just has one lift (one lift for 30 rooms).
Thank you for visiting Cape Town.
Best regards,