“Truly an exceptional experience!”

Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Ranked #11 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This hotel combines history, excellent service, and great fascilities. The soul of the hotel and its staff welcome you from check in to check out. I had 5 marvellous days here, and will definitively return!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Kristoffer W
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for your kind review. We look forward to seeing you on your return visit to Cape Town.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

They may have the world's best afternoon tea but lunch service is terrible. I could hear Margaret, our server, reminding the bartender that she had put in an order for a glass of ice water and an ice tea. She came back and said he was making the tea fresh. Well they must have been making the water fresh too. We noticed that we were given two different menus but they took our order anyway. When it arrived they had given my wife the same thing but she had ordered the pulled lamb sandwich which shouldn't look like the ostrich fan steak. Despite repeated apologies it finally came. Of course I didn't get what I ordered. I had asked for more onion rings on the side rather than French fries. I got French fries. They finally sent out the chef, Samantha, who was quite personable.

Well, nice venue, but abysmal service. If they can't get orders correct, then they should close. I hope your experience is much better.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DocRichardson
Reviewed 27 November 2013

One of the best hotels we have stayed in worldwide. Service impeccable, food wonderful and first rate accommodation. Staff friendly, attentive, knowledgable and helpful. We could not fault it. We would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mwright982
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Thank you for your positive review. Hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again on your next visit to Cape Town. As an FYI, we have just had the opening of "Summer of Sculpture 2" in our gardens where we have 17 South African artists exhibiting 22 sculptures.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Mount Nelson Hotel is truly an oasis in the heart of Capetown. Lush gardens surround this stately low rise hotel and Table Mountain rises behind; a stunning, jaw dropping vista. From the moment one arrives, entering through the massive white columns and up the long shaded drive, one is treated like royalty. Each and every staff member is remarkable; friendly, professional, and helpful. They do whatever they can, to make your stay special.

My room was beautiful; a large, elegant retreat overlooking the pool and gardens, the bed, exceptionally comfortable with top quality linens.

Each morning I enjoyed a delicious buffet breakfast on the terrace. It was a wonderful, leisurely way to start the day and I felt always a little reluctant to leave and go sightseeing! From the Mount Nelson Hotel, both routes of the Hop On Hop Off bus can be accessed, as the bus stops right at the main entrance. The courtesy car is also available should you want to go directly to a specific location, such as the waterfront. As much as the waterfront is a lively and interesting tourist destination, I was quite happy to not be staying there. I much prefer the quieter, secluded nature of the Mount Nelson. It is also a great spot from which to set off on a walking tour. Very near are the Company Gardens, the National Gallery ( very worthwhile!) and other museums and attractions, as well as many good restaurants.

I loved my stay at the Mount Nelson. I would love to go back, and if I am ever able to return to Cape Town, I will return to the Mount Nelson. In fact, I would go back to Cape Town, just to stay at the Mount Nelson! Now that's an idea!!

Room Tip: I had a pool view and it was very very nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank noreen m
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. Hope to see you again if you have a chance to return to Cape Town. In the meantime, you may want to see the new movie, "Long Walk to Freedom". The movie is being released on November 29 and it is a chronicle of Nelson Mandela's life journey from his childhood in a rural village through to his inauguration as the first democratically elected president of South Africa. I haven't seen it yet but will make sure I see it.
Best regards,

Reviewed 24 November 2013

You should be in no doubt that this is a great hotel - all class. Whether its the friendly and professional staff, the splendid breakfast spread, or the hotel's beautiful grounds and graceful sculptures, there is so much to love about this timeless hotel. When we stayed nothing was too much trouble - e.g. when we checked in the WiFi was not working in our room, but it was not long before a technician was up to fix it without the usual fuss that often accompanies such irritants.

The hotel is also ideally placed right across the road from the Government Avenue gardens, placing it within walking distance of the national museum and planetarium, the national gallery and national library, St George's Cathedral, and the Jewish Museum. In addition, there is a stop for the 'hop-on hop-off' bus right out the front off the hotel. Add to this the service of the hotel's 'courtesy car', and there not many sites in Cape Town that are out of reach!

Along with the hotel's famous 'High Tea and its marvellous heated outdoor swimming, it's not difficult to see why this hotel has such a great reputation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank anactbloke
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you for posting your review on your stay at the Mount Nelson Hotel. Sorry to hear that you had WIFI issues. I understand that you like culture. So, if you do return to Cape Town, you can look forward to the opening of a new museum, MOCAA - Museum of Contemporary Art Africa, at the end of 2016. Hope to see you then! Thanks for visiting.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

The Mount Nelson is probably the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed at…. I think I have found my 'spiritual' home here. So, what is truly different about the Mount Nelson? well for one, it is the personal service received from the moment you step into the foyer - for the whole of my stay everyone greeted me by my name (how refreshing is this…?) and would stop and ask (with great interest) how I was enjoying my stay… The front desk was very welcoming and informative, the head concierge, Byron was wonderful, accommodating, with a real 'can-do' spirit, and with a smile that would brighten up anyones day. OK, so too the location of this hotel is quite stunning, the gardens are wonderfully tended and beautiful, and my large, comfortable room had the most delightful view of Table Mountain, it is also central to downtown Cape town and easy to walk, if you feel like it. The high tea was a major highlight of my stay, a veritable feast, wonderful service, a great way to wend away an afternoon. I also got the experience the spectacular food (and accompanying delicious wine) in the Planet restaurant, which has been one of the best food experiences I have had in the last five years - it is certainly on par with Djelina in LA. I was very impressed. The only question left to answer is how soon I can get back…
Please thank everyone for working and proving such amazing service from their hearts - beautiful to witness the real essence service in action.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank FionaJacob

Thank you for your kind review. May the Mount Nelson Hotel remain your spiritual home. We'd love to have you you back. Thanks for visiting.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

What an amazing old, but new where it matters, hotel. The best of British slightly faded elegance. The setting is beautiful, the rooms large and comfortable. The front desk and concierge are amazing. From my first email contact to reserve, they were perfect. They provided very affordable airport pickup, making me feel really secure as I arrived tired in a city I didn't know.

The hotel is surrounded by simple but good and affordable restaurants, and the concierge chose one for us each night which was a success.

The breakfast is one of the best buffets I've ever had.

Although it's not in the hopping waterfront area, it is an easy and safe walk through the company garden area to the center of town. And if you want to go to the waterfront, the hotel provides transportation.

We had a view of Table Mountain from our room.

Most of all, everyone was just so pleasant and helpful. And for that kind of experience, the price was right.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, which let us walk rather than use the elevator, which we always prefer...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MillwoodTwo
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Mount Nelson Hotel on Tripadvisor. Byron and his team at the concierges desk do a great job all supervised by our star guest relations manager, Mr. Joey Michael, who has been looking after our guests for almost a quarter of a century. Thanks for visiting!