“Play some tennis...”

Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Ranked #11 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I've just returned from a few days stay at the Mount Nelson. This is the second time I have stayed at the hotel. And each time have enjoyed my stay, however the real gem of the trip this time was playing tennis at the hotel. A friend of mine had enjoyed lessons there on our first trip over, so on the second I thought I would make the most of it. What started out as one lesson, ended up in me playing everyday I was there, it was so good. Barkie the coach is a pro tennis coach and I was a little intimidated by this, I hadn't played tennis for 10 years, but it couldn't have been better. I felt totally comfortable and learnt so much as a result of this. Buy the end of four lessons I had a forehand, backhand and a serve. I'm delighted as this is something I have really been able to take away with me. Equally I know that friends who are very accomplished tennis players always enjoy playing there too. So, if you can tear yourself away from the pool, spa or afternoon tea - go and book yourself a lesson. And it's much more enjoyable that the gym!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for your nice review. Yes, we are very fortunate to have Barkie as our tennis coach. He has done a tremendous job throughout the years.
Playing tennis in a beautiful garden with Table Mountain in the background can only happen at the Mount Nelson.
Happy to hear that your strokes improved.
Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,676)

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Thank you Sarah for your great work! I was so looking forward to staying in Cape Town that I decided to spend a bit more than usual by staying at the famous Mount Nelson. I was not disappointed at all!

What a great reception. Warm, friendly and so professional. I have to say that the quality of their breakfasts is surpassed only by that fabulous view I felt as if Table Mountain was giving me a big hug :)

Even if you usually stay at B&B's and backpackers like I do. Spend the extra even if just for a night

Room Tip: Even the cheapest room is 5 star
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review. We are so fortunate to have such a beautiful mountain in the heart of the city. Hope to see you again on a return visit to Cape Town.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

This is our third time at the Mount Nelson Hotel. The first was three years ago: our special anniversary, the second was last year when my husband was dangerously ill and we both needed to get away. It really was the only place we could have come to in the circumstances. Having booked to come back this year for a very much needed rest and pampering, we are now into our first week of two and we just wish that it was going to be longer.... Upon arrival, the staff greeted us (my husband mainly) with such warmth that we both felt quite emotional. Everyone of them had remembered our plight and made an especial effort to show us that they really do care. The breakfast buffet is much improved and the Sunday brunch/jazz has been re-introduced. The food is excellent (just ask if you don't like what is on the menu in the restaurant and the waiting staff will always try to accommodate your wishes). There really is nothing about the hotel that I would not recommended - yes, it has its glitches (but that is part of its charm) but the staff are always quick to put things right - you just have to make the effort to let them know! We are already thinking of returning next year - another holiday to look forward to and to aim for. I have traveled extensively over my working years and can honestly say that I have never come across a hotel that meets all the requirements of a chic but relaxed 5*. Well done in particular to the Concierge and Reception staff and to the helpful boys and girls on duty in the garden and the staff in the Oasis who seem to smile through anything.... Don't think about it: just BOOK and ENJOY! You won't regret it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

It's a pleasure to welcome you back to the Mount Nelson Hotel. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay and the wonderful weather.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Having again negotiated hard with the delightful Sarah,we came up with a deal that we were both happy with.
When I arrived at the airport the hotel driver was waiting with a huge smile and I was soon being checked in, by the character that is, Patrick,who still believes reception is more important than concierge,more on that later!I was quickly unpacked in my immaculate room.Housekeeping here are amazing,clothes are folded away,the bedding is crisp and clean and the laundry and dry cleaning is always perfect.You can have laundry done 7 days a week,oh how the hotels in Europe could learn from this!
I was well rested from my flight and was ready to stretch my legs in the gym,this is a modern light and airy room with good equipment and magnificent views,they could do with another couple of bikes as at busy times it can mean a long wait!
Then I moved to my sun lounger under the tree,here you can be utterly lazy as Kevin,Connie,Emma and Namhla lay out your towels and bring your drinks.They are happy to chat but know when to leave you to sleep and relax and when to share a joke.
After a hot bath in a huge bath with a view of the Mountain the rooms have natural light in the bathroom,it was down to see Benson and his team for a drink in the bar.Chilled champagne glasses and morish biltong are a pleasant way to start the evening.This is a friendly happy place and it is fun to watch them making outrageously alcoholic cocktails!
I ate in the Planet one evening and Pearl said to me with her beaming smile"you can choose the food,but the deal is I will choose your wine!"
I think it was a good arrangement as she picked some great wine and understood that my palate prefers older more complex ones,while carefully marrying them to my food choices.
Rudi produces great food,the springbok was delightful full of different flavours.I also enjoyed a plate of spicy gazpacho,that is how that should be!
Vicky the pastry chef is passionate about her baking and the pudding was utterly decadent but I am on holiday.I always tease her-how can a pastry chef be so trim!
After sleeping well on the so comfortable bed and afte my morning trip to the gym,it is time for breakfast,this is the one area where there is room for improvement.The food is of course magnificent with wide choices.Eggs etc can be cooked to order,but the service does vary from the superb to the average.It depends who is looking after your table,Lizle and Jonathan are excellent maitre d' .Magaret,Katie and Jessica and Darryl are brilliant,and ensure you have everything you need.Let me just say that some of the others can learn from them!
Turning to the spa,the therapists are truly outstanding Fairoza and Yoscha organise my bookings efficiently and accurately.Kelly and Liza are excellent new additions,Kelly in particular is very strong for one so tiny!Natalie,Themba and Dominique are all excellent.The key to a good massage is how well you sleep after them,and I can say I slept like a baby after each one!
Rob and the maintenance team sort out any small problems in the room quickly and efficiently.
Carmen and the banqueting team organised my cocktail party in Taunton Gardens with the usual aplomb.Thuli and Ntsiki topped up glasses and served the food with beaming smiles and ensured my guests had a fun afternoon!
The transport team led by Wayne are amazing always pick you up on time and are happy to wait if your dinner over-runs as this is never an exact science.Paul and Zaheer a real character, drive carefully and are full of good humour
My tour of the hotel is almost complete,but there is one group of people much to Patrick's chagrin are the shining stars of my stay,they organise everything for me from toothpaste to Onsies(they will understand that one!)Jo-Anne is back from maternity leave and keeps the team on their toes and ensured the aforementioned onesie was bought in the correct size and beautifully wrapped ,Byron(Mr charmer yet highly efficient)my mum still talks about him 2 years later!!!The incomparable Althea who is the best anywhere in the world,Lize confident,Angela shy are both highly efficient,they are all an utter joy to interact with.
Stacey checked me out,(although Busi vied with her to do this!!) with her usual good humour and efficiency.
Joey and Xavier are always about to share a bon mot and check all is going well.
I loved Joey's joke on my last day asking me if I needed help with my packing-he did wait until I had paid though(LOL!!!)
This is an amazing hotel and I am so lucky be able to stay in a place as lovely as this.
Kendal mint

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank KendalMint

We are very lucky to have you as one of our loyal guest. Always a pleasure seeing you and hearing your stories on your different dining experieneces. Looking forward to seeing you on your next visit to celebrate your 50th birthday.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

This was my third stay at the Mount nelson in 10 years, we got married there in 2004 and I was a little worried that going back for our anniversary might not live up to all those lovely memories. My worries were unfounded. We were greeted with a warm, friendly reception. Our room was lovely, very spacious with a small balcony and stunning bathroom. It looked out over the gardens and pool, with amazing views of Cape Town.

The Planet restaurant was a great experience, the food was amazing the service outstanding, a real treat for us to experience our 10 year anniversary in such a beautiful hotel and restaurant. If only some of the guests dining that night had bothered to dress smartly. I realise that summer in Cape Town is a relaxed affair, but if you are going to make the effort to dine at the Mt. Nelson, a beautiful colonial hotel, steeped in history....then, surely you could bother to change out of a pair of dirty old jeans and to wear a clean shirt.

The Planet Bar was buzzing with energy and laughter, with groups of people enjoying drinks outside on the terrace.

Breakfast was laid back with a vast choice from the buffet, we ate on the terrace in the warm sun. The pool was also laid back, despite being a family area. There is an adult only pool hidden away at the back of the hotel if you require complete peace and quiet. Afternoon tea was exceptional and an experience in itself, again the service was excellent.

10/10. I hope very much to go back one day...it was faultless and the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for coming back to the Mount Nelson Hotel to celebrate your 10 year anniversary. Very happy to hear that we could live up to your expectations for this special occasion.
Regarding the dress code at the Planet Restaurant, our policy is not extremely strict as many of our guests, as you note, are on vacation. We just do not accept shorts.
Thanks again for staying with us on this special day.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

the Mount Nelson lived up to expectation with the hotel and staff experience absolutely first class - this place makes you feel special and nothing is too much trouble in the opulent surroundings of this lovely old building at the foot of table mountain - perhaps the best breakfast of our holiday too,

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your very kind review. I'm not sure that we are perfect but our staff does try very hard to make our guests' sojourn as pleasant and memorable as possible. Thank you very much for your support and we hope to see you again in the near future at the Mount Nelson.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

First time here with no preconceptions. Totally wonderful experience from check in to checkout. Great care has been taken with providing every modern amenity but in no way changing the great character of a wonderful and dare I say 'old fashioned' hotel. The staff, from top to bottom, are the most pleasant, helpful and genuinely concerned with the guest's comfort and well being. So many modern 5* establishments claim to do this but most fall very short. The location and surrounds is second to none for a city centre hotel - and it is that; a short walk though the Company's Gardens takes you to the heart of Cape Town. If you want the glitz of the V&A Waterfront scene then it's only a short cab ride away and then you can return to the haven of the MN

I shall not go on any more because it could take all day, but I would echo a20hol 's review (Classic Bentley or Ford Mondeo...) in that I don't recognise some reviewer's comments - they must have been somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying at the Mount Nelson for the first time on your recent visit to Cape Town. Glad you enjoyed the tranquility of the property as well as the friendliness and professionalism of the staff. Hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a return visit to Cape Town.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Town Central
POD Camps Bay
POD Camps Bay
#1 of 12 in Camps Bay
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, C...
#31 of 112 in Cape Town Central

Been to Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel? Share your experiences!