“Fabulous & Historical Property, even better tennis!”

Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Fabulous & Historical Property, even better tennis!”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Our entire experience in the Hotel made us feel like Royalty... Excellent attention to our every move whilst on the Property, follow up to the most minor detail and a real desire to please us in every way.
Staff was attentive and ALWAYS offered a smile and friendly greeting. They often erred toward offering something if we gave even the slightest indication of desire.

The room was Goldilocks… juuuuuust right! The toiletries were of wonderful quality (Charlotte Rhys), the linen/towels were A grade, the bed very comfortable & the design was lovely & regal. A coffee/espresso machine was a nice touch, & necessary several times to get me over the hump to the evening’s activities! The gym was quaint yet complete; anything you wanted to work on was available (free weights, machines, treadmill, rowing, elliptical, stretching). The negative edge pool was thankfully heated which was necessary even in early May. The Tennis Courts were in good repair and secluded (almost hidden) which is too bad (they aren't even mentioned on the website). Tennis available is one thing missed, but more importantly is the Gem the Property possesses in their Tennis Pro, Barkie McKrea. I’ve played A LOT of Tennis (rated NTRP 4.0) and in all my years I have found no other Coach like Barkie. He was unusually perceptive about me, my game & my potential and he offers only that which SPECIFICALLY suits me, my playing style and my ability. He makes it EASY to incorporate that which I could not find without his guidance/encouragement (nor could I find it with other Tennis Pros in the States). And it is THAT which is already in me that Barkie brings out which will not only forever change my Tennis game; it will stay with me forever! Others told me what was missing, Barkie told me SPECIFICALLY what to do. Much love for/to Barkie; only wish I could train with him more (8500 miles is a rather long commute I’m afraid)…

The food at MNH was always very well prepared and delicious to eat. The Afternoon High Tea was pretty special indeed, and their knowledge of the Teas and the expansive Menu (highly educative) was FABULOUS! I felt as if I should ensure my pinkie out when drinking their beautifully presented Teas as everything was so lovely & refined.

Some Hotels labeled as ‘whatever’ are not ‘that label’… this one has earned theirs & is worth every penny. And if you like Tennis, be sure to set up some time with Barkie, it’ll change your game forever!

Some Hotels labeled as ‘whatever’ are not ‘that label’… this one has earned theirs & is worth every penny. And if you like Tennis, be sure to set up some time with Barkie, it’ll add to your game like nothing has ever before!

Room Tip: I rather liked the Historical buildings which begat a more authentic experience yet the rooms were e...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TravellinCraig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was lucky enough to stay here this past weekend while visiting Cape Town on business, and, I would definitely return. The hotel grounds are beautiful, with a water feature that makes it feel all the more relaxing. The room I stayed was perfect. Huge bed, great shower, and enough room to swing a very big cat! The best feature, and one the hotel should be extremely proud of, is the warm welcome received from every member of staff I spoke to or simply walked by. I would say they met every request I had, but I didn't have to ask for anything as it was already provided. The ladies on reception have a wonderful sense of humor while remaining completely professional. I would love to return and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Cape Town.

Vught, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Unfortunately, don't expect it's a copy of The high service and quality of accomodation as in sister hotels of the chain (eg Iguassu, Rio), we we're disappointed. Time to update facilities and eye for detail of the management. The restaurant was nice and kind staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed at this marvelously colonial hotel at Cape Town whilst attending a trade show. The rooms were comfortably old fashioned but with all modern facilities. TV & Wifi excellent. Breakfast was excellent. Afternoon tea is one of the best in South Africa. The gardens are very relaxing and the location is convenient. and if you get tired of eating in the hotel, Kloof Street with its trendy cafes and restaurants beckons out the back. Staff helpful. Very little to fault, except that it is not cheap. Heads of state stay there!

Room Tip: Garden facing
Hungerford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have recently been attending a Trade show in Cape Town and was very lucky to have stayed at The Mount Nelson. I have stayed there on two previous occasions. On each stay I have always had THE most comfortable beds.. wow! I slept like a princess in my beautifully upgraded Deluxe Junior Suite 318. Thank yous o much for offering me such an attractive and comfortable suite.

The Suite was beautifully appointed and located in the maon building.

The reception staff were extremely helpful and I would particularly like to mention Stacey. I had two treatments in the very well appointed new Spa and highly recommend Thembi one of their therapists.

A swim in the pool before breakfast is a must!

Thank you all at the Mount Nelson team who made my stay so comfortable and memorable.. I shall be back!

Room Tip: Deluxe Junior Suite 318 was beautiful!
UK
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed on the last night of our honeymoon to Cape Town, wish we'd started here and stayed for the whoel two weeks. Service was exceptional. The building was stunning as we arrived the drive up through the columned entrance was impressive. Our room was upgraded and it was amazing! Separate lounge, dining table.
We had afternoon tea in the hotel too which was great.
The swimming pool was great too and so was the breakfast. What a fantastic end to our trip!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Woodstock, Oxfordshire
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This is the best hotel ever. It offers sophistication, magnificent facilities and a personal service where nothing is too much trouble. ‘Awesome' breakfasts, sumptuous afternoon teas, exquisite gardens and even a children's play room. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family