“A birthday treat in a glorious suite where everything is colour co-ordinated” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel

Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Ranked #10 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Kendal
“A birthday treat in a glorious suite where everything is colour co-ordinated”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have never been to Cape town in winter before,while I obviously cannot sit under my tree as it is too cold!I had my usual discussion about the rate with Sarah,who drives a hard but fair bargain.
As with all these discussions it is fun and serious,but we always come to a good agreement.The trip was divided into 3 distinct parts this time.The first week was spent in my normal room which is on the 4th floor with a magnificent view of the mountain.Then because of an exclusive conference I moved to the Pepper Club a great hotel but my heart will always be at the Nellie!!
The rest of the time I was in a wonderful suite to celebrate a big birthday.If you read the comment by Xavier,at the bottom of my last trip advisor you will all know how old I am.I am pleased though that I will always be younger than him!!!Someone suggested it was my own fault for divulging the information!
I was here this time for 2 reasons although on here I am not allowed to promote.I will say the St George's Cathedral concert was magnificent.To be able to give the children of Baphumelele 106 pairs of new shoes and to have them listen to 2 wonderful singers in their arts room was very humbling.
We must have done something right as Joey Michael has invited me to join his linked in page(I have only known him for 15 years!!
Back to the when I returned from my sojourn away,I found my self in room 309.This is a delightful suite where the bins and the curtains are colour co-ordinated.The settee is so comfortable that when you lie down on it.You fall asleep!
Where this hotel wins the heart is the friendliness of the staff.Let me start with housekeeping they unpack for me and put everything in separate drawers,which makes life really easy for me to find everything.The laundry is impeccable,and comes back well before 5pm!
The bed linen is sparkling,and of course the beds are comfortable.
Away from the room,reception is always friendly,Stacey,Busi,Verholda,and the irrepressible Patrick are always good humoured and very efficient..
Breakfast is a wonderful spread and they will make anything for you,whether it is warming croissants or making eggs.Margaret,Katie and Lizel are on hand to ensure everything runs smoothly.
For obvious reasons I had to change my masseuse(see the bit about the concert above!).It is very pleasing that I have found two who will fit the bill very well Kelly is tiny but as a black belt in karate is very strong and has you sleeping very quickly.Dominique has a very different method but the results are the same.A good masseuse is tested how well you sleep after it.This test is passed time after time.
I spent a fair amount in the beautiful spa conservatory as a place to unwind as it was too cold to sit outside.
The bar led by the great Benny,make sure the champagne glass is chilled and it is always a good place to start the evening.
I had a couple of meals in the restaurant.Pearl is full of fun and kept bringing excellent wine which as a good sommelier she knows in abundance.
Paul the driver made sure I was delivered where I needed to be.
Finally I must thank the concierge team for their usual efficiency.Liz,Angela,Byron,and the irrepressible Althea.
Jo-Anne though this time deserves a special mention for writing me a very accurate and humourous limerick for my birthday.It will take pride of place in my office-I felt very honoured that she went to such length to make my day even more special.
This is still the benchmark for how a 5* hotel should be run
Go and enjoy!
Kendal mint

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank KendalMint
LouisePheiffer, Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Kendal Mint,

Always a pleasure seeing you at the Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel. Hopefully we will see you more often with your newly discovered passion.

We wish you the best of success in your challenge.

Best regards
Louise Pheiffer (on behalf of Xavier Lablaude)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

The Mount Nelson is Cape Towns iconic luxury hotel and deservedly so.
It has been in operation for approximately 120 years and has 220 rooms including junior and luxury sites
The hotel is part of the Belmont group of worldwide luxury hotels.
The food at the Planet restaurant in the hotel is superb and their buffet breakfast well worth the price. Booking is essential.
Their 5 course tasting menu is definitely worth it and is more than ample.
The hotels High Tea is famous throughout the country and is a must for anyone visiting Cape Town.
However please remember to book.
There is a wonderful Spa and hydro on the hotel grounds.
They have the usual pools as well as tennis courts.
Worth a stay if somewhat pricey.

Room Tip: A room in the pool area is great.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Clive,

Thank you for your review of the Grand Lady. We are in fact 115 years young, embracing our legacy but at the same time we staying young at heart!

We do hope you welcome you back to the hotel when you visit Cape Town again!

sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We spent 3 nights at the Mount Nelson at the start of our holiday to South Africa. The "Pink Lady" has a real charm, and the service was excellent. We booked our trip with Trailfinders, and received a room upgrade on arrival- the room was very spacious, with a really comfortable bed and an enormous bathroom and overlooked Table Mountain. We visited in mid-May, which was going into the quiet season, but there were enough guests for the hotel to feel busy, but not so many that it felt crowded. Because it wasn't peak season we were able to use the courtesy car service whenever we wanted, and the drivers were polite, smart and very professional, as were all the staff. Everyone at reception knew our name, even if they hadn't been there when we arrived. Breakfasts were fantastic and in the evenings, we ate in the bar, the lounge and the restaurant - in each location, the food was very good, and the wine great quality and value. I particularly liked that when I was ordering just one glass of wine in the bar, I was invited to taste it first, and alternatives were on offer if I didn't like it. I think what really stood out was the individual character of the hotel- you didn't feel like you were staying in an anonymous hotel which was part of a big chain. We would certainly return to this hotel if we are in Cape Town again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LouisePheiffer, Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear alfieSussex,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review with us.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel again soon!

Best regards,
lagos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Beautiful pink vintage hotel, The rooms were biggggggg!!!!!!!!!
I loved the breakfast spread and the tea room(even though they let me play the piano)
I like the complimentary shuttle and i think the recptionist Busiwe was marvelous, actually the staff were very friendly. it was clean and i would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel and we are looking forward to welcome you back again soon to the 'old English Castle'!.

Warm regards,
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Iconic, classy, storied and stately, this is your place for a peaceful haven in a lovely setting. Ask for a copy of the history to hear the walls talk. Great location with complimentary lux car shuttle to Table Mountain entrance and V&A Waterfront, plus a helpful walking tour map to Kloof and Long Street restaurants and boutiques right outside the security gate.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Grand Dame of Cape Town, we are looking forward to welcome you back again soon.

Warm regards,
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Mount Nelson is on the outskirts of the city area but don't be put off by the location. It's within walking distance however the hotel offers free transfers to the waterfront, Table Mountain and the beach area (subject to availability of course, taxi's are very reasonable and reliable.
The rooms are spacious and well appointed and in our case overlooked the magnificent gardens of the hotel. The sculptures in the gardens are world class and well worth the time to explore.
Cannot fault any of the staff, very professional, friendly and always ready to help with any queries.
Made our first stay in the Cape area very happy and pleasant experience

Room Tip: A view of the gardens is well worth seeking
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of the hotel, and for choosing to spend your first holiday in Cape Town with us.

Our location is indeed perfect to explore Cape Town, our best beaches and one of the Natural Wonders of the World, Table Mountain; and walking distance from the cultural hub of Cape Town.

We do hope you welcome you back again soon,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Have been here many, many times (unfortunately not for a few years though, so the date I have given is the earliest possible option I have) but am only just getting round to reviewing. It's very simple:

Lovely staff (everyone - receptionists, maids, waiters/waitresses, security etc)
Really nice afternoon tea
Amazing breakfast! One of the best places for breakfast buffets (and a la carte) I've been to
Really nice restaurants
Great pool
Nice area of Cape Town
Very comfortable and well-facilitated rooms

Recommend to anyone going to Cape Town!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel, and we do hope to welcome you back again soon.