“Superb stay”

Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Superb stay”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Highest levels of luxury and service. I checked in at night. Complimentary room upgrade. The next morning, the (new) staff called me by my name. Wonderful place. Breakfast buffet is an embarrassment of riches.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Terroir777
LouisePheiffer, Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review with us. We hope to welcome you back to Cape Town again soon.

Warm regards,
Louise Pheiffer (on behalf of our General Manager, Xavier Lablaude)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Nairobi
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have visited the Mount Nelson for its superb and well renowned high tea but this was the first time I have had a chance to stay there. It was a great experience. I have to say they have maintained an old building and hotel very well. The rooms have all the mod cons fitted but still maintains the feel of old world luxury. The grounds and other facilities are maintained equally well.

The service is very attentive and polite as befitting a hotel of Mount Nelson standards. The only advice I would give you is that if there is anything wrong with the room, pick up the phone and inform Housekeeping; the room cleaning staff are not reliable to sort out any problems.

I highly recommend a stay at Mount Nelson Hotel for an experience of a lifetime.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Rooms facing the pool are very good.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear SurajShah,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for recommending the hotel.

The Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel is over 115 year old, and we strive to keep this Grand Dame in good shape for many generations still to come.

We hope that she will provide guests with experiences of many more lifetimes...!

Warm regards
California
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had a wonderful visit to the Mount Nelson. The rooms were comfortable and the service was excellent. Afternoon tea was a highlight for our family. The concierge desk did a great job booking reservations and we enjoyed walking to restaurants and shops.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear CaliforniaAlex,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel and we do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Well I have stayed at the Mount nelson a couple of times,and partied with Colin Farrell and Selma Hayak there in the cabanas and she is just that..."Grande". The service is unquestionably the best in Cape Town,the decor,facilities,food ...the High Tea....well its all - To Die For!!
Highly recommended as home away from home.
Well done Ma'am.....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review of the hotel.

This Grand Dame has seen many celebrity figures walk through her doors, and hosted many a party (but a lady never tells....).

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stays with us, and we do hope to welcome you back again soon, and who knows who you might party with this time...!

Warm regards,
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was lucky to have experienced the fantastic atmosphere of this hotel.
The architecture, the comfort, the excellent service, all together contribute to make of this hotel an unique experience.
You feel that you have got back more than one hundred years, you have a sculpture of Gandhi just in front of the main entrance.
On the gardens you have more amazing sculptures along the beautifully treated plants.
It is The Place to stay if you visit Cape Town.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NoloCordeiro
LouisePheiffer, Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear NoloCordeiro,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel. Our sculpture exhibitions are in conjunction with Everard Read, one of Cape Towns best galleries. Every year the gallery displays a new selection of sculptures, they do add another dimension to our gardens. These sculptures are also for sale to our guests.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon, and you if you wish, you can follow us on our social media pages to find any updates on the artworks on display at the hotel.

Cape Town
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had our Wedding reception at the Mount Nelson 5 years ago, and visit the Planet Restaurant every year on our Anniversary. This year, we decided to really celebrate in style and we booked the Epicure overnight package. What a treat! Every member of staff was aware of our celebration and greeted us by name. We were welcomed with a bottle of bubbly and received an upgrade to a Junior Suite. There were roses on the bed, a bath was drawn and strawberries and chocolates added to the romance. Really an Anniversary not to be forgotten.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear RocheB,

Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary, and thank you for celebrating it with us every year!

We look forward to spoiling you again next year.

Best regards,
Kendal
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have never been to Cape town in winter before,while I obviously cannot sit under my tree as it is too cold!I had my usual discussion about the rate with Sarah,who drives a hard but fair bargain.
As with all these discussions it is fun and serious,but we always come to a good agreement.The trip was divided into 3 distinct parts this time.The first week was spent in my normal room which is on the 4th floor with a magnificent view of the mountain.Then because of an exclusive conference I moved to the Pepper Club a great hotel but my heart will always be at the Nellie!!
The rest of the time I was in a wonderful suite to celebrate a big birthday.If you read the comment by Xavier,at the bottom of my last trip advisor you will all know how old I am.I am pleased though that I will always be younger than him!!!Someone suggested it was my own fault for divulging the information!
I was here this time for 2 reasons although on here I am not allowed to promote.I will say the St George's Cathedral concert was magnificent.To be able to give the children of Baphumelele 106 pairs of new shoes and to have them listen to 2 wonderful singers in their arts room was very humbling.
We must have done something right as Joey Michael has invited me to join his linked in page(I have only known him for 15 years!!
Back to the when I returned from my sojourn away,I found my self in room 309.This is a delightful suite where the bins and the curtains are colour co-ordinated.The settee is so comfortable that when you lie down on it.You fall asleep!
Where this hotel wins the heart is the friendliness of the staff.Let me start with housekeeping they unpack for me and put everything in separate drawers,which makes life really easy for me to find everything.The laundry is impeccable,and comes back well before 5pm!
The bed linen is sparkling,and of course the beds are comfortable.
Away from the room,reception is always friendly,Stacey,Busi,Verholda,and the irrepressible Patrick are always good humoured and very efficient..
Breakfast is a wonderful spread and they will make anything for you,whether it is warming croissants or making eggs.Margaret,Katie and Lizel are on hand to ensure everything runs smoothly.
For obvious reasons I had to change my masseuse(see the bit about the concert above!).It is very pleasing that I have found two who will fit the bill very well Kelly is tiny but as a black belt in karate is very strong and has you sleeping very quickly.Dominique has a very different method but the results are the same.A good masseuse is tested how well you sleep after it.This test is passed time after time.
I spent a fair amount in the beautiful spa conservatory as a place to unwind as it was too cold to sit outside.
The bar led by the great Benny,make sure the champagne glass is chilled and it is always a good place to start the evening.
I had a couple of meals in the restaurant.Pearl is full of fun and kept bringing excellent wine which as a good sommelier she knows in abundance.
Paul the driver made sure I was delivered where I needed to be.
Finally I must thank the concierge team for their usual efficiency.Liz,Angela,Byron,and the irrepressible Althea.
Jo-Anne though this time deserves a special mention for writing me a very accurate and humourous limerick for my birthday.It will take pride of place in my office-I felt very honoured that she went to such length to make my day even more special.
This is still the benchmark for how a 5* hotel should be run
Go and enjoy!
Kendal mint

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank KendalMint
Dear Kendal Mint,

Always a pleasure seeing you at the Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel. Hopefully we will see you more often with your newly discovered passion.

We wish you the best of success in your challenge.

Best regards
Louise Pheiffer (on behalf of Xavier Lablaude)