Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Hilton Cape Town City Centre(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$160
US$147
Hilton
  • Pool
The Commodore(Cape Town Central)
US$229
US$169
Agoda.com
Taj Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
US$163
US$150
Hotels.com
Pepperclub Hotel & Spa(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$108
  • Breakfast included
Victoria & Alfred Hotel(Cape Town Central)
US$244
US$230
Hotels.com
Townhouse Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$162
US$153
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$113
  • Pool
Blackheath Lodge(Cape Town Central)
US$220
US$165
Agoda.com
One&Only Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
US$849
US$753
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
The Table Bay Hotel(Cape Town Central)
US$380
US$350
Orbitz.com
1,727 results
All reviewsplanet restauranthigh teaoasis restaurantpink ladyfamous afternoon teachef's tabletennis courtscolonial hotelgrand damegrand old ladytable mountainmain buildingjunior suitecompany gardensoystersconcierge deskwonderful hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 December 2008

We recently stayed at the MNH and it is an amazing old colonial hotel, quirky and quaint. But conpared to Raffles or a modern 5 star hotel it doesn't compare well; broken lights outside, peeling paintwork, bits and bobs just need some care and attention. the service was excellent throughout, but i cant help feeling i could have stayed at a cheaper nearby hotel and just popped in for a cocktail...

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2008

We just checked out yesterday (its now early Dec 2008) and I recommend the Mount Nelson 110% - our stay was more perfect than I could have hoped and I enjoyed our stay more than any other hotel I have stayed at (sorry to sound gushing ;-) I booked direct with the hotel (by phone) and explained I was my honeymoon.

We arrived on the 9 am flight into Cape Town, we were met by a very efficient driver, whisked to the hotel, to be told at reception we had been upgraded to a suite. A very professional and kind lady on reception called Rene showed us our room with the minimum of fuss andd a waiting bottle of complimentary champagne, and then we went to their spa for a fabulous massage, and a wonderful lunch by the pool. Dinner was lovely - again maximum quality and minimum fuss and posturing (which I find so annoying at top end restaurants). Returning to our room we found our bed strewn with rose petals, and candles and petals floating in the bath.

Bottom line is this is the kind of hotel I like, We were made to feel genuinely welcome, all of the staff, everyone, were faultless in their attention without fussing or gushing and all were genuine. I would find it hard to believe you could have anything but a totally happy and satisfying stay at the Nelson. Thank you again to Rene if you ever read this!! Tim

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank timreeve
Reviewed 3 December 2008

Certainly the most magical hotel in Cape Town and probably my favourite hotel in the world. Set in fantastic gardens a true oasis in city. The staff were fantastic. The food superb. I have never felt so pampered.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2008

Our stay at the Mount Nelson was a great experience. I had booked two deluxe rooms through Expedia that were very reasonably priced compared with other 5-star hotels in the area. When we arrived, we were told our rooms were not available and we were upgraded to junior suites. Although I would have preferred being in the main building, it was difficult not to like the suite. There was a king bed, sitting area, fireplace, walk-in closet and a huge bathroom. See attached photos.

The hotel is really charming and centrally located to most of the area attractions. And for those places a bit far away, like the V&A waterfont, the hotel provided a courtesy shuttle. We spent one afternoon walking from the hotel through the park, up to the Castle of Good Hope, and along the streets in the city bowl. Cape Town is a beautiful city.

The Mount Nelson is set in a beautifully landscaped gardens. It's hard to believe the hotel is located in the middle of the city. Although it was cool during our stay, the pool looked very relaxing. There is also a new spa that was just added to the hotel. Although I didn't try any of the services, the facilities looked top notch.

As for restaurants, we tried the upscale Cape Colony restaurant for dinner and had a wonderful experience. I would definitely recommend it. We also had breakfast included in our rate which was served in the Oasis restaurant. Although the dining room decor was pretty basic compared with the rest of the hotel, the breakfast buffet was really good. For an afternoon treat, don't miss traditional high tea in the lobby lounge. We opted for tea with a side order of scones instead of the eleborate food spread. This was the perfect way to experience high tea without over eating.

For a great restaurant outside of the hotel, don't miss the Africa Cafe in the city center. It has great african food and service.

To see the local area attractions, we hired a private guide/driver through a company called Hylton Ross. We had three people in our group and a private tour wasn't much more than a group tour but with the flexibility see what we wanted and spend as little or as much time as we desired. We spent one day visiting nearby townships in the morning and then traveled to the Winelands for lunch and an afternoon tour. The township visit was facinating and gave us a glimpse into South African culture. The wineland vist was also a perfect sidetrip. The surrounding towns of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek are beautiful and the mountainous wine country is stunning.

On another day we took a tour to the Cape of Good Hope and Cape point stopping at Boulder's beach to see the penguins and also visited Hout's Bay where we boarded a boat for a short trip to seal island. We finished the day with a trip to Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. It was a great day trip. I would recommend everything.

For trips on our own, we also visited Table Mountain (a must see), Victoria and Alfred Waterfront ( a pleasant place to eat and shop), and Robben Island (make sure to book in advance as this is very popular).

The Mount Nelson is a great deal for those looking for a 5-star experience. When compared with the higher priced Cape Grace and Table Bay hotel at the waterfront, I think we made the perfect choice with the Mount Nelson. While the location at the waterfront is desirable, we discovered that there was much more to see beyond the waterfront complex and we felt the Mount Nelson had much more to offer.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank JDMTraveler
Reviewed 16 November 2008

I have been coming to the Mt. Nelson for years, and it is still my oasis in Cape Town. While standards may have gone down a bit, there is one thing for sure: the Nelson can provide you with something that few, if any, hotels in Cape Town can -- an environment.

The grounds are an oasis of relaxation and serenity that are perfect for a weary traveller (provided that you have the funds) who wishes to recuperate from a lengthy flight and jet lag. The breakfasts, though not as lavish in the past, are still very nice, with a range of fruits, meats, cereals, drinks and a hot kitchen there for your ready made egg dishes.

The Nelson has upgraded their spa, now called Librisa, into a full service establishment, compared to the little two room cottage that they worked with for years. Asiya is a fabulous masseuse, if you can have your pick. Don't be fooled by her appearance. She may be slight, but she is strong, unlike the many noodle armed ladies I have had there in the past.

I have stayed at the Commodore (mediocre), Cape Grace (decent if you like the harbor scene, and very good food), La Vendome (not recommended) and others... none can hold a candle to the elegance and grace of the Nelson.

Too bad that they do not use the progressive employment practices that should be in place in a new, democratic South Africa. The two outstanding servers in the restaurant (Katie and Margaret), both of whom have been there for more than twenty years, should be in management positions, not still waiting tables. They honorably and humbly continue to go about their duties with excellence and without complaint, but this is not right. Please write a letter to this effect if you stay there. As consumers, we can all advocate for the kind of staff advancement that befits The Rainbow Nation.

• Stayed: November 2008