“Memorable visit at Mount Nelson.”

Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Ranked #11 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Check-in: Flawless. It was a busy Friday, dozens of people around the desk, and I was treated like I was the only customer they had. I was given a tour of the hotel’s (extensive) facilities, including a detailed tour of my room.

Accommodations: Two nights in a “basic” room. This was in the newer section of the hotel, and I must say it led me to wonder what the rooms were above my category. My “basic” room was the size of a suite with a balcony and a view of Table Mountain. Furnishings were classic, bathroom was huge.

Dining: I ate several times in the hotel. The afternoon tea was quite nice, labeled as “The World’s Best,” an impossible title to live up to. A buffet-style, casual affair, those preferring a more discreet, formal style may be disappointed. Dinner at Cape Colony restaurant and the breakfast buffet at Oasis restaurant were both above average.

Location: Maybe the best part of the experience. You are hidden in several acres of landscaped gardens but it’s a quick stroll to Government Avenue and all it has to offer. The V&A Waterfront is a bit further.

Service: Impeccable, as I would expect from a hotel of this caliber. The staff is courteous and gracious without being intrusive. Housekeeping, luggage delivery, and room service were perfect. I was out by the garden one morning reading a book on Robert Sobukwe and was served breakfast and tea about two minutes after I sat down. Nice.

Cost: High.

Summary: If I had to do things over again, I would have stayed longer at this hotel to get more of a “feel” of the property and ambience. I enjoyed my time here and would absolutely stay again if I was in town.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank midway42
Write a ReviewReviews (1,646)

Reviewed 15 March 2009

We arrived around 9am and our executuve suite was not ready, so they put us in a day room to freshen up. By midday I thought they had forgotten about us, so went down to reception to enquire. We were told our room wasready ( I wonder when they were going to tell is?!) and were shown to our suite. We were certainly taken aback as we made our way to a seperate area just yards from the hotel with its own front gardens and little fountain.

Our room was huge! We had a spacious sitting area of sofa and 2 chairs, mini bar and TV with front courtyard overlooking the garden with dividers for privacy. Our bed area again was large with a huge comfy bed and TV at the end of the bed (neither LCD). We had an annex of this room for our wardrobe and case space, which led onto the bathroom. Again spacious, it had 2 sinks, bath and double shower with seperate WC with Occitaine (my wife says these are good!) toiletries.

We ate in the restaurant one evening which was extremely reasonably priced, with a fixed price depending on how many courses you ate - for Beef Wellington (2 pieces of delicious steak per person) for equivalent of £12/ $17! All food was high qulaity as was the service and wine, all at very good prices. We had cocktails in the chapagne bar area, which was quite quiet except for one night when a wedding was on. Again, good prices.

Breakfast was good with champagne as part of the package (we only realised on the last morning!) which overlooked the larger pool area in the middle of well kept green gardens with colourful borders. The second pool was smaller, for alduts only) was near our room and we only spent one oafternoon there, but it was quiet and well maintained. We had the tea which for value was exceptional. It was in the open and I saw flies hover the uncovered offerings. Tea itself was lovely and strong as were the sandwiches and pastries/scones, though while some on here have said it was one of the finest they had ever tasted, I would disagree - whilst it was very, very good, I have had better (Burj in Dubai and Grand Floridian in Disney).

The hotel was quite colonial and a bit 'old fashioned' but not out of place. Service was fantastic, our room exceeded expectations although the view of Table Mountain was obscured by nearby houses/flats. All in all, a great experience for our first time to Cape Town - we would certainly go back.

2  Thank Ian441672
Reviewed 2 March 2009

I have never stayed at The Mount Nelson - but it is ledgendary so at a loss as to where to stay on my first visit to Cape Town in 20 years (and my wife's first) I decided to take the safe option and book. I expected a rather stuffy, tired, olde world place that "worked". What a surprise: it was far from stuffy - in fact extremely friendly - with superb service, and a most relaxing and enjoyable atmosphere. By the time we left (and we kept on extending our stay) we felt totally at home and will return. An unreserved reccomendation !

Reviewed 25 February 2009

From the moment you arrive you are made to feel special. Reception staff take you on a tour of the hotel. The room we had was huge with 2 balconies. They reserve you your own place by the pool which has stunning views of Table Mountain. The ambience is elegant, the lounges sumptuous and the staff attentive and helpful. We particularly enjoyed our conversation with the lounge's tea expert.

1  Thank musselman
Reviewed 2 February 2009

We just returned from a fabulous honeymoon at the Mount Nelson. We had booked a junior suite, which was incredible, but were upgraded to a suite which pretty much defined the word luxury, being simultaneously spacious and elegant. Its views of Table Mountain were unforgettable.

The hotel's staff , led by the Willem van der Merwe, were uniformly non intrusive yet always there. All requests were handled quickly and professionally. Transportation provided by the hotel's limousines was a great convenience and the hotel's pool and garden are a true oasis in the city, they need to be experienced to be fully appreciated. Breakfast was first rate and served overlooking the garden. We enjoyed dinner in the Cape Colony restaurant which is elegant, without being stuffy, and the food and service of the highest quality and relatively inexpensive by American standards. As for afternoon tea, simply stated it is a wonderful experience, far exceeding any I had been to and that includes the Ritz in London.

In conclusion, the Mount Nelson is one of those few institutions that served to define what a luxury hotel was at the beginning of the last century and they are continuing to do so today. I cannot conceive of a finer place to stay in Capetown or elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DCviews
Reviewed 29 December 2008

We recently stayed at the MNH and it is an amazing old colonial hotel, quirky and quaint. But conpared to Raffles or a modern 5 star hotel it doesn't compare well; broken lights outside, peeling paintwork, bits and bobs just need some care and attention. the service was excellent throughout, but i cant help feeling i could have stayed at a cheaper nearby hotel and just popped in for a cocktail...

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 7 December 2008

We just checked out yesterday (its now early Dec 2008) and I recommend the Mount Nelson 110% - our stay was more perfect than I could have hoped and I enjoyed our stay more than any other hotel I have stayed at (sorry to sound gushing ;-) I booked direct with the hotel (by phone) and explained I was my honeymoon.

We arrived on the 9 am flight into Cape Town, we were met by a very efficient driver, whisked to the hotel, to be told at reception we had been upgraded to a suite. A very professional and kind lady on reception called Rene showed us our room with the minimum of fuss andd a waiting bottle of complimentary champagne, and then we went to their spa for a fabulous massage, and a wonderful lunch by the pool. Dinner was lovely - again maximum quality and minimum fuss and posturing (which I find so annoying at top end restaurants). Returning to our room we found our bed strewn with rose petals, and candles and petals floating in the bath.

Bottom line is this is the kind of hotel I like, We were made to feel genuinely welcome, all of the staff, everyone, were faultless in their attention without fussing or gushing and all were genuine. I would find it hard to believe you could have anything but a totally happy and satisfying stay at the Nelson. Thank you again to Rene if you ever read this!! Tim

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank timreeve