“Less than expected...”

Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Ranked #11 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 9 May 2010

We did not stay at the Mount Nelson, opting instead for the Cape Grace (see my review). But we spent an afternoon at the 'Nellie', as I'd always imagined myself staying there if I ever made it to Capetown. I even took a Polo blazer to Africa for the sole purpose of wearing it to tea at this venerable hotel. I needn't have bothered. Such a lovely place - such a scruffy lot of guests.

Graciously given a tour of the hotel by a sales staff member, I was impressed by everything I saw - except for the people staying there. I know, it's 2010 and people just don't DRESS anymore. But come on; cut-offs and old t-shirts and dirty sneakers at a formal tea? The hotel's stated dress code is 'Informal' - not 'Grubby'. In my navy blazer and pressed khakis I probably looked to those digging-in to their overloaded plates of finger sandwiches and pastries like a relic from the Raj. All that was missing was my pith helmet.

Obviously the 'Nellie' is popular with locals, who with kids in tow troop through the public rooms as if they own the place. If you're comfortable in that environment I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay. The hotel and it's extensive, manicured grounds are beautiful and the staff we interacted with couldn't have been kinder. But I'm glad we were at the Cape Grace (where my blazer and khaki's did not make me look like a freak, thank you very much!)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,645)

Reviewed 7 May 2010

We stayed at the Mount Nelson for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary. The staff could not have been more friendly or attentive. The Public rooms are stylishly decorated as are the bedrooms/suites. We were lucky enough to have a suite overlooking Table Mountain...Chandeliers,Venetian mirrors,understated elegance, we couldn't have wished for a nicer room. The gardens are beautifully maintained and the swimming pool heated. As we indulged in Afternnoon Tea, an early dinner was out of the question,so we had room service the first night. The quality and presentation was excellent. We would not hesitate in recommending this wonderful establishment to everyone. There are many good hotels in Capetown but none compare with the "Nellie"

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2010

We visited the Mount Nelson for afternoon tea on a sunny afternoon in March 2010. With delicious food and a beautiful terrace and gardens, I cannot recommend this hotel enough. We did not stay here, but can only imagine from what we saw that it would be an incredible experience to do so. We had a fantastic waitor called Sidney who was attentive, informative and good fun. If you're in Cape Town, make sure you fit in a visit to the Mount Nelson for morning or afternoon tea, you definitely will not be dissapointed.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2010

As part of our tour of South Africa we stayed at the Mount Nelson in Cape Town, or the Pink Lady" as the locals call it. Without doubt if you are looking for 5* old fashioned service, and high quality accomodation, then this is the hotel to stay at. In addition the gardens and the pool are also great.

When we go back to Cape Town, which I am sure we will, we hope to stay there again.

Reviewed 24 March 2010

The hotel offered fantastic service. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone that would like to visit.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Stayed here in 2009 and could not wait to go back. We adore this hotel and no words will ever be able to describe the experience that is the Mount Nelson Hotel. Apart from the beauty of this lovely old colonial hotel, the amazing food, the wonderful facilities, the stunning views, the one thing that sets this hotel apart from other luxury hotels is it's staff. They are the heart and soul of this beautiful hotel that keeps it beating so strongly. The attention to detail is second to none. We are looking forward to our next stay.....PS thank you so much for my birthday champagne :)

Reviewed 13 March 2010

We arrived at the hotel a little early for check in but quickly shown to our room after a cup of tea on the terrace. When I explained that although the suite we had been allocated was fabulous, (private, spacious, double doors onto own seating area, large bathroom) I would rather be in the main hotel, the staff immediately and with no hesitation showed us another room in the main hotel - slightly less modern but with a wonderful old colonial style. My wife threw threw open the old French doors and windows and listened to the tinkling fountain and birds. Downstairs, the Planet Bar is excellent serving great frozen margheritas and martinis - the bar remembered my name after one night. I particularly enjoyed the fact that later in the evening after dinner, there is an "outside" room where one is at liberty to smoke cigars. It is actually a very comfortable room with very large windows and french doors that can be opened wide. Breakfast is taken on a wide terrace overlooking the rather beautiful gardens and swimming pool. The pool was warm enough to stay in for a proper soaking which is how we like it - no sudden sharp intakes of breath. The car valet staff, again, knew my name after one day - I know I have mentioned this before and perhaps it sounds trivial, but it does make one feel good in a world of huge hotels filled with impersonal staff. The decor of the hotel is grand old colonial with large bunches of delicious blousy garden flowers and comfortable chairs. It is very close to the city bowl and the waterfront and it is also close to the main routes into and out of Cape Town. The Gardens are magnificent. All in all, this was just the retreat that my wife and I needed - it is not a super trendy youngsters hang out but if you are looking for a classy, shabby chic, old fashioned hotel with lots of charm and fantastic service, then this is it.

1  Thank pluggingon