“A Five Star stay”

The Table Bay Hotel
Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 17 December 2011

If you want a truly five star hotel in a great safe location on the Waterfront, you can't do better than Table Bay. From the Front Desk staff to the concierges, to the restaurant staff, they were so helpful and welcoming. And to top it all off they serve the largest Buffet Breakfast I have ever seen!

Would highly recommend this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Lynehol
Write a ReviewReviews (2,353)

Reviewed 11 December 2011

I stayed here just for a night and enjoyed it. The lobby area is your typical grand one that makes you feel privileged but still anonymous. Staff were quick and helpful, with a vip checkin in the room, that saved some time at the front desk. I had a room on one of the top floor with north views. Although no harbour and mountainview, it was still spectacular. Nice and large enough bathroom, no cat swinging possible but good. Good quality toiletries, decent water pressure. The room itself was standard 5 star, nothing to brag about but comfortable. The bed was decent and the duvet, pillows and linen were soft and fresh. The one thing i found strange was that i could clearly hear the elevators, even though there must have been 4 or 5 rooms between my room and the elevators. Extremely annoying and it only stopped around midnight, just to resume early in the morning. I think the staff rang on the door 3 times to ask about different things like minibar, turning the bed and so on. Hang the privacy sign if you dont want to be bothered! I liked the fact that you have direct access into the shopping centre, makes this a great place if shopping is your intention. Lots of good shops, restaurants and cinemas. The breakfast buffet is one of the better hotel choices in town in my opinion and you also have a mini buffet choice in the lobby area. This hotel is not cheap and what they have going here is the location and the solid generous international 5 star hotel feel, even if its a local brand. Recommended.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I got to stay here for a week on business and I really loved this hotel! It has a well-deserved reputation for top-rate service, excellent food and drinks in its restaurants, and a location that is very hard to beat. The hotel itself, the central lounge where high tea was served, and the rooms were all beautiful!

My room didn't have the best view, since I was on the first floor and close to the ships docked at the harbor. But the sea opened out of two sides of the room, and I could see the Waterfront and Table Mountain. The staff really went out of their way to provide good service during my stay, setting a very high standard. I could call the duty manager and would get an immediate response, and most of the time, immediate service. They didn't take action a couple of times and had to be reminded.

I loved the welcoming feel of this hotel. The whole staff was quick to greet me, and soon many of them could greet me by name. I felt that there was a lot of first rate training of the staff. The Atlantic Grill was excellent as well. The dinner crew was outstanding at this restaurant--nice conversation, attentive to detailsOthers have noted the amazing breakfast spread; I also really enjoyed eating here for breakfast and was very happy I had a package that included breakfast. I really ate way too much at the buffet, but it was so tempting! I only had small lapses in service and one time, like another reviewer, I could easily overhear one waitron trying to arrange her work schedule with her supervisor--I have no idea why they could not have had that conversation in a work room, and why the rest of us had to listen to it! But this was a rare lapse in top notch service at this hotel.
Housekeeping came frequently and kept the room well-stocked and full of extra goodies.

Sitting in the lounge after a meeting, it was great to have someone pull up to the piano and start playing a couple of lovely songs. Only later did I discover that this was a patron and not a hotel employee! One of those magical little moments at The Table Bay.

My most disappointing moment came when I realized I had left an expensive pen either in my room or in the lounge, and it was gone forever. But I never had other instances of things taken from the room, so I don't want to single out the hotel staff for any wrongdoing.

The Table Bay is pricey but I think you really do get what you pay for here. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 8 December 2011

This hotel is fabulous - the location is perfect right on the water front, with views on either side of the hotel taking in either the bay and Robben Island, or Table Mountain behind. The lobby is spacious and grand, the breakfast buffet simply incredible and the bar great for chilling out. the rooms are large and luxurious with extremely comfortable beds. The service is second to none. Simply cannot fault this hotel. Possibley the only tiny downside is a relatively small gym with treadmills that need oiling - but really not an issue!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Superb place to stay in. Mall connected to the hotel.staff is extremely friendly. Food Is awesome. The view from the rooms is great! I loved my stay here and would definitly want to go back there! Lovely place :)

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank 1995manutd
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Probably my 10th visit to the Table Bay for after-noon tea but my first trip-advisor review.

Our last visit laid an egg on us and was'nt so great in terms of service.

But this visit was fantastic just what we felt like on a windy day in the Cape.

My wife and I ordered toasted cheese sandwiches. They where excellent and came with skinny fries and a small salad.

The selection of cakes is also brilliant. We finished off with a small plate of four cakes.

Definately a good destination for after-noon-tea in Cape Town

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed here on business/leisure for two nights. We had a large, spacious room with a balcony overlooking the harbour and mountain. Everything was very well appointed and beats hands down anything inhave experienced in the USA or Europe excepting for 5 star suite hotels which cost way more. The decor in the main lobbies is grand, harkening back to a previous era whilst the rooms are modern and spacious.

You cannot beat the location and the breakfasts are to die for. The variety is expansive and the setting relaxed. Don't rush the occasion if possible.

At every point staff went out of their way to be friendly, helpful and professional. This was valid from floor service staff through to the porters and the management.

Situated right on the V&A Waterfront, there is immediate access to world class dining, shopping, entertainment and everything else the mother city has to offer. Sure there are probably other better value offers in Cape Town, but if you are travelling on Dollars or Euros, splash out. You won't get anything similar back home at the price, and you will leave rested and with a contented smile.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room facing the mountain if one is available.