Stayed 3 nights at Ashanti during the World Cup 2010 with my partner. Even booking 6 month ahead of time all prices were highly inflated and in the end this hostel was about the price of an average hotel and fit in our budget. If we had paid the standard backpacker rate for the room I think we would have more positive things to say but this review is written in mind that we paid over 100AUD for a shoebox with a bed.
The staff at reception were all friendly enough but not very efficient or helpful. The key to the 'secure luggage room' was sitting on the reception desk unwatched during the day the whole time we were there. The room was not large- just big enough for a double bed and a sink. It fronted onto the pool and bar area which was loud with people and music all nights we stayed (again- noise is expected in a hostel during the world cup, but not appreciated for the amount we paid. Would be nice if the social area didn't front onto rooms). The kitchen and bathrooms weren't clean, but that happens in hostels. The hot water in the showers was variable by the time of day. Security was good- the building was surrounded by barbed wire and big fences and had a security guard out the front. Our room had an electric safe which was secure. Amazing view of Table Mountain from the bar.
The travel desk was very helpful and organised a really good day trip to Cape Point for us.
All in all I've stayed in much nicer backpackers and much worse ones. I expect there are nicer backpackers in Cape Town for similar prices to Ashanti's normal (not World Cup) prices though if you are willing to make the effort to look.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our Victorian mansion boasts clean, comfortable rooms and handy innovations like individual reading lights, personal safes and international plug points. Our sparkling pool, landscaped gardens, spacious balconies and palm-fringed sundecks are great for chilling out - while our legendary Kumasi Bar is the place to party! We serve delicious meals in our bar and also have a well-equipped kitchen for self-catering. We offer all accommodation options, including private, en-suite rooms in our guesthouse around the corner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, HostelWorld, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HRS so you can book your Ashanti Lodge Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ashanti Lodge Gardens Hotel Cape Town Central
- Ashanti Lodge Gardens Cape Town, South Africa