Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge
Ranked #59 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Abidjan
“So so right!!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I have been here before and I cam back again. Located right at V&A Waterfront, with great dinning and great sleep quality. This is one hotel that I will always feel comfortable in. The service is great and infrastructure well maintained. I really really loved the "earTHerapy Africa" product brand. I could come back just for that!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a waterfront view if you can.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
PHBWLCPT, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear NnennaWestAfrica,

Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review on Trip Advisor. Your praise in particular about our STAFF is most appreciated. We will be sure to pass your encouraging words on to them.
How wonderful that you enjoyed our "earTHerapy Africa" products!
We look forward to welcoming you back ‘home’ again soon.

Colin Naiker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 August 2014

With a day riddled with meetings all over the Peninsula. I had a meeting at the Protea Hotel, Breakwater Lodge at the Waterfront where (fortunately) the meeting turned into lunch, and we shared a mezze platter. The weather was clear, so we sat outside on the veranda. Beautiful view of the mountain and the V&A Waterfront. The only pity is that there are huge constructions underway currently at the waterfront, so it was quite noisy.

FOOD - I am a huge fan of mezze platters. This one was delicious and quite reasonable for two people at R125. The platter had a variety of cold meats - salami, spicy sausage, pastrami; cheeses - blue an Brie; olives, pickles, rye bread, olive oil and boiled eggs (crusted with paprika, which wasn't quite my cup of tea, but interesting nonetheless). Everything else was very tasty. My only problem with a platter is that I generally end up eating waaay too much!

DRINKS - had a white Grapetiser.

SERVICE - a bit slow and when I was ready to go there was no one in sight; I just think they forgot about me.

VALUE FOR MONEY - fortunately I have a Prokard, so got 33% discount which was great. Value in general not bad.

RECOMMENDABLE - yes, quiet a nice gem of a place in a bustling Warerfront. 7/10

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
PHBWLCPT, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Regine L,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor about your experience at Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge.

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our mezze platter; we pride ourselves in our quality of fresh food. It is always such a pleasure to hear how our GUESTS enjoy the Hotel and Restaurant.

We hope to welcome you and your friends back soon.

Kind Reagrds,

Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I chose to stay in this hotel for the most obvious reason; LOCATION and price. Simply the cheapest (star rated) in V&A Waterfront.
This Hotel is located bang in the entrance of V&A Waterfront, opposite to the Twin Oceans Aquarium. The building is a historic piece and is part of Breakwater university campus.
I was ready to expect a few let downs as I drove in due to the "cheapest" tag.
But I have to say; this Hotel excels in class!
Very safe, guarded parking (uncovered) to start with.
Check in was a smooth experience with a very warm welcome from the staff. As the hotel is right in the middle of a functioning university campus, it needs some guidance to get around the various areas of the hotel and the very helping staff made sure that I reached my room without getting lost and also helped with everything a person needs while checking in. Kudos!
Room was amazingly well kept. Had the exact right temperature for the winter. Beautiful lighting, wide and huge windows perfectly curtained and the charm of a historic building, all gave me an everlasting note etched deep in my mind.
Bed was a comfortable one with perfect choice and mixture of white linen, pillows and soft blankets. Slept like a baby!
Beautifully designed bath and shower area added the luxure to the perfect levels on this price.
There were also a lot of free food/drinks/discount vouchers which I could use in many restaurants and tourist attractions in Capetown.

Overall, this hotel is a perfect choice for a family/business stay in V&A Waterfront.

Note: I love this hotel for it's location, beautiful rooms, historic building, amazing service and the best price!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Zackokeepmoving
PHBWLCPT, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Zackokeepmoving,

WOW! Thank you very much for the lovely, positive comments on TripAdvisor, and I would like to personally THANK YOU for taking the time to post your lovely comments.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure we know what our GUESTS experience regarding our services and facilities offered, to be able to not only meet, but exceed your expectations every time you stay with us.

Your review captures the authentic, warm and attentive service culture that we strive to offer our GUESTS. Our entire TEAM goes out of their way to create a helpful and friendly environment, and it is heart-warming to read such amazing comments. I will be sure to congratulate everyone on their efforts.

Looking forward to welcome you back HOME in the near future!

Kind Regards,

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed at Breakwater Lodge for three nights during a business trip. Staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel is at a great location, about 10 minutes (probably less) to the waterfront. Where there are more dining places and mall for shopping. The mall closes at 9pm, for whoever intends to shop after days work is convenient. Since I was there for work, didn't spend much time in the bedroom. The room was clean, neat and spacious. This was a former prison that has been modified into hosting the hotel and the business school, it felt different from normal hotels. They have a small gym, that's located in the building where the reception is. The gym though small, is sufficiently equipped. The breakfast offered is extensive and the buffet offered for lunch also had varieties.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kbblandi
PHBWLCPT, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Kbblandi,

Your feedback on Trip Advisor is much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time in doing so.

How wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stay and to found our location to be of great benefit to you. Yes, our hotel is truly unique, which we believe assists us in making our valued GUESTS feel welcome and at home. How wonderful that you enjoyed our scrumptious and extensive breakfast buffet.

We look forward in welcoming you back again soon.

Athens
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for a week in Feb-March 2014. The best thing about this hotel is its location, just a few minutes walk from the Waterfront.

Rooms were fine, breakfast excellent and the staff very helpful. Special thanks to Zolisa and Ebrahim for being so kind to assist us with all our needs.

At the time we paid around 90 euros per night incl. breakfast and would definitely say it was value for money.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Themis_13,

Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review on Tri Advisor.
Your praise in particular about Zolisa and Ebrahim is most appreciated. We will be sure to pass your encouraging words on to them.
We look forward to welcoming you back ‘home’ again soon.

Vladivostok
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Didn't stay at the hotel, which I understand is reasonable - price and quality OK, and the staff excellent. However, I did have lunch at the restaurant. A glass of house red wine and a so-called "Summer Salad". The house red was a reasonable wine, but at a cost of ZAR40 for a 150 ml dribble was, to my mind, daylight robbery. For those unfamiliar with metric measures, 150ml equates to about a thmble-and-a-half-full. Then, the Summer Salad: a square plate of medium size with a small pile of rocket (admittedly very fresh and crisp), some bits and pieces and some squares of probably feta cheese. Cost? ZAR80.

This is by no means a gourmet restaurant: more like a semi-canteen buffet-type joint with high noise levels (lots of loud-mouthed MBA students sharing their infinite wisdom with the world in general) and minimal atmosphere. I can name any number of high quality restaurants in Cape Town that will charge you less than ZAR40 for a much larger glass of substantially better red wine - and include their version of the Summer Salad as a starter at probably half the price charged by these scalpers.

Lesson? Beware of large chain hotels. Of course, the V&A Waterfront hosts millions of tourists a year, the vast majority of whom will come once only. And, of course, with prices like this. Protea Hotels couldn't give a fig about repeat business. A single visit fills the coffers admirably, thank you very much. Ka - ching!!!

Never again. Warn your friends and associates. Spread the word.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BrozlikM
Dear BrozlikM,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor about Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge.

I would like to apologise for the disappointment you experienced during your recent visit.

Your patronage at our hotel and restaurant is held at high esteem and we would like to restore your faith in our product. Please email me at gm@bwl.co.za as we would like to hear more about your experience with us.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was my home 7 nights which felt like forever! I did not like the vibes at the hotel as it used to be a prison. It is the perfect destination for tourists who want to know how it feels like to sleep in a prison.
The hotel is linked to the UCT Graduate School of Business which is great as I were there for business.
When booking, ask for a room with the view of the Aquarium - that was lovely.
The staff was excellent, efficient and super friendly. The rooms are clean with fresh linen and some complimentary water and tea.
The in-house spa was also great! I loved the lounge area! Very convenient place to hang out with mates especially because it was during the world cup!
The plugs are far from the bed so couldn't really use my phone in bed if the battery was flat! Thank you for the universal plug points!
Did I mention that the staff was SUPER FRIENDLY AND ALWAYS HELPFUL! :)

Room Tip: Rooms with the view of the Two Ocean Aquarium are perfect!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mamodise M,

We are so happy that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
Thank you very much for the wonderful feedback. Hope to welcome you back at Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge in the near future!

Kind Regards,