After seeing Parker Cottage's website (www.parkercottage.co.za) it was impossible to not have high expectations for our stay during the World Cup. After booking our reservation for three, my girlfriend decided to come with us and Phil and Liz were extremely reasonable about adding her to our reservation. They always responded promptly to my e-mails and were a joy to communicate with.
Upon arriving, Phil met us at the door and offered us a variety of local beers/beverages to get us settled in. Soon after, we reviewed a map of Cape Town with him and he provided his insight into the different neighborhoods, bars, restaurants, and sights to check out during our stay. Our excitement doubled immediately, and we felt much safer having a general knowledge of the city. He made us a dinner reservation at a wonderful local restaurant the next day and happily arranged taxis for us on several occasions.
I won't waste time explaining how well appointed the guest house and rooms are--the pictures on the website speak for themselves. The only other thing I'd like to mention is that if it's your first time in Cape Town, you MUST ask Phil and Liz to give you the number for Discovery Tours, run by a man named Yaseen and his wife Tania (the website is a bit outdated, but the link is www.discoverytours.co.za). Yaseen drove the four of us around town and down the cape for a full day and it was absolutely unforgettable. He took us places most tourists don't know about, had friends everywhere, explained all the various sights articulately and answered all of our questions. We couldn't have asked for a friendlier, funnier tour guide and we'll never forget it.
In summary, our experience at Parker Cottage could not have been better. It had all the amenities you would expect of a luxury guest house (friendly staff, a wonderful chef for breakfast, free computer access with internet, top-notch security), yet still felt warm and intimate. Phil and Liz clearly love hosting travelers and they do it to perfection. I could not recommend Parker Cottage more highly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Parker Cottage! We’re a little different than the usual hotel or guesthouse experience. Rather than being just a conventional ‘place to sleep’, we offer a very much unplugged, urban retreat right in the creative heart of Cape Town. So although we offer free and fast internet, we don't do minibars, piped music or even reception desks. Think of us like a country house in the middle of the city. We’re the kind of place where you can rediscover the art of conversation, endless breakfasts and total serenity. Parker is a social place too: our legendary free wine evenings occur at least twice a week and there’s no ‘cut off’ time for our gourmet breakfasts either. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HRS, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Parker Cottage reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Parker Cottage Hotel Cape Town Central
- Parker Cottage Cape Town, South Africa