“Amazing stay!”
Review of The Backpack

The Backpack
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Such a fabulous hostel! Everyone who worked there was super friendly and helpful. I met so many amazing people staying at the hostel. The accommodations were super clean. I would def. come back to this back packers for another stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
EleniGood, Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

It is awesome to hear that you loved your stay with us while in Cape Town.

We will be sure to tell our staff that you found them all happy and friendly to work with.

We look forward in welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

This is one of the best backpackers I've ever been to. The staff is super friendly and helpful. The prices are adequate and the bed are comfortable and clean. It's one of those places where you don't want to leave which is actually a shame since there is one of the coolest neighbourhoods right in front of the door. I'll definitely come back and drink more of their delicious wine (you won't be able to drink only one glass so I would recommend to start with a bottle right away ;)). Thanks for the great time and see you soon!
David + Serhat

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DavidMayer99
EleniGood, Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Backpack.

We are happy to hear that you found the beds at the hostel comfortable. We do our very best to make sure our guests are comfortable while staying with us.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed at The Backpack on/off for about a month during my most recent trip to Cape Town. The location is great and quiet, the staff is so friendly (the owner even visited me when I had to take a trip to the hospital!), and the rooms are nice regardless of whether you're staying in a dorm or your own room (I did both at various points.) There's a really nice atmosphere in the bar at night (and great breakfast in the morning--even with gluten-free toast!) and it's a wonderful place to meet people. Definitely my favorite hostel I've stayed in (and I've stayed in many!)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are really glad to hear that you loved your stay with us.

Our staff always strive to go that extra mile to make the guests feel like they are part of the family. It is lovely to hear that you were able to enjoy breakfast in our hostel.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

I loved my staying at The Backpack! The staff was really friendly and the room with private bathroom was very nice.
I think most of my excellent experience in Cape Town was due to the hospitality of the hostel.
Loved the wine tasting night (and I have videos to prove!!!!)

• Stayed: October 2012
EleniGood, Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are really glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us in Cape Town.

It is lovely to hear you could participate in our wine tasting night and you enjoyed it. It is always a good night at the hostel.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

This is a great hostel! I don't have anything but positive things to say about The Backpack.
The rooms are big and clean with big lockers, the beds are very comfy, the bathrooms are nice and clean, the many lounge areas are cosy and sociable, especially the bar area, the price is very reasonable, and the staff is so helpful and cool.
It is located between Table Mountain and the popular Longstreet, with walking distance to most of the central city. They serve lovely, varied breakfast in the bar, or you can cook yourself in the kitchen. The hostel is always busy with a lot of guests, which is great and with good reasons. It is always lively in the bar area with good music playing, a pool table and free wifi. But never a problem to get a good and quiet night sleep.
I was supposed to stay in Cape Town for a week in different hostels, but (as well as the city itself) The Backpack made the choice to stay longer easy. I ended up staying in the same hostel almost three weeks. (I got to try a lot of different rooms though..)

If I'm going back, no...WHEN I'm going back to Cape Town I will without doubt stay at The Backpack again!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
EleniGood, Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

It is awesome to hear that you couldn't leave our hostel and that it made your stay in Cape Town that bit more exciting, even if you had to swop rooms.

We are glad to hear that you were able to sample some our delicious breakfast served in the cafe. As you mentioned, we do like that there is a cafe should you wish to spoil yourself for breakfast or that there is a self-catering kitchen too if you would like to prepare your own meals.

Reviewed 8 June 2013

Superb hostel. Great friendly service from the staff who really go the extra mile to help you. Great location just 2 minutes walk from Long Street (close enoughtto enjoy it but far enough away to get a good night sleep!) The hostel has a great layout with a great bar/lounge and veranda area to socialise. Free WIFI is handy. The private rooms are lovely and much better than anything else available in CT. Very clean and well kept. Best hostel I've been to in CT by a mile.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for reviewing our hostel on Tripadvisor.

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Backpack.

Our staff always strive to ensure that our guests have the best stay possible while in Cape Town. We will be sure to tell them that you thought they were all friendly.

We are glad to hear that you found the bedrooms to be of an awesome standard. Our house keeping team, work extremely hard in keep our rooms up the the standard that our guests deserve.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cape Town soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

I love the Backpack! It is the finest hostel I have stayed in during a world-full of travel. I first stayed there in 2007 and did so again this year, 2013. The staff is very helpful, accommodating and friendly. The rooms and are clean, uncluttered and comfortable. I rented a dorm bed years ago and opted for a private room this time around. Bathrooms are clean as well. I absolutely love the cafe/bar area and free wifi it provides. The central location of the Backpack is extremely convenient; minutes to Table Mountain by car, 30 mins +/- walk to Waterfront through downtown and a cheap cab ride to Sea Point. The only reason for my 4 rating instead of 5 is noisy guests coming through the halls late at night, and I feel like the staff could make a point of folks respecting the "Please respect other guests after 12am" signs. However, I understand that this is a hostel and hostels have noisy guests at night. That's what you get for such an affordable rate. I will certainly stay at The Backpack again.

Room Tip: I loved the Penguin as a solo private room. Bathrooms around the corner and had everything I needed...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are extremely glad to hear that you are a returning guest and you enjoyed your stay with us again.

We too love the location of the hostel. Close enough to the hustle and bustle of the city, but far away enough that you can relax at night should you be staying in.

Thank you for your comments about the halls at night. As you mention, it is a backpackers and we strive to ask our guests to be respectful of their neighbours when coming home at night. We will look into other ways of possibly doing this though.

We hope to welcome you back for a third time soon.