We used the Backpack as a central hub to see the rest of Cape Town. We stayed for 7 nights.
There are options for ensuite bathrooms or there are plenty of bathrooms and showers for use on the property. The kitchen is nice and big, and there is a freezer and refrigerator for use if you'd like. The bedding was nice and the views from the loft rooms were amazing.
I only have 3 critiques. Firstly, the refrigerator and the Freezer need to be cleaned out by the staff more often. Secondly, there is not enough parking space, and while the car guards are incredible and help to come get you if you need to move your vehicle, it shouldn't be necessary. And lastly, this was my 4th time staying at the Backpack and this was the first time this happened, but I did see some "wildlife" in the hotel. A cockroach in my bathroom, and a good sized rodent running across the top of the cabinets in the kitchen. The latter was the only think that would ever give me pause about returning.
It's a great location, and fun vibe. It doesn't feel like a hostel, and I'd even consider bringing my wife and kids in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Selected as best value stay in the world 2014 by Lonely Planet and Best Hostel in Africa 2014 by Hostelworld customers. Making a difference is more than just an initiative of The Backpack, it is the way we are, the way we work and the way we live. South Africa's original award-winning backpacker hostel and travel agency is simply the best place to make your travel arrangements, with all the facilities you can expect from a hip, urban hostel, such as stylishly decorated Afro-chic rooms offering superior comfort and quality, with shared or en-suite bathrooms, private electronic safes and in-house ATM. Stay in touch in our internet cafe or use WiFi throughout the hostel; swim in the pool with a stunning view of Table Mountain, or meet like-minded international travellers in our buzzing Cafe or Bar. We offer a variety of rooms, ranging from 8- and 4-bed dorms, to singles, twins, doubles and family rooms. We have recently built a loft apartment with amazing views of Table Mountain featuring its own kitchen. The hostel has communal kitchen and dining facilities; lots of sociable and chill-out spots to relax in. A night on the town in Long Street, gorgeous Clifton and Camps Bay beaches, Table Mountain, V&A Waterfront and the city centre is just a stone's throw away. Awards: Awarded Best Hostel in South Africa 2014, 2013, 2010, 2009 & 2008, Awarded Best Hostel in Africa 2014, Lonely Planet Top 10 Best Value Stays 2014. Independent winner for Best Practice Economic Impact - Imvelo Awards 2011, Independent winner for Best Single Resource Management Program in Waste Management - Imvelo Awards 2011, "One of the world's 10 coolest hostels" Guardian UK - 2010, Winner of 2011 AA Quality Assured Accommodation ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Backpack reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Backpack Hotel Cape Town Central
- The Backpack Cape Town, South Africa