“Good location and accommodations; weird room interuption.”
Review of The Backpack

The Backpack
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I did enjoy my stay at the Backpack. It was clean, inviting, friendly and I had a nice room with ensuite bathroom. It is more costly than other backpackers, but I think this place had what I was looking for including their promotion of sustainable living and practice. I appreciated the communal kitchen as it helped keep dining costs down and I enjoy cooking. The cafe/bar was great, to have some supplementation when needed and the staff were super friendly. I also was pleased with the Langa township tour the reception staff organized for me. The location is closed to Long and Kloof streets which have a lot to offer. Being close to the Company Gardens and various museums was a plus as well. The only upset for me is that when I arrived back to my room from a Table Mountain hike (around 2:30-3:00 pm), I was in the bathroom and heard a knock at the door, then someone came in the room and surprised I asked "may I help you?" The person left and said she was sorry. Then about a minute later, I heard another knock, a hello and then one of the owners was coming into my room with a photographer. I was in a towel ready to get in the shower wondering what was up and if they need something? She apologized and said no it's okay. I thought it was strange that it happened twice and that someone would come into the room when it is obviously occupied. I can understand if it was housekeeping staff, but it wasn't. This action left a bad taste in my mouth! However, I did enjoy my stay and the environs.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
EleniCPT, Senior Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. We apologies for the disturbance at your room. We are currently renovating the hostel, but you should not of been disturbed! I can assure if you stay with us again, it won't happen again to you.

We are very proud of the "green" aspects that our hostel does do, whether is be the different recyclables, solar powered hot water, worm garden just to name a few. It is lovely though that you were proud to stay at a hostel that does their part for the environment.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Backpack

Reviewed 20 April 2014

It's my first time to stay at a hostel, and I thought its gonna be, "eh, ugh" but it turned out to be one of my best stays! :) Great view! Super relaxing after an exhausting tours, sightseeing, etc. So cozy, feels like home :) Love the interiors, furniture and of course, the staff are very welcoming. Thanks!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
EleniCPT, Senior Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Backpack and that you were amazed by the facilities considering this was the first time you were at a backpack.

It is lovely to hear that you loved the views that we have around the hostel and that you found the hostel to be homely and all the staff to helpful and friendly.

We hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Nice enough place, but considering it's 40-50% more expensive, there is no justification for this. I've stayed in many back-packers, both in SA and abroad and this rates as "average" - not "the best hostel in SA" - no way. Nice mattress, but the noise of the road makes it undesirable, it's location is not so great and the bar is over-priced, it was just standard otherwise.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
EleniCPT, Senior Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are sorry to hear that you felt that you didn't possibly have the best stay with us you potentially could of. When it comes to being awarded "Best Hostel in South Africa" that is based on what our past guests have felt is true to our hostel, so it is unfortunate that you didn't "love" your stay.

We always strive to ensure that our guests have the best stay possible with us.

We hope that should you stay with us again, you will have a more enjoyable stay with us.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We used the Backpack as a central hub to see the rest of Cape Town. We stayed for 7 nights.

There are options for ensuite bathrooms or there are plenty of bathrooms and showers for use on the property. The kitchen is nice and big, and there is a freezer and refrigerator for use if you'd like. The bedding was nice and the views from the loft rooms were amazing.

I only have 3 critiques. Firstly, the refrigerator and the Freezer need to be cleaned out by the staff more often. Secondly, there is not enough parking space, and while the car guards are incredible and help to come get you if you need to move your vehicle, it shouldn't be necessary. And lastly, this was my 4th time staying at the Backpack and this was the first time this happened, but I did see some "wildlife" in the hotel. A cockroach in my bathroom, and a good sized rodent running across the top of the cabinets in the kitchen. The latter was the only think that would ever give me pause about returning.

It's a great location, and fun vibe. It doesn't feel like a hostel, and I'd even consider bringing my wife and kids in the future.

Room Tip: The Loft rooms have great views. The ensuite bathrooms are worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you that we were able to welcome you back for a fourth visit to The Backpack.

We are sorry that you had to encounter some "wildlife" while you were here with us. There unfortunately was a slight problem within the City, but the City Council has worked on it, and we barely seen any again. We hope that when you visit us again for the 5th visit, that something like that won't happen again.

It is delightful to hear that you got to experience the fun atmosphere that we have the evenings around the bar area.

We hope that you will visit again soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I adored everything about this place. Deserves more than 5*. So many awards for a reason! I initially had two nights but managed to extend it to two weeks although I had to switch rooms a bit as it got booked up fast. Many others I became friends with extended too. I stayed in penguin (single), lion (8 bed mixed) and giraffe (4 bed mixed). Try not to stay in crocodile which is next to the lounge or Banafa which is next to reception/bar area as they were apparently noisy.

All staff were wonderful; Mariano, Tamsin, Primrose and a tall guy from Jo'burg (name slipped my mind) to name a few. They made sure they knew your name immediately and would always address/greet you by it which was surprising seeing as they had so many people and probably a good turnover. They would often come out on nights out too. The owner (with the cute little dog) once gave us a lift to town in the evening when she heard us asking for directions, even though it was the opposite way and she was going home to cook. The staff are very knowledgable and there is lots of info to be given about tours etc as they have often been on them themselves.

They do free wine tasting once a month with a quiz (a ZAR300 bar tab as a prize) and a bring and braai every Monday where they supply bread, cheese, salad etc and you bring meat.

It was so good that I even left my HelpX place a day early to have my last night there.

Love it. Miss it! Miss the staff. Going back as soon as possible, just need the air fair!

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are more than delighted to hear that you had an unbelievable stay with us at The Backpack and that you shortened your stay somewhere else to come and have your final stay with us.

We will be sure to let the staff members know that you were happy with the services provided while here.

We hope that you will find the air fare soon to come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Backpack, had originally booked 4 nights and in the end decided to extend my stay. It is very well located, close enough to the city and also offers the quietness of a residential area.

Everyone at the hostel were very helpful whenever I had a question and was a great way to meet new people. The rooms are very good size and bveds very comfy! We even got some 'hot water bottles' put on our beds when the temperatures dropped a bit.

Room Tip: Leopard or Zebra are good rooms to go for, if you can't sleep with some noise just bring some ea...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel.

We are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Backpack and that you even ended up extending your stay with us for more nights.

It is lovely to hear that you were able to meet other awesome people in the communal areas around the hostel.

We hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed for 4 days and found the staff very friendly and helpful, The facilities are excellent and very central. The rooms were very comfortable. The secure car parking was very use full. We only had breakfast and can recommend their breakfast in a glass.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us.

It is delightful to hear that you were happy with the facilities provided in your room, and that all staff were helpful towards to you.

We hope you will visit us again in the near future.