I did enjoy my stay at the Backpack. It was clean, inviting, friendly and I had a nice room with ensuite bathroom. It is more costly than other backpackers, but I think this place had what I was looking for including their promotion of sustainable living and practice. I appreciated the communal kitchen as it helped keep dining costs down and I enjoy cooking. The cafe/bar was great, to have some supplementation when needed and the staff were super friendly. I also was pleased with the Langa township tour the reception staff organized for me. The location is closed to Long and Kloof streets which have a lot to offer. Being close to the Company Gardens and various museums was a plus as well. The only upset for me is that when I arrived back to my room from a Table Mountain hike (around 2:30-3:00 pm), I was in the bathroom and heard a knock at the door, then someone came in the room and surprised I asked "may I help you?" The person left and said she was sorry. Then about a minute later, I heard another knock, a hello and then one of the owners was coming into my room with a photographer. I was in a towel ready to get in the shower wondering what was up and if they need something? She apologized and said no it's okay. I thought it was strange that it happened twice and that someone would come into the room when it is obviously occupied. I can understand if it was housekeeping staff, but it wasn't. This action left a bad taste in my mouth! However, I did enjoy my stay and the environs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Making a difference is more than just an initiative of The Backpack, it is the way we are, the way we work and the way we live. South Africa's original award-winning backpacker hostel and travel agency is the best place to make your travel arrangements, with all the facilities you can expect from a hip, urban hostel, such as stylishly decorated Afro-chic rooms offering superior comfort and quality, with shared or en-suite bathrooms, private electronic safes and in-house ATM. You can use WiFi throughout the hostel; swim in the pool with a view of Table Mountain, meet like-minded international travelers in our buzzing Cafe or Bar. We offer a variety of rooms, ranging from 8- and 4-bed dorms, singles, twins and family rooms. The hostel has communal kitchen and dining facilities; lots of sociable and chill-out spots to relax in. A night on the town in Long Street, gorgeous Clifton and Camps Bay beaches, Table Mountain, V&A Waterfront and the city centre is just a stone's throw away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Backpack reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Backpack Hotel Cape Town Central
- The Backpack Cape Town, South Africa