“Easy and nice”
Review of The Backpack

The Backpack
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Veryy nice hostel not too far from long street.
Every people very nice.
Bedrooms realy clean.
Très bonne adresse. Je recommande. Jy suis allé à mon arrivée ce qui m'a permi de rencontrer direct pas mal de gens.

• Stayed: April 2014
EleniCPT, Senior Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

It is great to hear that you came to stay with us via a recommendation and that you enjoyed your stay with us too.

We are glad to hear that you were happy with the location of the hostel and that all the people you were able to meet were lovely.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

​​First time you look at the backpack, you might think "middle of nowhere" but there are many cafes, restaurants and super markets nearby if you walk one block down. There is SPAR (Super Market) and they sell various kinds of deli, which might good if you stay long enough but don't want to cook ? They sell wine/alcohol but you can purchase only between 9:00 - 18:00 (Mon - Sat), if you plan to buy lots of alcohol from super market, keep it in mind.​ Having said that, there is a bar section in The Backpack where you can chill out.
One night, I took a cab from Long Street. It didn't cost more than 30R if my memory is correct. The location is quite central :)

I stayed in 4-bed-dorm (mixed) and it is right next to the swimming pool. One night, an inconsiderate couple stayed in the swimming pool area even after 22:00. What is worse, the GF kept whining and making annoying noise and the BF was trying to soothe her with no success. I once asked them directly to go back to their room but wouldn't listen to me. Fortunately, there is a security guy at the entrance of this backpacker for 24 hours, so I asked him to warn the couple on behalf of me. Finally they left swimming pool thanks to the security guy. If you have a choice, try to avoid any room near swimming pool. Not everybody is considerate.

​Breakfast is not included but hot breakfast is always available. Beside of it, I saw big ready-to-eat-sandwiches at the counter one morning but it won't be available every morning because I didn't see them next morning. Good quality of coffee is served. If you want to prepare every meal yourself, there is a nice kitchen too.

As it wasn't too hot while I stayed there, I left windows open when I slept, it was OK. I did survive without AC but I got several mosquito bites.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay, it is a huge hostel. The best thing about this hostel is you can leave unwanted things as donations when checking out such as old/dirty clothes, shampoo, soap that you couldn't finish. The Backpack will forward those donations to relevant places/people on behalf of us.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank mamacita1001

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

It is delightful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were happy to make use of the cafe that we have on site for your breakfast. Just too many yummy places around the area for us to do dinners as well.

It is unfortunate that you had a little bit of disturbance during your one night with us. As its a communal area, we can't always control the guests. We are happy that the security who was on duty that night was able to assist you with them.

Thank you for contributing donations. Whether is be something small or big, it will make a huge difference for someone else.

We hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

The Backpack Team

Reviewed 24 April 2014

The Backpack was one of the best hostels I have ever been to. Maybe all the people that I met played a big role as well, especially the bar tender "Lucas". The view up to the table mountain is just stunning, the rooms are clean, also the facilities.
The staff was very friendly. The location is also a big plus, close to Long & Kloof Street.
At all, I really did enjoy my stay at this hostel and I would to come back at some time!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel.

It is delightful to hear that you loved your stay with us, and we will be sure to mention to Lucas that he stood out for you amongst ours staff. It is always lovely to hear when a guest was happy with the services provided by our staff.

We too love our location, close to the city for all the excitement, but far away enough that you can rest peacefully at night.

The Backpack Team

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I did enjoy my stay at the Backpack. It was clean, inviting, friendly and I had a nice room with ensuite bathroom. It is more costly than other backpackers, but I think this place had what I was looking for including their promotion of sustainable living and practice. I appreciated the communal kitchen as it helped keep dining costs down and I enjoy cooking. The cafe/bar was great, to have some supplementation when needed and the staff were super friendly. I also was pleased with the Langa township tour the reception staff organized for me. The location is closed to Long and Kloof streets which have a lot to offer. Being close to the Company Gardens and various museums was a plus as well. The only upset for me is that when I arrived back to my room from a Table Mountain hike (around 2:30-3:00 pm), I was in the bathroom and heard a knock at the door, then someone came in the room and surprised I asked "may I help you?" The person left and said she was sorry. Then about a minute later, I heard another knock, a hello and then one of the owners was coming into my room with a photographer. I was in a towel ready to get in the shower wondering what was up and if they need something? She apologized and said no it's okay. I thought it was strange that it happened twice and that someone would come into the room when it is obviously occupied. I can understand if it was housekeeping staff, but it wasn't. This action left a bad taste in my mouth! However, I did enjoy my stay and the environs.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. We apologies for the disturbance at your room. We are currently renovating the hostel, but you should not of been disturbed! I can assure if you stay with us again, it won't happen again to you.

We are very proud of the "green" aspects that our hostel does do, whether is be the different recyclables, solar powered hot water, worm garden just to name a few. It is lovely though that you were proud to stay at a hostel that does their part for the environment.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

It's my first time to stay at a hostel, and I thought its gonna be, "eh, ugh" but it turned out to be one of my best stays! :) Great view! Super relaxing after an exhausting tours, sightseeing, etc. So cozy, feels like home :) Love the interiors, furniture and of course, the staff are very welcoming. Thanks!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
EleniCPT, Senior Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Backpack and that you were amazed by the facilities considering this was the first time you were at a backpack.

It is lovely to hear that you loved the views that we have around the hostel and that you found the hostel to be homely and all the staff to helpful and friendly.

We hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Nice enough place, but considering it's 40-50% more expensive, there is no justification for this. I've stayed in many back-packers, both in SA and abroad and this rates as "average" - not "the best hostel in SA" - no way. Nice mattress, but the noise of the road makes it undesirable, it's location is not so great and the bar is over-priced, it was just standard otherwise.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
EleniCPT, Senior Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are sorry to hear that you felt that you didn't possibly have the best stay with us you potentially could of. When it comes to being awarded "Best Hostel in South Africa" that is based on what our past guests have felt is true to our hostel, so it is unfortunate that you didn't "love" your stay.

We always strive to ensure that our guests have the best stay possible with us.

We hope that should you stay with us again, you will have a more enjoyable stay with us.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We used the Backpack as a central hub to see the rest of Cape Town. We stayed for 7 nights.

There are options for ensuite bathrooms or there are plenty of bathrooms and showers for use on the property. The kitchen is nice and big, and there is a freezer and refrigerator for use if you'd like. The bedding was nice and the views from the loft rooms were amazing.

I only have 3 critiques. Firstly, the refrigerator and the Freezer need to be cleaned out by the staff more often. Secondly, there is not enough parking space, and while the car guards are incredible and help to come get you if you need to move your vehicle, it shouldn't be necessary. And lastly, this was my 4th time staying at the Backpack and this was the first time this happened, but I did see some "wildlife" in the hotel. A cockroach in my bathroom, and a good sized rodent running across the top of the cabinets in the kitchen. The latter was the only think that would ever give me pause about returning.

It's a great location, and fun vibe. It doesn't feel like a hostel, and I'd even consider bringing my wife and kids in the future.

Room Tip: The Loft rooms have great views. The ensuite bathrooms are worth the extra cost.