“Excellent luxury hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Excellent luxury hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Grand for 5 nights in August 2011. I initially had a bit of a problem with my reservation as I had booked via Orbitz and not directly through the Westin web site. I did this to avoid currency conversion charges on my US credit card, as the Westin site charges in South African Rand while Ortibz charges directly in USD. The reservation I received only indicated one guest, and I emailed Westin directly to make sure that the reservation covered both my wife and me. The rates I booked via Orbtiz were equivalent to the rates for two people I encountered on the Westin Cape Town site. I was thus surprised to receive a late reply to my query advising me that I would have to pay extra as the rate I booked was allegedly the rate for one person. This was eventually sorted out, however, without requiring any extra payment, but only after multiple emails and a phone call, as it often took the staff a long time to reply to emails.

In addition, I had requested that we be provided with an extra fridge in the room, as the other reviews I came across here on Trip Advisor indicated that placing personal items in the minibar resulted in their being charged therefor. The fridge was only installed in the room when I reminded the staff of my request upon check-in.

My wife and I were very happy to learn upon check-in that we were upgraded to the Executive Club Floor, granting us access to the Executive Club Lounge on the top floor of the hotel (19th floor). We were even given a personal run-through by the receptionist of the amenities in the room. The room was wonderful with a great view of Devil's Peak and the waterfront. The so-called Westin "Heavenly Bed" really was heavenly; you literally sink into blissful oblivion when you lie down. The option to heat the bathroom tiles is a welcome touch. We loved the Sally Williams nougat that was left in the room each night as part of the turndown service.

Guests can enjoy complimentary tasty canapes and drinks (whatever you want - wine, beer, sodas, juice, etc.) at the lounge from 5 to 7 p.m. while watching TV or enjoying the beautiful view. Guests can likewise have breakfast at the lounge rather than at the Thirty7 restaurant on the ground floor where all the other guests have breakfast. While the Lounge offers exclusivity and great views, the breakfast here only has a cold buffet as opposed to the full buffet on the ground floor. Nevertheless, guests can always order additional dishes a la carte at no extra charge.

The buffet breakfast was sumptuous, although some of the dishes were not that tasty. The bacon, for example, could have been made crispier, and we found it strange that sushi and oysters were part of the buffet. The Spanish omelette we ordered was rather bland. The fruits, such as pineapples and melons, were often not sweet.

Also on the 19th floor is the Arabella Spa, which contains the gym, indoor heated pool, jacuzzi tub, spa, and sauna.

The hotel staff were generally quite friendly and helpful, although there was still a noticeable range in the warmth and attitude among staff. One minor incident was that my wife made a special request with the receptionist of the Executive Club as we were to celebrate my birthday over dinner at the restaurant. The receptionist did not properly execute the request - the wrong kind of cake was served, no candle was placed thereon, and the waiter still inquired whether we wanted to order dessert, when my wife had already specified that the cake was to be our dessert.

The location of the hotel is not exactly within walking distance of the waterfront and the city center, but we never found this to be a problem. There is a frequent complimentary shuttle service to and from the waterfront. If you're a business traveler attending a conference at the Cape Town International Conference Centre, this would be the perfect hotel as it is directly linked thereto. The hop-on hop-off tour bus has a stop at this conference centre; the actual stop is just a few meters away from the hotel entrance.

All in all, despite the initial hiccups and minor incidents, my wife and I had a very memorable, comfortable and pampered stay at the Westin Grand Cape Town. We would love to go back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Invictus5930
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Dear invictus5930

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay at the Westin Cape Town.

As a Management Team we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any issues.
I do apologize for the miscommunication with your cake order.

Again, thank you for the comments, wich help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

Friedrich Schaefer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

My husand and I were booked into the Westin Grand in Cape Town as part of a Canadian Delegation to the Education International Conference of teachers in July 2011.

This is a very upscale hotel, with friendly staff at all levels, and an array of facilities and tour options. It was chosen by my organization for its entrance leading to the Conference Centre and availability of "hospitality areas".

I will think of marble and glass as decor highlights, and will remember the heated tiles on the sumptuous bathroom floor, and finding the best combination of subtle "night lighting" options ever. The latter were not a minor feature, since there were a total of three glass doors between our bed and the toilet!

Absolutely soundproof from the main highway of continuous traffic skirting our side of the building, "blackout" curtains, and a very comfortable king size bed with an array of great pillows and a sumptuous duvet. There are in-room mini-bar and safe, ironing board, walk-in-closet etc. etc. as well as room service, spa etc.

The buffet breakfast had probably the most choice, freshness and attractive arrangement of any I have encountered, and the chefs popped out eggs ot match even the most specific request in short order and to the specifications required. One of our delegation ordered a "five minute boiled egg" the first morning, and she was spotted on arrival each day to have it ready right upon request, with a smile.

Now this is not a low budget hotel, and travellers on a tourist budget, especially accompanied by children will find more "South African" style accommodation closer to other attractions that are more "child-friendly" and accommodating if one is looking for a familly suite or "cot" in the room, etc.

However, the business traveller connected to the Conference Centre will find it relaxing, pampering and convenient.

A small word of caution: We encountered s couple of very (and I mean very!) windy days, and the walkway across a seemingly narrow roadway to the conference centre was the scene of a couple of "wind gust" caused nasty falls. Also, a couple of members of the conference delegation had neck jewelry yanked and stolen near the hotel. So some South African cautions are necessary even in this part of the beautiful country!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank bmacmoore
Dear bmacmoore

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Westin Cape Town.

It was nice to hear that our staff exceeded your expectations, they work exceptionaly hard to make every guest feel special.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It is of the standard you would expect of a 5* Westin. The location is not actually directly on the Waterfront but two return shuttles run per hour to the centre, which is less than a five minute drive. We stayed in an Executive Club Room which meant that we had breakfast in the Club Lounge. This was served A La Carte alongside a cold buffet. Breakfasts were very enjoyable although the sashimi did give my husband food poisoning one day so I would avoid that.
Hotel bed comfort was amazing. Room and bathroom size very good. Views of table mountain lovely. Staff helpful. The information desk on the ground floor is good for booking excursions as well as for general information without pressure to buy.
In terms of dining outside of breakfast, we only had room service from the hotel, and this was quite average.
We would come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a table mountain view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LisaSDubai
Dear LisaSDubai

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon for your next visit to Cape Town.

SF Bay Area, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

On a last minute whim, we decided to stay here instead of at a family member's house for our last two days.to get some alone time. The rooms and lobby were beautiful and luxurious, and the views were to die for, especially at the top. Walking distance to many downtown destinations makes this an excellent choice.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank traveling-bookgirl
Dear traveling-bookgirl

Thank you for staying at the Westin Cape Town.

We loved your feedback and are happy to know that you had such a wonderful time with us.

We look forward to welcome you back to the Westin when your travels take you to beautiful Cape Town in the future.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is the hotel with the best view of the V&A Waterfront and Table Mountain! Thorougly enjoyed every minute spent here. The service from check-in throughout was flawless. If you stay here make sure your room has access to the Exec Lounge as this is remarkable! Wish I could stay here all the time. The best hotel in Cape Town.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank carelbotha
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Dear Carelbotha

Thank you for the positive feedback of our hotel.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you soon for your next stay.

be well, be Westin.

Bishkek
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

After four days of work, my wife and I spent two nights relaxing at the Westin. We were in an executive room, just below the executive club. Excellent room, the Club was very nice and the staff were most helpful and friendly. Only complaint is the Club was full of convention attendees one of the evenings, but that should be expected when a hotel is part of a convention center. Great location, great staff, beautiful scenery while eating in the restaurant on the 19th floor. And nothing can quite beat the view from the spa.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
dear nzusbrad

We were delighted to hear that you and your wife had a wonderful stay with us at the Westin Cape Town.

It was nice to hear that the Westin Executive Club associates exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed your restaurant visit from a food and view perspective.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments and we do look forward to welcome you to the Westin Cape Town when next your travels bring you to Cape Town.

be well, be Westin.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Our recent stay at the Westin Cape Town was beyond our expectations. The front office staff who checked us in went above and beyond and upgraded us to a suite. The amenities were good, clean rooms, FANTASTIC breakfast, great location and shuttle service. I would have no hesitation in recommending the Westin to anyone who would like a comfortable holiday. I would not hesitate to stay at the Westin if I ever visit Cape Town again. Thank you to the General Manager of the Westin Cape Town and his staff.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank queenj28
Dear queenj28

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel.

We were delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that you had a wonderful stay with us.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we certainly look forward to welcome you to the Westin when next you decide to travel down South.

Be well, Be Westin.