“First class hotel in the heart of Cape Town”

The Westin Cape Town
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
London
“First class hotel in the heart of Cape Town”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed here for a business trip in October 2011 and can't talk highly enough of this hotel's quality of the level of service I received from the staff. One word of warning I would give is to make sure the vendor that manages the travel desk there clearly understands your requirements - I had a couple of instances where communication went astray and I ended up with booking confusion. There is also an excellent restaurant on the 19th floor with fabulous food and magnificent panorama views over the whole of the city.

Room Tip: Do your best to get onto the SPG level rooms, they're much bigger and get you access to the 19th...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Dear torqemada

Thank you very much for your positive review of the Westin Cape Town.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope we are able to welcome you back to the Westin when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

Be well, be Westin.

Friedrich Schaefer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at the Westin hotel in October for 13 nights very recently. The Westin is a lovely hotel, the rooms are well thought out and spacious enough to accommodate you. The staff for the most are very pleasant and willing to assist. I required some of my medication to be refrigerated and the Westin installed a small bar fridge for my medication - I am very thankful for this. We had a magnificent view of the V&A Waterfront from our room. The location is spot on given that you are a walk into town away and a 20 minute walk away from the V&A waterfront. There is a shuttle to the V&A Waterfront every half an hour and a return every half hour. We used this service every day - it is an invaluable service. The drivers are fantastic. Big hello to Peter!

The food at the Westin is delicious. The breakfast has a huge variety of everything, You will never go hungry! The juice station was amazing. I loved trying out all the different juices including the spinach and papaya - give it a go - its delicious!

We had very good WIFI reception the entire time we were there which was invaluable to us as we needed to communicate with home.

The spa centre was lovely and the massages were very good. The gym was more than adequate and I managed to get up there for a few mornings to do a workout.

I wouldnt say there were many things to fault at the Westin but I would definitely say that some services do need tweeking considering it is a five star hotel. They are as follows:

Inconsistant with the complimentary water for the room - sometimes we only got 1 bottle (there were 2 of us!!).
Inconsistant with the bath sheets/towels for the room - sometimes we only got 1 big towel and the rest were normal sized! Also there were a couple of days where they forgot to give us bath mats and hand towels!
They should make sure that there is enough soap in the rooms before checking in - we only had 1 bar of soap for the first 2 days - we ended up buying a bar from the supermarket! Funnily enough after we bought the soap, the next morning our bathroom had the soap stocked up!
Very inconsistant with stocking up the complimentary tea/coffee/sugar. When we first arrived it didnt get stocked up for 2 days until I made a call. Having already alerted them to this you would think from thereonin they would make sure it was stocked up every day - not so I am afraid.
Breakfast - the waitstaff forgot to order our toast on 4 occasions - not a big deal but for a 5 star hotel, not the best!
Breakfast - we would be asked if we wanted coffee or tea when we were seated - they forgot to follow through with our order twice - again, not a big deal, but again not expected for a 5 star hotel.

If some of these things were addressed, then it would make for a better 5 star hotel. Having stayed in previous 5 star hotels, I found that the Westin needed a little tweaking in its 5 star category!

All in all though a beautiful hotel with lovely staff.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor, for magnificent views.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Happyhols-Perth

Thank you very much for taking the time and posting your review here on Tripadvisor.

I twas a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, however I also read your comments with regards to your negative experience. We apologize for these inconsistencies.
You are right, not what one would expect from a 5 Star Hotel, I have noted your review and passed it on to the relevant Department Heads for action and follow up.

Many thanks once a gain for taking the time and we do hope to welcome you at the Westin Cape Town when next you travel to Cape Town, to prove to you that these are not the high standards we set ourselves out to achieve.

Be well, be Westin.

DUBAI
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Ok the Hotel is nice as the rooms are there now concerning the service this hotel has reached the level of the sheraton in Abuja (I think it is even better in Sheraton in Abuja).
Being a Platunum SPG memeber I got upgraded to a nice suite, it was my second stay in the hotel. Being at the excecutive level I was granted acces to the Exec lounge for breakfast and drinks between 17 and 19.
My advise: Fire the Chef all of them as the food is really not good!
1/ Two tentative to take breakfast in the exec lounge no luck as after 45 minutes I was still waiting for my eggs so I left before they hypoteticly arrived as I needed to go to work (yes I know it is a unclear concept for you guys at the Westin)
2/ Entring in my room eventhough the DND sighn is on the door
3/ Not returning the laundry in time
4/Not cleaning the room (Came back at 4 PM and nothing was done)
5/ Closing down the only restaurant in the hotel because they have a private function so please go somewhere else!!seriously ! they propose you to go have lunch at the exec lounge who is trying to be a restaurant good luck if you decide to try this...
6/ room service takes for ever to come when it is there it is already cold and half of the order is missing so you have to wait another 20 minutes...and let's face it it is really not good they are not even capable of fixing a decent club sandwich...
7/underwear of the previous customer still in the closet
8/After asking 2 times to the guest service to have an hotel car for airport transfer and make it confirmed two time the car came 20 minutes late....

Too bad last year it was kind of ok but now never again! of course everybody is sorry but no one is fixing your problem...

2 Thank FRENCHBIZTRAVELER
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Dear FRENCHBIZTRAVELER

Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I am sorry to hear that your stay at the Westin was not pleasant. If you would like to discuss your experience with a memeber of the hotel staff, please send an email to angelika.hammel@westin.com so we may address your concerns with you directly.

Sincerely
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My friend and I stayed here for 3 days after 2 days at the Holiday Inn City Center (she and I were splitting the points). This was our first visit to Cape Town, so we were planning to do a lot of sightseeing. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, and for one reason: its accessiblity. Yes, the hotel itself is very nice and everything you would expect of a Westin - clean, modern, tastefully decorated room; comfortable beds, sheets, pillows; heated floor tiles in the bathroom; bathtub and separate shower in its own little "room"; attention to detail, awesome view, etc. The staff is helfpul (though I would not say personable). But we found out while at the Holiday Inn that pretty much everything in the city center shuts down around 6 pm, but The V&A Waterfront stays open later (shops till 9 pm and restaurants till 11pm). The Westin is about 10 minutes from the Waterfront and has a free shuttle that runs there and back from about 9 am to about 11:30pm. The Westin is across from/connected to the Convention Center, which has a little cafe, a small tourist desk and an ATM. The Convention Center is also one of the stops for the hop on/hop off city sightseeing bus route. Although the Holiday Inn is more centrally located, I think this hotel was much more convenient overall.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank merrytina
Dear merrytina

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments and we hope to see you again very soon when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

with best regards
Winterthur, Switzerland
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I stayed for the third time in the Westin Cape Town - for the first time since the affiliation with Arabella ended. Obviously, this didn't do any damage as fare as location is concerned. However, I certainly had the impression it was less perfect, than before. Whether this is related to the departure of Arabella, I don't know. But the hotel now shows very clear signs of wear and tear, both in the room, public areas and the exec lounge. It was also less clean, there was a curry odour in the entire hotel. Also the lounge no longer has a real cocktail session. Eligible customers can still go there, receive a glass of wine or a softdring on request and three mini-nibbles. You can also ask for a refill of the drinks, but not for the nibbles. They are actually trying to sell the lounge as a restaurant. An other - really minor - point was the chocolates/nougats from the evening turn-down service. I got one the first night, but not the second night. I asked the maid, why not, and she replied that she didn't get a sufficient number for all her rooms ... I got mine, but I think this is really strange and never happened to me before. Staff in general is still very attentive and friendly (including the poor maid - it was really embarrassing for her).
Bottom line: Still good, but far from excellent.

Dear swiss_global_trip

Thank you fro your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the service deficiencies you expereinced.

As a Management team we take all comments seriously and share them with our team, so we may resolve any issues.

Again thank you for your comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Sincerely
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 October 2011

As you would expect, the Westin Hotel in Cape Town is very good. It is true as Roxanne33 says, you could be anywhere in the world, but even if it does not feel African, it is still a good hotel. Friends were at the V&A Waterfront Table Bay Hotel. Very nice again. But the area was so new and resort-like, you REALLY didn't feel like you were in Africa. But back to the Westin...it was near downtown and Long Street, a varied and interesting area! One of the highly rated restaurants on Tripadvisor is Bizerca. It is in an odd location, but only a block or two away. Very good! The Westin bed was great. The bathroom was very nice with heated floors. The breakfast is worth it. It was hugely varied and some of the pastries were yummmmmy! My husband went crazy for the smoothy and juice bar. I wasn't impressed with their lunch, but it was OK. Nice view in the work out room and the pool upstairs.

Dear lizpani

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel.

We are happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay.

With best regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I have been staying in this hotel everytime I go to Cape Town for the past 3 years and everytime I feel a bit like coming home. Ricardo on the front desk is great, very welcoming and no request is too much.
The rooms are spacious and the bathroom is great. The shuttle bus gets you to the Waterfront if it's your first time in CPT or you can walk to restaurants and bars downtown like Keerom 95 or Fez.
Also very easy to get in and out of town if you have meetings in northern or eastern parts of the city.

Room Tip: If you are with SPG, try to get a room on the Executive floor, so you can have access to the lounge...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Dear Carsten W

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Westin Cape Town. it was nice to hear that Ricardo exceeded your expectations.

Our staff work very hard to make every guest feel special.

thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Best wishes