“Very fine hotel if you are into this sort of thing”

The Westin Cape Town
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Odense, Denmark
“Very fine hotel if you are into this sort of thing”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I rate a hotel like this four stars simply because it lacks the personal ambience that I cherish in a hotel. Other than that, and for the type of hotel, it is a top notch place, with quite exceptional little details, such as floor heating in the bathroom, twin shower heads, beds that swallow you the moment you lie down and such. But a grand hotel is a grand hotel and in my view just needs an extra touch over and beyond the courtesy in exchange for an AMEX Gold.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank gnurk
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear gnurk

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope to welcome you to the Westin when next your business travels take you to Cape Town.

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I really enjoyed my recent trip to Cape Town Africa and the VIP service I received at the WESTN was excellent. I was not a VIP but was given great service on that level. The staff made me feel like they really enjoyed their job. They were fun and I enjoyed chatting with them. The rooms were clean to high standards of quality and anything you needed the made sure you got it!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank RLCOLE1913
Dear RLCOLE1913

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel.

We are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

Port Shepstone, South Africa
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My first choice of business hotel in Cape Town is the Westin [previously a Sheraton]. As an SPG member service is extra special and your status as a loyalty member acknowledged at all levels. I have always enjoyed up-grades to the Club Floor which rivals no other in Cape Town.

The rooms are well appointed with an African theme that is not overt, the slinky loungers are ideal for relaxation and the working desk is sizeable. Corner rooms feature facsimile machines as well. The bathrooms are large and luxrious and feature under-floor heating as well. The heavenly bed is standard in all rooms and without question delivers the promised comfort level.

Club floor guests are invited to take breakfast on the 18th Floor and the a la carte menu is original and very tempting with plates for the health conscious diner too. Evening cocktails are taken in the same Lounge which boasts panoramic windows on three sides. Service is discreet and always with a smile.

Uniquely positioned on the top-most floor is the fully kitted out Health Spa boasting a corner Sauna Suite that is unique and a must-do experience. The menu at the Spa is extensive and well priced. Relaxation water beds are another joyful experience at this Spa. The Gym is somewhat small but perfectly functional.

The hotel is opposite the Cape Town Convention Centre and offers convenient access to the Cape Town City Centre, surrounding hotels and the V&A Waterfront featuring extensive shopping malls.

A more than commendable leisure and business hotel in Cape Town. I shall return. The only down-side is when large conferences are taking place at the Convention Centre then the Lobby area can be extremely crowded and check-in and out longer than expected.

Room Tip: The Club Floor rooms are to be recommended. Corner rooms offer lovely views and a facsimile machine.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Yegas
Dear Yegas

I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town.

I would like to thank you for taking the time and posting your comment.

We look forward to having you stay with us again when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

Big Sky, Montana
Reviewed 26 May 2012

From the shuttle service from the airport, to check-in, the room and dining you'll find the people, quality and value amazing. The executive floor breakfast and cocktail hour are first class.

Room Tip: worth getting on the executive floor
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neverabadday
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Neverabadday

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

We look forward to having you stay with us at the Westin Cape Town when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

be well
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I recently stayed at the Westin Cape Town which is not really at the waterfront but across the highway in lower downtown Cape Town .However as I am very familiar with CT the location was fine as I was driving most of the time.The hotel is a typical large American hotel with a very cavernous cold lobby .It is not the kind of place one would like to hang out .The lobby bar was small & impersonal ,also not for hanging out .My booking included free breakfast so I therefore felt obliged to eat there. While the food was excellent,there are far nicer places to eat in CT which have a view of the ocean .The Westin lobby has absolutely no view at all .I felt as if I was in New York City,Not in the paradise of Cape Town.That having been said the room was exceptionally good and clean .The Linen was fresh as were the towels .Also there was great security to the hallways of the rooms .You needed a key to go from the elevator to the hallway .Even though the hotel is a bit off the beaten track for vacationers it was extremely easy to drive up & hand your car to the valet .The hotel is very close to the waterfront but not within walking distance .The pool is virtually non existent ,it is tiny and indoors .In conclusion I would recommend the Westin CT as a place to stay but for those that really want to experience the true flavor of CT I would recommend staying on the ocean or at the beach.The hotels at the waterfront,although some are world famous ,are also not on the ocean which is after all the greatest attraction of all.

Room Tip: Starwood members are given better rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank swmrmmk
Dear swmrmmk

We thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay at the Westin.

The Westin Cape town is classified as a Business Hotel, therefore its location opposite the Cape Town Convention Centre is appealing. We do offer a shuttle service to the V & A Waterfront
every 30 minuites from the hotel and return.

Our Westin Executive Club Restaurant on the 19th floor offers a delectable menu and a breathtaking view of the city and its surrounds.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I had work in Cape Town for four days with a colleague and I decided we would stay at the Westin. It was a great decision, I had stayed here before and had really enjoyed my stay. I was greeted very quickly and warmly welcomed back to the hotel (even though my last trip here was 2+ years ago). I really appreciate it when a hotel acknowledges your return!
I was upgraded at check-in to an executive corner junior-suite, the room was fantastic with a view to Table mountain and the V&A Waterfront. The rooms were upgraded a few years ago, so the decor is warm and modern, with full length windows pouring the afternoon light into the room and onto bed. After the long flight and sitting in the sun on the Heavenly Bed™, I promptly fell asleep, curled up in the wonderful high-quality sheets and soft pillows! I really did value that superb bed during my stay!
Starting a morning the right way is so easy at the Westin! The club lounge for complimentary continental breakfast is on the 19th floor with an amazing view from wraparound floor to ceiling windows. Eating the Super Foods breakfast overlooking the harbor is a delight. Here you can find great expresso's served with a smile!
During my stay the travel and concierge desks were great, even having a bell hop go out and purchase head ache pills one evening I was under the weather. Dinner recommendations were plentiful and the places to eat in cape town are so good and varied, and by European standards very well priced.
One thing i didn't try but did go to see was the 49m horizon pool on the 19th floor, it looked perfect for laps and relaxation!
In Africa I have found, is that if you relax just a little bit, it is an amazing place to go. The african pace is just a little slower than in frenetic big city Europe, and it took me half a day to match their pace - once on the same wave length I and my colleague had a great time. Our work was over too soon, and I found myself on board a plane back to Europe quicker than I wanted! I had a great stay at the Westin!

Room Tip: Rooms on the V&A Waterfront side have the nicer views and catch the wonderful afternoon sun!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank swissmap
Dear swissmap

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We had booked using cash + points, and upon check in, we were upgraded to a room on the Executive floor (I am an SPG Gold member). The room was very new and modern, and we loved the heated floor in the bathroom! We had a partial view of table mountain from the room.

Free wifi is provided in the room, which was useful. Breakfast in the executive lounge was excellent. It was quite nice to have a mixture of buffet and a la carte (for hot items), which included items like eggs benedicte/florentine. Great selection of juices as well, my favourite was the blueberry smoothie.

In terms of location, it is about a 5 minute drive to the Waterfront, and I believe a shuttle bus is provided. We had rented a car, and found the location quite convenient overall, but I can't comment on access to public transport.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ishan23
Dear ishan23

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel.

We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.