“A great short Stay”

Ranked #24 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Johannesburg, South Africa
“A great short Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

I was fortunate to stay at the Westin, CPT for unfortunatly on 1 night last week
I was really pressed for time so did not want to arrange to meet for a full sight inspection.

Kim checked me in and was ever so helpfull and such a warm welcome, I was amazed that it was still on record that I had stayed there a while ago ( when still the Arabella) and she welcomed me back to the hotel. I forgot someting in my car and she immediatly arranged to have it brought up to the room.

The room was fantastic with a great view towards the V & A

I had a quick shower and dashed out to meet my collegues, and got back at around 00h30, a warm greeting by the doorman and when walked past the reception desk, was asked if they could send up a cup of tea of coffee - nice touch

I really liked the bathroom floor being heated

I did do some snooping around on my own in the morning. I went up to the 19th Floor ( if i remember correct ) and had a look at the spa and all that up there - very nice with stunning views.

I gatecrashed on the conferencing going on to look around, was some or other IT convention and had a chat to the orginizors there and then gave me a rundown of the conferencing experience they were having.

Breakfast - well just to much food and great quality, anyone who complains about that breakfast has rocks in their head, Sushi for breakfast - Yum!.

Daniel checked me out and was prompt and efficient, I advised of two mainenance issues that needed to be sorted out in the room and he took the details dowm to pass onto the maintenace department.

While i was checking out, my car was brought around so that i did not have to wait.

It was fantastic. All to often 5 star hotels, lack warmth and a pesonal touch, When I did interact with hotel staff I honestly felt like they genuinly care. Very rare thing today.

Thank you One and All. Cant wait to return.

Room Tip: There are no real bad views, one side is the Waterfront view and the other is the Mountain. I liken...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BradMuir
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Dear BradMuir

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Westin Cape Town.

It was nice to hear that our staff exceeded your expectations, they work very hard to make every guest feel special.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

Stayed for 3 nights at the Westin for a holiday in South Africa, starting in Cape Town. We had some Starwood points left so decided to use them for our stay at the Westin, which made it very affordable.
We upgraded to the executive floor, which is recommended as it gives you a well executed, spacious room on one of the upper floors with great views, but the best is the executive lounge where a GREAT breakfast is served daily (which is included). The staff at the lounge were incredibly friendly and helpful and always served us breakfast (try the Haddock Mornay, its too good to miss!) with a smile.
Breakfast consisted of a buffet with fresh fruit juices, all kinds of fruits, yoghurts, granola's, meats, fish (including oysters), sushi, all kinds of breads, champagne...and this doesnt include the menu you can choose from!

We went to the gym twice which was very well equipped and had good views of the waterfront. The best hotel gym we have come across.

We also went to the spa on a day that was rainy; i had a massage which was nice, But my favorite part of the spa is the sauna, with an amazing view of the waterfront, it feels so special! The pool & jacuzzi are good too.

Reception staff was friendly and helpfull as well. As people have mentioned the hotel is next to the convention centre, where they have an ATM machine which is handy. And also there are always taxis outside, as well as a free shuttle to go to the V&A Waterfront.

All in all a good hotel, and considering we used our Starwood points a good deal. If you are coming for a holiday though and want an authentic African experience, I would not recommend this hotel. But if you are a business travelller or looking for some good comfort for a (few) night(s), The Westin is your place!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Executive Floor for great views; which also gives you breakfast and drinks & cana...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Naomi86
Dear Naomi86

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel.

We are happy to know you enjoyed your time with us at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

I stayed here are part of a convention.

First off the hotel is very well located, both to explore the city as a tourist as for hosting an event. The Weston has a very nice event space in the building and is attached to the Cape Town convention center. So you can’t really go wrong for location. There is a free shuttle that will take you down to the waterfront every 30 minutes.

The service is superb. The staff are just excellent from the front desk to the bar, from the maids to the concierges. You can’t really ask for anything more.

I was on the executive floor, but my room was very comfortable, clean and well appointed. So high marks for that.

BUT there are two things that would make me never come here again for a conference.

1. The internet absolutely stinks. For an event that was relying on a good connection for exhibits and discussion areas as well as online production facilities, it was close to a disaster. They have one 6mg line in that is shared by everyone in the hotel. It was nearly impossible to get on and nearly impossible to stay on. We had to switch over to roaming phone data connections to get any kind of stability. Frustrating and expensive. They gave us different passwords, told up that they were allocating dedicated space to us but nothing made any difference. That would be a deal breaker for me if I was looking to have an event at this location. If you just want to check a few email I suppose its OK (though at peak hours you won’t be able to connect), but for any kind of serious work, the Weston is not a place with reliable wifi connections.

2. The Louis tavern/bar is dreadful. This made no sense to me as there are terrific places to eat on the waterfront and lots of fresh food to be had. There is also a little executive breakfast area on the 19th floor which has great food. But the food in the main restaurant was dry, overcooked, bland and uninspired. Event participants were leaving the event location to find better food by the second day. I mean really, this is the Weston! On vacation or at an event, skip the Weston for food or it could give you a very bad impression of South African cuisine. With the waterfront a 5 minute drive away, you are far better off going there. The staff was great, but the food... bad bad bad.

So overall, the location is great, the rooms are nice and the staff wonderful. Its a good choice for tourist visit to the city. However for an event, despite the great location, the Weston’s serious flaws in internet service and food would not bring me back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter F
Dear MrPete

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I regards to the internet connection, we are already working with our third party supplier to look into ways to improve our internet offering and bring it up to par with international standards. We do pride ourselves in exceptionally high standards of service and I do sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.

I was sorry to learn of your dissapointment with the meal offered to you in Louis B's. As tastes vary, we have to try and gauge which types of meals will be popular on any given occasion of the year. Please be assured, we do value all guest comments and I have reviewed the issues and raised them with our Director of Food & Beverage.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments.As a Management Team , we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues.

Porto, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

I don't think we could have found a better place to stay in South Africa. Fantastic location, right next to the exhibition center, friendly and helpful staff, and problem solving skills.

The only downside was having a smoking and spirits lounge, where most of the best whiskeys were out of stock.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Dear rftavares

Your comments with regards to the smoking lounge have been noted and passed on to the Director of Food & Beverage for action and follow up.

We look forward to welcoming you again when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

vacoas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

very nice and clean hotel the toilet and rooms were of high standard ,but a bit too calm and no real life happening there ,the bar was too calm ,they need some more people to entertain the guests, the staff are a too slow and in a sleeping mood

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear vellVacoas

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

We were pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, however have duly noted your comments with regards to more entertainment in the bar and other hotel outlets.

We do hope to welcome you to the Westin Cape Town again when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed here for three nights in ordinary rooms. Didn't pay for breakfast or club floors as we intended to eat out.

Its a perfectly fine hotel, close to major sites and also the main roads. Concierge service for our car was in particular very prompt and efficient. They do a shuttle to the V&A Waterfront (frankly the V&A is fairly awful but shuttle is nice). Rooms were spacious and well-maintained. They also offer free wifi, a big plus point to our party. Recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Dear Sean M

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

I've stayed at the Westin many times for business and also recently came with a partner. No, it's not a luxury hotel. No, they don't have private butlers. Yet I love the place.

Location:
This is, first and foremost, a business hotel. Thus, while I'd prefer to stay on the slopes of Table Mountain, the Westin is well located for business meetings. It's central to pretty much everything.

Service:
Very solid. While people don't go out of their way to help you, they're reasonable friendly and efficient.

Rooms:
Decent size rooms with ridiculously comfortable beds. That said, I hate the toiletries here. They feel cheap.

Breakfast:
Oddly, I find this hotel has by far the best breakfast of anywhere I've stayed, including more upmarket offerings. The food is very good, and the variety is unbelievable.

Overall:
If you are looking for a solid business hotel, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear 152958

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Westin when next your travels take you to Cape Town.