“Frist impression”

Ranked #25 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Nederland
“Frist impression”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

I am staying at the Westin. First impression: staff is very friendly. Early checkin was no problem. We ate at Arabella. Sublime food. Waittress was super friendly. Breakfast this morning at the Executive Club: sashimi, fresh tropical fruits, perfect cappuccino.
But: internet could be improved. Why only 24 hour acces? Very instable.
This is our wedding anniversary: I look forward to the rest of our stay here.
Update will follow

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Dear MTBNederland

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the internet connectivity issues you experienced, during December we upgraded our internet service provider to be able to offer a more stable and faster connection.

We hope to see you again very soon when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

Starwood Preferred Guest
Westin is proud to be part of the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) program, the premier award-winning hotel loyalty program. Members of the SPG program earn valuable Starpoints® across all Westin hotels and resorts as well as Starwood’s eight other distinctive hotel brands. Members can redeem Starpoints for Free Night Awards with no blackout dates or capacity controls at over 1000 hotels and resorts worldwide. Starpoints can also be redeemed toward Award Flights on over 350 airlines, merchandise, and more. Becoming a member is free at spg.com/join

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 13 December 2012

This is a 5-star, luxury hotel in the heart of Cape Town, physically connected to the convention center and close to the V&A Waterfront. I was upgraded to an Executive Club floor room had panoramic views of Cape Town and was in a quiet location. The staff are friendly and service is one of the best I have received anywhere. For tourists, it's right next to the pick-up location for the sightseeing bus and is on the list for stops for tours departing Cape Town. The hotel was a free shuttle that runs to the V&A Waterfront 9am - 11:30pm, an shopping mall/harbor development (sort of like the ones in Sydney and San Francisco) that has lots of shopping and dining options. There is a fullly-stafed, dedicated travel desk just to help with travel arrangements from taxis to tours so you'll be well taken care of. For business travelers, it is next to the convention center and central to the business district with fast WiFi.

Also, the club lounge is absolutely legendary, perhaps the best hotel lounge I've ever been to. It is large with panoramic views of Cape Town, including Table Mountain and new 2010 FIFA World Cup stadium. It serves a full commentary breakfast buffet (juices, fruits, pastries, meats, cheeses, sushi, coffee, expresso, yogurts, the list goes on) during the morning and appetizers in the evening. On top of that, it is open 24/7 for free coffee, etc.

The only issue I had was that the hotel could not accommodate the guaranteed 4pm late check out for me as SPG Platinum. This is usually the case at properties connected to a convention center, so I did expect it. However, the staff were willing bend the rules and let me check out at 2pm instead of 12pm - which was much appreciated. The even staff arranged for me to take a shower in the spa after check-out - and everyone was consistently helpful!

Overall, you can't beat this combination of location and service in Cape Town.

Room Tip: Executive Club Floor rooms not he 18th and 19th floor have amazing views and 24/7 lounge access
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Dear mrworldwide87

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel.

We were very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

Westin Growth
Having established a firm footing and ever-growing presence in North America, Westin is now aggressively migrating around the globe. With an unprecedented opportunity for international growth, the Westin brand is at a pivotal point in its history and quickly establishing itself as an international market leader. Today, more than half of Westin hotels are in the United States, but 90% of the brand’s pipeline is outside the United States. In 2011, Westin will open 12 new hotels worldwide in markets including China, India, Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, the United States and Canada. The brand’s growth in China is second only to Sheraton among Starwood brands. Already a market leader in Beijing and Shanghai, Westin has seven hotels in China and is poised to more than double its footprint there over the next two years, debuting eight new hotels in key markets including Guangzhou, Xian and Nanjing.

Odense, Denmark
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Absolutely recommendable hotel. Nice and well equiped rooms with spacy bathrooms. Very friendly, professionnel and prompt service. Breakfast is great and choices are abundant. Prices for food and beverage are absolutely reasonable. The hotel is a little far away from everything but we used the free shuttle bus to the Waterfront, nice area with shops and restaurants and bars.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Camilla B

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town.

We do hope to welcome you again when your travels take you to Cape Town.

SuperFoodsRx® menu
SuperFoods dishes powerfully pair whole foods to boost their flavors and their benefits. SuperFoods include fruits, vegetables, grains and proteins that are known to improve well-being and longevity. Antioxidant-rich and naturally low in calories, these tempting selections make healthful meals impossible to resist. Westin is the first hotel to embrace the SuperFoods concept and introduce these delectable, good-for-you choices to breakfast and in-room dining menus.

Clifton, Virginia
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This is more of a business hotel in Cape Town. It connects to the new convention center that is really nice. Overall the hotel was good, the lobby is well done, the included breakfast very good and the rooms nice. The bathroom was great with the large shower, a heated floor and dual sinks. There is a free shuttle to the waterfront and all the staff were very helpful. There are no close by restaurants but taxis abound. The rooftop restaurant is pretty good but not 5 star, reasonably priced for what it is. There is a Europcar rental in the lobby which is convenient but I found the Hertz up the road was a lot cheaper (I rented two cars a couple of days apart). In both car rental cases you should book a day or two in advance so they can get a car from the airport. I am knocking a star off because I was there a whole week on business and the internet was down for three days and then off and on for a few more. That is unacceptable in a business hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear Pjay99

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get.

I do apologize for the internet connectivity issues you experienced. During December we upgraded our internet service provider to be able to offer a faster and stable connection to our guests. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience this caused you.

Signature Heavenly® Programs
Guests enjoy an amazingly restful night’s sleep, which revitalizes the body and brain. The world-renowned Westin Heavenly Bed features lush sheets, down cushioning and our patented pillow-top mattress, which cradles and contours to the body for complete comfort. Another industry first, the Heavenly Bath creates an invigorating spa-like experience, enhanced with our Heavenly Shower® Heavenly® Robe and exclusive White Tea Aloe bath amenities.

Thank you once again for posting your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you again when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

Athena_C
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I would say Westin Capetown delivers the service consistency that is expected from a typical SPG 5 star hotel, there maybe lack of personal touch but there is nothing much to criticize. However, the incident that impressed me most was their prompt reply to email inquiry. I wrote to them 2 days before my arrival asking about usage of freezer for storage of breastmilk (as I am a nursing mother and my baby was not travelling with me). I got an immediate reply and upon checked-in, the manager on duty was already informed about my request, thank you Zara and your team!

We stayed at the Executive floor, great view of the harbour and part of the Table mountain. We absolutely loved the breakfast (both at ground floor and the executive floor), obviously choice is abundant at the ground floor buffet, however we also enjoyed a quiet breakfast at the executive floor where we ordered some delicious pan-cake.

Room is a bit small, but well equipped with coffee maker, trouser press, tile heater (not used as weather was quite warm) and other standard facilities. I didn't like the mini bar as they had filled it up entirely and there was no space for me to even chill a small can of Coke! Also, as I was meddling with the beverages in the mini bar trying to find some space, they charged me for consuming one of the canned drink upon checked-out. We said "no, we didn't consume anything" and they removed from the bill without much hassle.

As there is nothing much around the hotel, we used the free shuttle to V&A waterfront quite frequently (please take note there are 2 breaks for lunch & dinner). We also tried the dinner served at the executive floor, quite good for the price and ambience (about ZAR260~320 without wine).

To sum it up, a very good hotel, friendly staff and good service!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Dear Athena_C

It was nice to hear that our Guest Services exceeded your expectations. they work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special.

Signature Heavenly® Programs

Thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to welcome you again when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

be well
Malibu, California
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Here are the good points:
Location. It is right next to the convention center.
Room on the Executive Floor. The room itself is four star quality but mine did not have floor to ceiling windows as advertised. There is a great breakfast served in a room on the executive floor but after breakfast this room becomes a restaurant for the public. In other hotels where you stay on an executive or club floor there is a room where you can lounge during the day and have cocktails in the evening. Not so here, However knowing that I would stay on the executive floor again.
Complementary wifi. Other hotels in Cape Town charge an extraordinary fee for wifi access so this is a definite plus.
The infinity pool and Jacuzzi are small and indoor but next to an all glass wall on the 17th floor giving you panoramic views of the city, Table Mountain and waterfront. I thought it was spectacular and went every day.
Service: courteous and never ending, I needed an electrical plug adapter and the front clerk personally a brought one to my room immediately.
Food costs for eating and drinks in the hotel were very reasonable.
Across the street from the "hop on hop off" bus which has two routes and will take you to every sight in the area.
Not so good points
Location. It is next to the convention center but nothing else. You are not in the center of an area where everything is at your doorstep. However, they do have a shuttle bus which will take you to and from the waterfront ever 30 minutes. The waterfront is a thriving area full of shops, restaurants, bars and shopping.
I very much enjoyed staying at this hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone coming to Cape Town.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Dear Taniquan

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town.

Most of our rooms have floor to ceiling windows, except our corner rooms, although these also provide large windows with spectacular views.

Our Westin Executive Club on the 19th Floor provides a club lounge for our SPG members.

A Sensory Welcome
The sensory-rich environment at Westin offers a respite from the rigors of travel and sets a welcoming tone. Upon entering the lobby, guests begin to breathe more easily as they are greeted with soothing elements like relaxed lighting, natural botanical beauty and stimulating music. The signature White Tea by Westin fragrance lightly infuses all common spaces

We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

be well
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in October.
The hotel is well located in walking distance of the mall and many other attractions and also offers a free shuttle to and from the VA waterfront with its many shops and restaurants.
For those exploring CapeTown for the first time there is a Hop On Hop Off Bus stop conveniently located only 50 metres from the hotel.
As one would expect for a hotel in this price range the room facilities were very good and the staff very polite and courteous.
As a smoker who stays in non-smoking rooms the cigar lounge was much appreciated as it enabled me to enjoy my addiction without having to loiter in the hotel driveway.
We can recommend the Westin and would consider staying here again when next in Cape Town.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear SCS62

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel.

We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

The Westin Difference
The Westin Difference makes healthful choices irresistibly appealing – offering innovative programs that ensure our guests feel well rested, well nourished and well cared for. Westin understands that feeling good flows from a relaxing and comfortable environment where careful attention is given to the most important components of a guest’s stay. At every Westin Hotel and Resort, in the world’s most exhilarating destinations, discerning travelers discover just how good it feels to stay with us