“Good and Bad”

Ranked #24 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
London
“Good and Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in the executive club rooms and felt that this was not up to the standards of other Westin hotels, or hotels within the Starwood group.

Dealing with the good first, I cannot fault the staff who were keen and helpful, the rooms were cleaned well and the turndown service in the evening was appreciated. The food in the club room was good (but more of that later) and the staff did remember our drinks order. As others have mentioned there is a shuttle to the V&A which is useful though sometimes the departure times from the V&A can be a little flexible! and of course lots of people use the shuttle so getting a seat in the evening time can be a bit of a squeeze, thankfully I am used to commuting on London underground so it was no different for me.

Now onto the bad, for some reason and I never got a clear answer (and no it wasnt my cell phone) for 3 days on the trot my key card would not work when we got back to the hotel, now after a tiring day sight seeing it is not ideal to have to go back down 17 floors and get new keys cut, and somehow this simple task meant I lost wifi because it thought my account was closed. There was no real apology other than the usual platitudes and no idea why it was happening.

Onto the club lounge it is rather strange that you are only allowed to use a smal part of it in the evening for happy hour, the vast majority of the lounge is given over to a restaurant. Now I can understand why, you have stunning views of the harbour and Table Mountain, but in all the time I was there I only ever saw one table actually used for a booking prior to 7pm, so we all had to sit squashed in while a vast area went unused. Plus in other Westins, and other club lounges you are given a choice of wines, there you werent, it was whatever was open, and again all the others have provided buffet food for you pick at, here they provide you with crisps and olives along with 3 selections to nibble on. Again a lot of this probably comes back to the restaurant taking up a lot of space which frankly is not being used at that time.

Overall this hotel is ok, it has a good location, stunning views and good staff but for those who paid for the benefit of executive club rooms value for money was not given and I do think they could better use the space occupied by the restaurant to give the guests a better experience.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steveessex2
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Dear steveessex2

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town.

I reviewed your comments, with regards to the Westin Executive Lounge, due to limited space available on the 19th floor, this was the best available area to provide our SPG members with a lounge area, to ensure they enjoy the spectacular views. Our catering is in line with our Westin brand standards as dictated by our head office Starwood. We apologize, if you feel they were not adequate.

I am truly sorry that we could not assist you with a solution as to why your key card did not work. I have addressed your concerns with my Management Team to avoid similar incidents in the future.

We do hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Westin when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a convention in the immediately adjacent convention center, to which it is obviously very convenient. It is also close to the V&A waterfront, but requires ~20 minute walk and a shuttle van (not always reliable) at night.
The room and, as always, the Westin bed were very comfortable. We loved the heated tiles in the bath, although the tilt of the walk-in shower resulted in a leak onto the bathroom floor unless shower volume was turned down.
The "Thirty-7" restaurant provided a good buffet breakfast (included in our room rate), but lunch there was terrible. I also hesitated to eat there because there was no soap (not even a dispenser) in the men's room. I hope it wasn't the employee's rest room too!

Room Tip: Avoid room 236! It looks out on a highway, although noise reduction was pretty good. Higher floors...
Dear BSOfan

We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town and hope to see you again soon when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

In-Room Spa Services
Restore energy and relieve stress with a menu of custom treatments developed especially for Westin In-Room Spa services. Guests can indulge in the experience of a soothing spa getaway in the privacy of their own room. Many resort locations also offer peaceful healing in beautifully designed on-site spas where innovative therapies help guests get back to their best selves.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

I've stayed at the Westin on numerous occasions.. It's a perfect 5 Star business hotel, directly linked to the Cape Town International Convention Centre. Service is excellent and ver professional- but also deeply courteous and friendly. Rooms are extremely comfortable with great bathrooms and showers. If you're lucky enough to stay in a Club Room the Club Lounge on the 19th floor serves a good breakfast with amazing views. The Westin also has a great spa on the 19th floor with one of the best located jacuzzi an sauna you'll see anywhere.

Room Tip: Try for a room higher up. Either side you'll get a great view - over Table Bay on the one side...
Dear David G

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel.

We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town and look forward to welcome you again when next you travel to Cape Town.

Starwood Preferred Guest
Westin is proud to be part of the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) program, the premier award-winning hotel loyalty program. Members of the SPG program earn valuable Starpoints® across all Westin hotels and resorts as well as Starwood’s eight other distinctive hotel brands. Members can redeem Starpoints for Free Night Awards with no blackout dates or capacity controls at over 1000 hotels and resorts worldwide. Starpoints can also be redeemed toward Award Flights on over 350 airlines, merchandise, and more. Becoming a member is free at spg.com/join

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

Stayed here in Feb 2013 for one week on business and upon arriving I was very impressed! Downtown location with a short stroll to the Waterfront (although not sure I would walk around in South Africa) and having stayed at many Westin's in the past, I thought this seemed the best one!

Check-in was very quick and the stay in the hotel are great! The room was pleasant and spacious however some aspects appeared tired. For example, the bed was not as firm or cozy as I've experienced at other Westin's, they could've been replaced in my opinion; also carpet didn't appear to be very comfortable to walk on barefooted. Not a great selection of TV channels, as a business traveller, having something to watch in the evenings after a days work would've been nice.

The gym at the hotel is very good and well equipped. A little small and equipment is bunched together but great views of the city nonetheless.

Room service is poor at this hotel, selection isn't great, the standard offering to be honest. However, the buffet breakfast is great at this hotel and they even do fresh breakfast smoothies which is a nice touch!

Finally, as a business travellers and in the IT business, it's really frustrating when hotels do not have decent wifi speeds; however they do allow for unlimited devices which is good when you carry around a number of them.

Dear kmalho

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel.

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

I reviewed your comments with regards to the internet connection / speed, you will be happy to know, we recently upgraded our server to be able to provide a much faster and more reliable connection.

SuperFoodsRx® menu
SuperFoods dishes powerfully pair whole foods to boost their flavors and their benefits. SuperFoods include fruits, vegetables, grains and proteins that are known to improve well-being and longevity. Antioxidant-rich and naturally low in calories, these tempting selections make healthful meals impossible to resist. Westin is the first hotel to embrace the SuperFoods concept and introduce these delectable, good-for-you choices to breakfast and in-room dining menus.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

Our trip actually took place in August fo 2010.
All the staff were unfailingly polite, impeccably friendly and consistently helpful. The rooms were spotless, comfortable and very well furnished. My wife really loved the decor. The view from the executive centre was glorious.
Meals were excellent - we particularly enjoyed the choices at breakfast. Our best experience came when we sought the management's help with a luggage handling matter (we sought secure storage for several days for some of our bags while we travelled across the country far a Kruger-area safari). The responded swiftly and kindly. They agreed to look after our bags even though they were aware that we would not be spending any more time in their hotel when we returned to Cape Town. This was going above and beyond - a generosity we will definitely remember when we pick a hotel for our next visit to this magnificent city.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Deji O

We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town and we do hope to see you again when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

Signature Heavenly® Programs
Guests enjoy an amazingly restful night’s sleep, which revitalizes the body and brain. The world-renowned Westin Heavenly Bed features lush sheets, down cushioning and our patented pillow-top mattress, which cradles and contours to the body for complete comfort. Another industry first, the Heavenly Bath creates an invigorating spa-like experience, enhanced with our Heavenly Shower® Heavenly® Robe and exclusive White Tea Aloe bath amenities.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Theres really nothing negative I can say about this hotel. I stayed here for 7 nights during the second week of February 2013, and was blown away by the exceptional level of service, the amazing location, and the quality of the rooms and the building in general. I have a family member who works for Starwood Hotels, so I have stayed at their properties all over the world. This was among the best I have ever stayed at. You will not be disappointed if you stay here. They have a free shuttle to the V&A Waterfront every 30 minutes, and their valets are very quick to assist you with transportation to other areas of the city. We also booked a shark cage tour through their activities desk, which was absolutely fantastic and surprisingly reasonable cost wise. The food was also great. Absolutely fantastic hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Brian D

Thank you for your positive review of our Hotel.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope to welcome you again when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

The Westin Difference
The Westin Difference makes healthful choices irresistibly appealing – offering innovative programs that ensure our guests feel well rested, well nourished and well cared for. Westin understands that feeling good flows from a relaxing and comfortable environment where careful attention is given to the most important components of a guest’s stay. At every Westin Hotel and Resort, in the world’s most exhilarating destinations, discerning travelers discover just how good it feels to stay with us.

taichung
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of our South African vacation and at the end of it and both times we experienced highs and lows. The bell-hops, valets and the staff for breakfast on the 19th floor were at all times friendly, courteous and were definitely the high points. The location is very central if you are going to go all around Cape Town and the free shuttle bus to the waterfront is very convenient (the bus departs from the hotel on the hour and on the half hour, returning at quarter past and at quarter to the hour. Maybe they should put the information in a booklet in the rooms). The swimming pool on the 19th floor looks amazing and the view is spectacular but there is only room for 2 people to swim laps and only 5 deck chairs. There is also a jacuzzi but I don't like getting cozy with strangers nor splashed so when others came to the pool area I had to leave and I only swam once. The wifi is spotty and there are two methods of connecting, either with your room number and surname or with a voucher number. Entering my surname and room number didn't work most times and gave me an "incorrect information" message which was rather fustrating and the voucher numbers kept changing so I had to call down almost daily to access the web which was a hassle. Next time I think I will try a smaller boutique hotel or a luxury B&B.

Room Tip: The Westin is next to a very busy road so try to get a higher floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear alextaiwan

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town.

Due to an internet upgrade in the last two months we did experience some downtime and difficulties, however rest assured, we are able to provde a much faster and more reliable connection.

We do hope to welcome you again when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

The Westin Difference