“Average Business Hotel”

The Westin Cape Town
Ranked #27 of 111 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I was there for a full week. There are some positives and negatives – Overall I would say the place is average. But it seems to lack personality to me and was stark at times. This is odd for South Africa which certainly doesn’t lack personality!

Pros:
Unbeatable views from the room I was provided
Excellent views from top floor restaurant
Nice rain shower and heated floor in bathroom
Should note, I was there for a conference in the hotel basement and they seemed to do a fine job on conference arrangements

Cons:
Arranged for airport pickup, they forgot me at the arrivals terminal
Disagreeable front desk staff, each time I approached it
Food at the restaurant was average (I ate there at least 7 times)
No executive lounge – it’s been turned into a restaurant on top floor
I had breakfast on top floor, thank goodness for the views b/c a la carte service extremely slow
They didn’t deposit star points to my account after check out

--I think I’ll try somewhere else next time for comparison purposes

--Wouldn’t recommend the concierge/lounge package probably not worth it because it’s a restaurant

The redeeming factor is the location near waterfront and Table Mountain views, without these it would be a miss...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank _Mundo_Traveler_11
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Ask_Mundo_Traveler_11

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town.

I reviewed your comments with regards to your travel arrangement, restaurant & lounge service as well as the comments with regards to the posting of Star Points. As Management we take all comments serious and I thank you for posting yours.

Due to space limitations, our Westin Executive Club Restaurant also accommodates our Executive Lounge. Lounge facilities are avaialbel during the day as well as our Canape hour which is hosted from 17h00 - 19h00 daily. we apoligize if you felt these services to be inadequate.

Star Points are posted after your stay by SPG International, the hotel does not post points to members accounts.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and do hope we may have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Westin Cape Town.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Cape Town

Reviewed 15 October 2013

This hotel is directly connected to the conference center so it is very convenient if you go there for a meeting. It also provides a shuttle to the waterfront where you can find many good restaurants, shops, museums and an aquarium. It is important since there are only 2 restaurants inside the hotel which serve similar dishes.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nelson L

Dear Nelson L

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

In-Room Spa Services
Restore energy and relieve stress with a menu of custom treatments developed especially for Westin In-Room Spa services. Guests can indulge in the experience of a soothing spa getaway in the privacy of their own room. Many resort locations also offer peaceful healing in beautifully designed on-site spas where innovative therapies help guests get back to their best selves.

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Can't say enough about the concierge and staff at this property!! Thanks for making my Xmas such a great experience. Room was amazing...lounge was beyond great and all of my meals were so great!! Zara took special care of all my tours and the private tour to the wineries and cheetah rescue made my trip.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear AL Travel_everywhere

We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town. It was nice to hear that Zara & our Concierge Team exceeded your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

SPG Restaurant and Bars
Life is even more delicious when you season it with variety. Enjoy a wide range of SPG dining experiences for large gatherings, intimate dinners and everything in between — all with exclusive offers for SPG members.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

After a reasonable 1 night stay in which I was put on one of the top "club" floors (during which time there was no club as it was closed for some reason), I found out upon checkout I was being charged an extra $60 for the privilege - there had been no mention previously and as a Plat member, I had only assumed. I didn't argue as I needed to get to the airport, but made a note to try to alert others that this hotel management has some games they will play. The location is OK for the tourist waterfront, but it's mostly a convention place. If you're looking for something a little more central and authentic (and honest), look elsewhere. For a short stay as a tourist it's fine.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear dale_uark

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments with regards to the surcharge for club privileges at the Westin Cape Town. Should the Westin Executive Lounge be closed due to a private function, the cancape hour is relocated to our Ground Floor Restaurant and Bar. Club members enjoy the same service throughout their stay.

We do take all comments serious and appreciate all the feedback we can get. Thank you for choosing the Westin and we do hope to welcome you again when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

Arabella Spa
Treat yourself to a Heavenly Spa experience that awakens your senses. From healing massages, to cleansing facials and energizing body treatments, every element of your spa visit is designed to help you feel your best.

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of October 2013. My check in was swift and I got an amazing corporate rate so got club lounge access and room on the higher floor. This for me was the best part, the room was huge with its own office area and a nice view of table mountain.

The bathroom had heated flooring which was a really nice touch, extremely cosy in the evenings!

Service was of a high standard, particularly in the club lounge, the breakfast was simply amazing, they had some super healthy options which I absolutely loved, special juices, fresh granola and certain super fruits. The views on the 19th floor for the club access breakfast was beautiful, and a la carte breakfast options for the hot items was another nice touch.

The gym was a little small , as with most hotel gyms , particularly in the free weights and open space, but again they capitalize on view from the gym too being on the 19th floor. I used the spa too which for international standards was very reasonably priced. The Sauna was unique and a must to try , first Sauna I've used that capitalizes on the spectacular view. The service in the spa could have been a bit better, not quite my Dubai standards, but nevertheless the massage was relaxing and professional and the water bed with heated blanket in the relaxation room at the end was very pleasant.

There is also a shuttle bus to the waterfront every half hour which is convenient, and a stop on the hop on and off bus 1 min away, which was perfect!!! They also have a travel desk for excursions and a special service desk for club guests.

Overall it was hard to fault this hotel, very safe, excellent value for money, top notch service, I'd definitely go back.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mr_Nadeem_Uddin

Dear Gb805680

We were delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town.

It was nice to hear that our services exceeded your expectations. Thank you for choosing the Westin and we hope to see you again very soon.

• Combine your workout routine with fresh air and local scenery with our RunWESTIN℠ program. We’ve teamed up with New Balance® to provide with 5 and 10km routes through the city, along the beach or into rural landscapes. Runners of all levels are welcome to join a group run with our Run Concierge or grab a running map and take off on their own. Either way, you’ll be welcomed back with a fresh towel or cold bottled water.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I liked this hotel. The rooms are clean and comfortable and plenty spacious. Beds are comfortable. The hotel is out of the touristy area of the V & A Waterfront (shops, restaurants, etc) but provides a free shuttle back and forth that runs every half hour. Service and food are both good. It is by the convention center so designed more for the business traveler but is a good spot for the leisure traveler as well.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy L

Dear Tracy L

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel.

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to welcome you again when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

WestinWORKOUT
• State-of-the-art and well equipped, the WestinWORKOUT gym helps keep fitness routines active while on the road. Guests can energize with a wide choice of treadmills and bikes for heart-pumping cardio, tone up with strength machines and free weights or flex in open areas for stretching or yoga. This first-class facility also keeps guests hydrated and entertained. Select locations offer customized WestinWORKOUT guestrooms with in-room equipment for all performance levels.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

As a SPG plat, we were upgraded to a corner suite. The floor-to-ceiling window offered a great view of Table mountain and waterfront. The room was modern and functional - great size for the junior suite, good closet space, nice division of living room and bed room.

Breakfast at the executive lounge was one of the best I've seen in numerous SPG properties. The selection was great (it even had oyster!). The view from the lounge was also stunning. For the evening canapé hour, I wasn't so thrilled the idea of designated area for plat members vs. paid dinner customers. But breakfast probably made up for that.

Spa service wasn't so impressive; however, the facility was great. You could enjoy swimming, foot bath, and sauna overlooking waterfront as the spa is located on the same floor as the executive lounge.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wildcatm

Dear wildcatm

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. We thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cape Town where customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

We look forward to having you stay with us again when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

Make a green choice
• The less water, energy and other resources we use, the more there is to go around. Reward yourself with a $5 voucher at participating food and beverage outlets or 500 Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints® awarded at check out for each night you decline housekeeping services (except day of departure). Conservation matters. Make A Green Choice. Guest is eligible to participate if staying for more than 2 nights and can choose one of the following for every night he declines housekeeping services:
R45.00 credit at F&B or 500 SPG Starpoints® or Donating 500 SPG Starpoints® to UNICEF