I have stayed at the Westin Cape Town a couple of times, always for business. But this past visit inspired me to write a review (something I do not get inspired to do frequently.)
My recent 8-night stay was also for work, much of it involving a conference across the street at the convention center. As always, my room was wonderful - spacious, well appointed and well maintained, great products in the bath, etc. I used the restaurant and room service multiple times - the food was great and the service was efficient and friendly. I especially loved the included breakfast buffet - something I actually looked forward to every day.
But none of that is what inspired me to write this review. My inspiration came via the story below....
On my departure from Cape Town, I left my expensive smart phone in the backseat of the taxi that took me to the airport. Yesterday, I got that phone delivered to my door - thanks to staff at the Westin (especially the porter named Nazeem), and thanks to a wonderful taxi driver named Justice.
Rather than depositing me and my luggage in one of the taxis in the queue outside the hotel, Nazeem asked me if he could call a good driver for me, that it would only take a few minutes. I said, sure, why not - I can wait a few minutes. This ended up being a very good decision on both our parts. So, Nazeem called Justice - who picked me up and with whom I had a great conversation all the way to the airport.
I realized I left my phone in the car after I had checked in for my flight - 20 minutes or so after I was dropped off. I was not happy. I went through security and passport control, and thought, well, I will try calling the hotel and connect with Nazeem to see if they might be able to help, contact the driver, see if my phone is still in the back seat, etc. It was a long shot, for sure, but worth a try.
I found a pay phone and called the hotel - and when they hear it is me, the person says "we've been waiting for your call. The driver is looking for you at the airport right now. Can you meet up with him?"
My jaw dropped. I was stunned. This is now close to an hour after I was dropped off - and the driver was looking for me? To return my phone? WOW., Just, WOW. This was not expected. I mean, Justice may have never even noticed the phone was back there, a black phone on a black seat.... it could have fallen on the floor.... it could have fallen between the cushions.... another passenger could have taken it, etc etc....
I told them I was not able to go back through passport and security, and my plane was getting ready to board, but could they contact Justice, thank him profusely, and ask him to bring the phone back to the hotel when he had a chance, so that the hotel could then send it to me?
Well, Justice did return my phone to the Westin, and the great folks in the business center, including Jayd Thomas, arranged for DHL to ship the phone back to me in Chicago. And as I said, I got that phone back, safe and sound, yesterday - eight days after I left it in the taxi.
There are wonderful people in this world - as exemplified by this story. I am very grateful to Justice and Nazeem, and the rest of the Westin staff who not only made my stay comfortable and pleasurable, but who helped me with this situation. I will be back - and hope to thank everyone in person.
But for now - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in one of the most popular destinations in the world, at the gateway to the historic V&A Waterfront, The Westin Grand Cape Town Arabella Quays is only minutes away from excellent shopping, vibrant city night life, historical monuments and museums, iconic Table Mountain, and the pristine beaches of Clifton and Camps Bay. The hotel offers unlimited complimentary shuttle transfers to the V&A Waterfront. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Starwood EMEA, Booking.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your The Westin Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Westin Cape Town
- Cape Town Westin
- The Westin Cape Town South Africa