“Excllent accomodations, and even better service”

The Westin Cape Town
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Chicago, Illinois
“Excllent accomodations, and even better service”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I have stayed at the Westin Cape Town a couple of times, always for business. But this past visit inspired me to write a review (something I do not get inspired to do frequently.)

My recent 8-night stay was also for work, much of it involving a conference across the street at the convention center. As always, my room was wonderful - spacious, well appointed and well maintained, great products in the bath, etc. I used the restaurant and room service multiple times - the food was great and the service was efficient and friendly. I especially loved the included breakfast buffet - something I actually looked forward to every day.

But none of that is what inspired me to write this review. My inspiration came via the story below....

On my departure from Cape Town, I left my expensive smart phone in the backseat of the taxi that took me to the airport. Yesterday, I got that phone delivered to my door - thanks to staff at the Westin (especially the porter named Nazeem), and thanks to a wonderful taxi driver named Justice.

Rather than depositing me and my luggage in one of the taxis in the queue outside the hotel, Nazeem asked me if he could call a good driver for me, that it would only take a few minutes. I said, sure, why not - I can wait a few minutes. This ended up being a very good decision on both our parts. So, Nazeem called Justice - who picked me up and with whom I had a great conversation all the way to the airport.

I realized I left my phone in the car after I had checked in for my flight - 20 minutes or so after I was dropped off. I was not happy. I went through security and passport control, and thought, well, I will try calling the hotel and connect with Nazeem to see if they might be able to help, contact the driver, see if my phone is still in the back seat, etc. It was a long shot, for sure, but worth a try.

I found a pay phone and called the hotel - and when they hear it is me, the person says "we've been waiting for your call. The driver is looking for you at the airport right now. Can you meet up with him?"

My jaw dropped. I was stunned. This is now close to an hour after I was dropped off - and the driver was looking for me? To return my phone? WOW., Just, WOW. This was not expected. I mean, Justice may have never even noticed the phone was back there, a black phone on a black seat.... it could have fallen on the floor.... it could have fallen between the cushions.... another passenger could have taken it, etc etc....

I told them I was not able to go back through passport and security, and my plane was getting ready to board, but could they contact Justice, thank him profusely, and ask him to bring the phone back to the hotel when he had a chance, so that the hotel could then send it to me?

Well, Justice did return my phone to the Westin, and the great folks in the business center, including Jayd Thomas, arranged for DHL to ship the phone back to me in Chicago. And as I said, I got that phone back, safe and sound, yesterday - eight days after I left it in the taxi.

There are wonderful people in this world - as exemplified by this story. I am very grateful to Justice and Nazeem, and the rest of the Westin staff who not only made my stay comfortable and pleasurable, but who helped me with this situation. I will be back - and hope to thank everyone in person.

But for now - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JimberlyChicago
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear JimberlyChicago

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at The Westin Cape Town. It was nice to hear that Nazeem and Justice exceeded your expectations. Our customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. I have brought your comments to the attention of those concerned. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Rob Kucera

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Everything from our previous visits was the same. Rooms were very nice... however, the management was not very open in disclosing to us that their concierge level lounge was not open and that those who paid for concierge level would be administered at the restaurant.

Definitely not the ambiance we wanted and not worth the money. We skipped the evening cocktail hour for the most part, what was the use without the awesome views.

If we would have known we would have saved the money.

Have never been disappointed here before, guess there is always a first time. We will probably shift to the Commodore for our next trip, havent been there in a while.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear CJPSanRamon

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our services.

We do pride ourselves on our exceptionally high standard of service and I do sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on this basis of this particular experience and do hope you will permit us an early opportunity to regain your confidence in our services.

Newbury UK
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in late November for the Africa Oil Week held at the Convention Centre.
Everything was modern, smart and functional. Can't fault the accomodation nor the service.

My only grumble and its a big one!

Whilst chilling out in the evening in the Mezzanine bar we were approached brazenly every night by prostitutes. For a 5 star hotel this is unnaceptable. If the managemnt condone this sort of service they should be ashamed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear philhollowayinuk

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

Whilst a number of factors were beyond out control, your comments with regards to the prostitutes on the mezz floor have been brought to our Security Managers attention and appropriate action taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future.

Bellville, South Africa
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

2nd time we've stayed here over a weekend, very close to more touristy things in cape town. Executive club is a must, if only for the views and breakfast on the 19th floor! Staff super friendly and helpful.
No video's to rent however, so our plans to stay in fell flat even though they do show it as an option. The movie channels available are also not really very great, with mnet premier's schedule not even in the tv guide they make available. We streamed videos through the free wifi which worked like a charm. Facilities in the room is great as usual, and the beds really are heavenly!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear robert2323

We do take all comments seriously and appreciate your feedback regarding the TV channels.

Whistler, Canada
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The hotel is in a bit of weird location.... quite aways from the pier and 15 minute walk from the business district and in the middle of a highway. They have a shuttle to get you to main attractions but it's still somewhat of hassle to to just randomly get out and see main attractions of Cape Town. It's next to the convention center- so if that's what you are here for this is the place to stay.

I found the staff very accomodating and the rooms up to and beyond Westin standards. The spa is pretty spectacular at least in one way- they have a steam room with a top floor view the city - not something you see every day and quite frankly something you do want to experience. If it wasn't for their awkward location I would give this place 5 stars. And remember you're paying top dollar to stay here so if you're looking for a deal... good luck.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jurajfox
Dear JurajL

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed at The Westin Cape Town during our recent visit to the city. It's a great experience right from the check in procedures to the room facilities. Most of the rooms have a great view. We had opted for the Executive Club Rooms. These gave us to the Executive Lounge on the 19th floor. We had the option of taking breakfast in the restaurant 'Thirty7' on the Ground Floor or in the Executive Club Room on the 19th floor. We chose the Club Room simply because it has a great view. The bed in the room was pretty spacious and though we had asked for an extra bed for our 5 year old daughter, we did not feel the necessity for the same and therefore didn't put it up. The hotel offers free wifi throughout - in lobby as well as the rooms and the speed of the same is great. All staff - be it the reception, bell boys, porters, housekeeping staff, restaurant staff, etc. are very courteous and helpful. The hotel offers free shuttle service to and fro from the V&A waterfront from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm. - this works really great for guests who are too tired to walk it up to the V&A (which is a 15 min brisk walk) or want to avoid taking a taxi. Overall the location of the hotel is also great - its a 30 min drive from the airport, Greenmarket Square (a shopping area) is at a 10 minute walk from hotel, though I wouldn't advise guests to walk after 5:30 p.m. It's also very close to the V&A waterfront from where ferries to Robben Island depart at 9:00 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm. The V&A also has a shopping mall, various shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Choose the Executive Club Rooms from 14th to 18th floor that either face the Waterfront or Table Mou...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank saurabhvd
Dear saurabhvd

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Westin Cape Town. It was nice to hear that all staff members exceeded your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

portland
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We spent three nights at the Westin Cape Town. We rented a car and this hotel was well situated to be our home base for our day trips. The staff was very helpful, the room had a great view and the comfortable heavenly bed. Our room rate included breakfast which was excellent. I recommend using the club level restaurant and ordering off the menu. The hotel is adjacent to the convention center so there were more business guests than vacationers when we were there but it did not detract from our experience. I struggled with selecting a good hotel for our stay and after visiting Cape Town (which we loved) I am sure we made the right choice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear libbylulu

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town