“First class Hotel in Cape Town”

The Westin Cape Town
Ranked #28 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed twice over a period of two weeks at this wonderful hotel and loved every minute. The first time was only for a night and the second for three nights. The staff is incredible and so are the rooms. We had wonderful views of the Harbor. We had access to the Executive Club level and enjoyed breakfast and afternoon cocktails. This is the hotel of choice for Cape Town.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick P
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear NickP

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

"WestinWORKOUT
State-of-the-art and well equipped, the WestinWORKOUT gym helps keep fitness routines active while on the road. Guests can energize with a wide choice of treadmills and bikes for heart-pumping cardio, tone up with strength machines and free weights or flex in open areas for stretching or yoga. This first-class facility also keeps guests hydrated and entertained. Select locations offer customized WestinWORKOUT guestrooms with in-room equipment for all performance levels. The RunWESTIN program provides local running maps for every hotel with three- and five- mile routes. Select properties offer a change of pace with guided ‘discovery runs’ led by a running concierge. RunWESTIN welcomes back all runners with a fresh towel and cold bottled water. During the week 1 to 9 November 2012 all Westin Hotels across the globe will be launching the New Balance gear lending programme where guests can have fresh, clean New Balance shoes and clothing delivered to their room during their stay, allowing them to pack light and stay fit"

Write a ReviewReviews (2,291)

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I booked in around mid afternoon on a Saturday and expressly asked for a room with a high floor, the fairly unhelpful receptionist took ages to sort out my room and she wasn't a trainee just incompetent at her job unfortunately. She said I was being given a suite due my employer booking the room and then told me it was on the 3rd floor, this hotel has 17 floors, so I said will I get a view, yes of course you will. I was going to be here 5 days so I wanted some view of Cape Town. I went to the room even though I didn't believe her and suffice to say the view looked directly into a roof of the conference centre, the worst view you could imagine after a 16 hour journey I was furious (I've attached the original room view so you can see what I mean) Went back to reception and seriously this bunch need to be replaced, the worst reception team I have come across and I've stayed in a lot of hotels. Eventually I said I'd a room downgrade to get a higher floor, thankfully it was one their better rooms and was excellent. Overall I had a good stay here, the bed was super comfortable, breakfast was excellent as was the hotel minibus and car service. I had access to the club lounge and it was ok but probably one of the worst for service, it had good views but poor service. I decided to have breakfast downstairs in the main restaurant and it was excellent each day both in terms of the food and the service. One evening I had meal in the restaurant as I had arrived back late from work and was surprised just how good the food was. Overall this is a good, safe standard of hotel with great beds I would be happy to stay again. The only real problem area unfortunately for the hotel is the poor reception team which is a pity as they are on the front line of greeting guests and throughout my stay I would say the were consistently poor, never a smile, never that busy and mostly lazy.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear RJB1000

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. We train and remind all our staff to be helpful and courteous and I regret that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Westin. It's a thoroughly modern, comfortable, urban hotel with just about everything you could possibly need. Our room had a gorgeous view of the waterfront and the sea. It also had that amazing Westin heavenly bed which is somehow exactly the same and super comfortable (eg: perfect!) no matter where you may find yourself in the world. Also, the bathroom was spectacular - heated floors and a rain fall shower, glorious. After spending the prior ten days out in the bush, it was a nice luxury. Breakfast (incredible!) and wifi were also included in our room rate, which always makes traveling a bit easier. There are a few different bars, including a cigar bar where you are allowed to smoke inside. The staff was really friendly and super helpful to us, whether it was asking for something to be sent up to our room, just hailing us a taxi or sorting out our bill.

My only very minor complaint is about transportation. We had arranged for someone to pick us up at the airport and when we got through baggage claim, there was no one there, so we hopped into a taxi instead. There is a free shuttle that runs to/from the V&A Waterfront (which you can also walk in about 20 minutes or take a 5 minute cab ride), though we could never quite get it together to catch it.. which is also partially because the hotel changed the pick up spot and forgot to tell us. Luckily cabs are only about US$5 so not a big deal.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view.. literally!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear KatGD

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Cape Town.

We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the transport company not being at the airport on your arrival, please be assured, the issue raised have been addressed and appropriate action taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future.

'In-Room Spa Services
Restore energy and relieve stress with a menu of custom treatments developed especially for Westin In-Room Spa services. Guests can indulge in the experience of a soothing spa getaway in the privacy of their own room. Many resort locations also offer peaceful healing in beautifully designed on-site spas where innovative therapies help guests get back to their best selves'

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed there on a couple a occasions, great place on the city center close to the warf and where the life is. Ideal for meetings, business and the like. Close to most of the shopping area, don't even need a car to move around.

Room Tip: Junior suites a great.......
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear loloDLagos

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Westin Cape Town. Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town

"In-Room Spa Services

Restore energy and relieve stress with a menu of custom treatments developed especially for Westin In-Room Spa services. Guests can indulge in the experience of a soothing spa getaway in the privacy of their own room. Many resort locations also offer peaceful healing in beautifully designed on-site spas where innovative therapies help guests get back to their best selves"

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We were able to book two rooms at a corporate rate for a stay at the Westin in December. This is the second time we have stayed and the second time that we have booked two rooms for one visit.

The car service and shuttle drivers were super professional, helpful and the true joy of our visit. As we were there to explore and shop, the drivers became the face of the hotel and they were marvelous.

Had I not booked the rooms at a deeply discounted rate, I would have complained, not because anything tragic happened, but because there were too many little things that did happen. Like the other recent reviews, I agree that the front desk employees were either terrific or surly - no in between. In their defense the hotel was nearly fully booked and we witnessed a number of very high-maintenance customers demanding service.

In the two rooms we had, neither hair dryer worked. I had to ask multiple times for a hair dryer to be brought to our room, and it only happened after two days. In one of the rooms, the mini-bar was broken, which isn't too big of a deal, but it would have been great to get cold beverages instantly. One entire day there was no television reception. And, the daily room cleaning service was sometimes good, sometimes not so good - one day we had to hunt down toiletries for both rooms. And, it was nearly impossible to get a coffee refill in the mornings during the breakfast buffet - a little teeny tiny thing - but had I paid full price for the rooms, all of these little things would have added up to a very dissatisfied customer.

At check out, I did reiterate that there were broken things and issues and I trust that management will repair and replace as needed. When I checked out, that front desk clerk was amazingly helpful.

I am still going to give the Westin 4 stars, because the shuttle and car service were delightful. The gym is amazing for a hotel gym. The spa is a treasure. The Hair Salon does wonderful work - my party had multiple appointments - though not a Westin franchise, the Hair Salon is good for their foot traffic, with a lot of local business people visiting.

So, even with the little glitches, for a hotel in Africa, everything was fine.

For a five star hotel with five star rates, there is room for improvement.

Room Tip: If it is very windy in Cape Town, and you are a light sleeper, you may want to get a room without a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear tennismomma

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Shuttle services and car service.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with as at the Westin Cape Town. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the inconvenienced caused during your stay ie. hairdryer, minibar and TV reception, please be assured, the issues raised have been addressed and appropriate action taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future.

We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a two week business trip. It was very nice. The lobby and executive lounge were beautiful. My room was nice (although I ended up with a double when I requested a king) and clean with great amenities. I loved the heated tile floor, and in general they were great about restocking the things I used. The gym and spa were fantastic, and the food in the restaurants was always great and reasonably priced. Location is VERY convenient to convention center, although you need the shuttle or a taxi to get anywhere else.

In general, the staff was fantastic. They even helped me book a tour at 2am one night. Another night, they went out of their way to find me in the bar when I had a minor issue with my room.

I did have a few complaints however:
-On several days, my room was not cleaned at all. Since I was working long days, I was generally too exhausted to wait for then to clean it before going to sleep.
-I bit down on broken glass in a room service order! The hotel did go out of their way to remedy it, but it was upsetting.
-It was hard to get a quick meal in the restaurant and WAY too difficult to get caffeine (coffee or tea) in the morning. Sometimes it took 20 minutes to get coffee and often too even longer if I asked for it to go. Very frustrating when I was tired and cranky.
-I was with a big group and they messed up several of the reservations. The hotel was too full to completely remedy this.
-I also noticed the prostitutes in the cigar lounge, but they didn't approach me or anyone in my party.

So overall this is a great hotel, but because of those issues and the price, only three stars from me.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear MD K

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room while staying at Westin Cape Town.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Westin. We do talke all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the issues mentioned in your review. We have shared this with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues.

Again thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

What makes a hotel a five star rating? The amenities/accommodation and the SERVICE of the staff. The amenities where what you would expect but found staff members on reception and management extremely rude and arrogant.

We arrived at the hotel about 11.30pm - we had just come off a flight from Sydney (via Johannesburg)....so very tired. The reception staff (trainee and manager) were unfriendly and could not understand why after a 20 hour travel day we wanted to get to our rooms to sleep - they took their time in organising our check-in. I had booked over 6 months ago two rooms ie. one for my husband and I (King) and one for our children (twin room). I booked club lounge level rooms. That is not what we got. The rooms were 5 floors apart - not on the Club Lounge and the children had a King size bed. The reception staff could not understand why I was annoyed - there was no apology and the Manager just shrugged her shoulders and said that was the best they could do. The hotel was fully booked and I realised that because we were a late check-in, we got the left over rooms. As an SPG member - this is POOR! When ever we have stayed on Club Lounge floors ie. Langham, Four Seasons, Hyatt, Shangri-La, Marco Polo Hotels - we have been provided with a welcome letter and written details of when the Club Lounge is open and what is included. I asked for those details and was verbally told the times and said that was all I was getting. Lift your game Westin - if people book on Club Lounge Floors and pay more - isn't that the least you can do? Even Shuttle times to the Waterfront. The concierge staff could not tell us where the Shuttle picked up from the Waterfront so we ended up catching a Taxi back and forth.

The next morning I phoned the Duty Manager and asked for rooms to be at least on the same floor - this is a family holiday? The Duty Manager said the children could have a room on the same floor but it would be in a room where they would have to make up the sofa bed - not impressed but had to accept it. We asked for the children's bags to be moved to the new room while we were out. We got back in the afternoon to find that none of the afternoon staff knew about the arrangements. Robin, the Duty Manager initially was very rude and could not understand why I was getting annoyed. As per my initial comments - what makes a 5 star hotel...not the marble and glass in reception but the PEOPLE and SERVICE....this hotel doesn't seem to understand this...they can't even communicate with each other ie. handover book???? We were told that the bed in the children's room would not be made up until 6pm. I had told reception and management numerous times we were jet lagged and wanted the facilities available sooner, as my son wanted to have a rest NOT at 6pm but sooner...once again I was treated like I was just being a pain and an annoying guest. Eventually they got the message. After about an hour Robin, the Duty Manager did put a note under our door to apologise for the inconvenience and lack of hotel communication.

The hotel is directly across from the convention centre - on the Saturday night there was school formal. All night we heard the whole event outside including motorbikes bringing students to the formal - so noisy. The glass within the rooms are not noise proof and if there is a high wind, they rattle. Choose a room not on the convention side - as if there is a late function you will hear it. Interesting previous guest comments about hookers - at about 3am we heard music and lots of banging in the room above (another corner suite). Throughout our 3 night stay - sleep quality was poor.

Breakfast was good within the Club Lounge - it did get busy though. Evening drinks and canapés in the Lounge could be better organised... everybody squeezed onto a couple of lounges - not conducive to private conversations.

Very disappointed with the hotel would not recommend and would never stay again.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room on the convention centre side. Double check with the hotel at least 2 days pri...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear jinnine r

Hope this message find you well - contacted you directly via email.